Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Sway's W210 E55 Daily Journal

9K views 57 replies 12 participants last post by  NGough 
#1 ·
I took the risk of picking up a rebuilt 2001 E55 with 85k miles. The car was impacted on the driver side front bumper, air bags deployed...declared total loss. Also, the car had limited history of maintenance records. I took it for a spin, looked closely at it for about an hour. No signs of rust, body looks good..paint was decent, interior is mint and everything worked. Had a reputable indy shop take a closer look. They presented me with a laundry list of things to do. Long story short, negotiated with the seller and the rest is history. This will be my new daily, beats commuting my 1999 LX470 to work!

Anyways, I am creating this thread to document the service I've done, doing and will be doing. Cheers!

Bought on April 28th, 2017.

Service history:

May 1st, 2017
Full brakes service done. New OEM rotors, pads and fresh fluid (Akebono EUR603 and EUR682 pads $122) (OEM rotors fronts $220 each, rear $60 each) (brake fluid dot4 5 liter)
Oil and filter change (mobil 1 ow40 $50 w/Mann-Filter HU 718/5 X Metal-Free Oil Filter $11)

May 7th, 2017
Engine mounts replaced (Boge OEM Germany $105.83)
Transmission mount replaced (Lemfoerder $25)
Valve gaskets replaced on both sides w/new hoses (VICTOR REINZ $66)
Steering rack replaced with fresh fluid (BuyAutoParts remanufactured $431 w/$175 refundable core deposit OEM fluid 2 liters $27)
Alignment (Les Schwab $105)

To do:
Engine air filter
spark plugs
Output shaft seal rear A/T replacement
Differential side cover seal replacement
transmission fluid flush
coilovers

Here she is, what a view! :grin

2001 E55 AMG-2 by V. Josh F, on Flickr

See less See more
#5 ·
No problem! I was in the same boat for a while. I went through this forum like a hawk...reading everything. I looked at e320s and e430s for a bit...then came across this e55 and was sold the min I sat in it. If you look at that e55, def have it checked out at a shop. I noticed you are in Washington too...is this e55 on craigslist? I noticed there's a couple on there, one with like 200k and the other with 120ish I think.

#9 ·
Thanks, Raymond! Right on man, another Washingtonian. Are there meets that happen every now and then? I would like to meet other enthusiasts one of these days.

Love the Lemay, I need to go back! Right now they have the exotics on their main display, would love to check that one out.

#26 ·
I don't believe so... but I haven't researched the process but my friend who used to be a tech for Mercedes just mentioned that there's oil around the rear driveshaft flex joint and should replace the output shaft rear seal. Have you done this before?

#30 ·
My dog ripped the passenger front seat. =( There's a tear now. Long story short...I had all doors opened while I was vacuuming and when one of my dogs saw me on the driver side, he got excited and bolted towards me and jumped into the car and landed on the front seat. When he did this, his claw ripped the freaking leather. I will post a pic soon.

#31 ·
woof ! a few years ago, I took the rear seat bench out and set an XL pet airline
crate behind the driver's seat. drove 350 miles to pick up a 6 month old
german shepherd pup. by the time I got back to Seattle, he had chewed up
the plastic/noise dampening blanket which is positioned above the battery
compartment. I never did replace it but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm
going to look up the part number and nose around.

I wish your repair was just as easy and similarly priced but I suspect not. What
breed is the rascal in your doghouse ? :)

#46 ·
Muffler + resonater delete.... It sounds amazing. Now I am itching to get headers. :grin
I'd like to do this same mod with my 55, looks like some clean work, where did you get this done?

#35 ·
Going to work on a few small cosmetic mods before I dive into suspension. Got a hood emblem, looking forward to replacing the star. Going to refinish the headlights then apply vinyl overlays for protection. Going to add overlays to the fogs and side markers as well. Will paint the rear emblems black pearl to try and match the window trim. I have a few things up my sleeve that I may do...I like to be different and stand out so don't be surprise with what I come up with. Like or not....it only matters to me. :grin

Pics for today!

e55-4

e55

#36 ·
No pics sorry, but will add some soon. Last night, I replaced the star with hood emblem from JBSPEED. It looks fantastic. My stupid self though when attempting to install the hood emblem I dropped the screw that tightens somewhere in the engine bay. I couldn't find it after searching forever....I dropped the pan cover too. So, instead I just cleaned the area good and used 3m double sided to mount. I added a little too much but its on there good and looks solid. I will post pics soon.

I also painted the grille. I've seen a lot of black painted grilles and it looks good but I wanted to try something different. I wanted to try and get the brush metal black look. I used 4 coats of black plasti, 3 coats of the gray metalizer plasti, 4 coats of glossifier and a few coats of duplicolor clear wheel paint. Came out amazing. I am going to paint match the rear emblems now this color as well.

Stay tune for pics.

#40 ·
Thanks man! Love the black finish but always a pain to keep clean! Your ride is so clean though, makes me want that color. lol Thanks for the link too, something to think about.

Are you going to the 50th AMG anniversary thing up in Woodinville this Sunday? I'll be there representing and we need more W210's there!
Sorry man, I missed out! Wish I could have been there. I've been in Hawaii since the 10th. Coming back to Washington on the 27th. NIce long vacay. =)

How did it go? If I was back home, I would have been there with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.