Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1998 w210 290tdt Limp Home Mode

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  smeen 
#1 ·
Hallo Thangs for my menbership

My English is not werry good apologise in front..

I have an w210 290tdt 1998 e-class, this car has a 722.6 transmission, I have over a long time had problems with limp home mode, I have replaced all the usual parts I will make a list over what I have replaced.

Conductor plate x3
Cable plug in transmission x2
Oil and filter several times
All springs in the valve plate
All valves
Complete transmission from another part car that I have ( working perfect In the spare part car )
Done all above with this transmission also
It has been 3 transmissions in the car and all ow them have the same error
Changed transmission module x3
No oil where it should not be oil.
Have replaced all the modules in the car, taken from spare car, everything with key etc.
Changed MAF
Changed all temp sensors
Changed engine sensor crankshaft
Have measured all earth points in car
Changed all cables from module to transmission
Replaced earth cable from battery to chassis
Changed battery
Changed instrument cluster
Changed brake light switch
Changed all brake light bulb
Changed gear selector inside the car
Measured all ABS sensors
Measured CAN all right voltage
Diesel pump measured ok
All vacuum check ok

Everything I have replaced is ether new or taken from a working spare part car.

I have noticed if I take of the battery for some time before I drive the transmission is working perfect, then I tur off the engine then start it up then the transmission is back in Limp Home Mode.
I have used Carsoft to delete and read codes, when transmission is in Limp Mode I get code 147 from the module.

Does anyone have any tips to give me?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello:)

What I understand, you changed the complete transmission several times with supposedly working ones and you still have the same limp-in problem. I assume the transmission control modules match transmission you had changed (else you would have other codes too). If this is the case, maybe the transmission is / was fine but some external issues caused it to go to limp-in mode (mechanical). One of the main reasons for code 147 is the low ATF, or plugged ATF filter. You had also replaced those. One thing that can cause the problems you have is contamination of the ATF with the coolant through the ATF cooler lines in the radiator. I see that you gave not changed the radiator or checked the ATF cooler lines for leaks. Maybe it is something to look at.

#3 ·
Hallo thanks for reply.
You are mentioning things that I have forgotten to write up in the post I cannot find any edit options

I have check the oil lines and the cooler, I do not have any contamination in the oil, yes filter and oil is bean changed several times, yes, the modules is to the transmission.

#6 ·
Solved
To others who have similar fault, I did find my fault at last, I did notice that if I lock/unlock the car before I restarted the engine I did not get Limp Mode, I did therefor replace the central lock pump. After the pump was replaced the car have not gone in Limp Mode.

Thanks for all other suggestions.

#7 ·
I do not see any relationship between the PSE pump and the transmission limp mode. Are you sure your car actually had a transmission limp mode (stuck in one gear) ? So what you are saying is, if someone has a problem with the central locking )PSE) pump, the car will go into transmission limp mode ?

I assume your transmission is 722.6xx.

#8 ·
I did not see any relationship between the PSE pump and the*transmission*limp mode therefore I didn’t replace it earlier

Yes, no doubt my transmission was in limp Mode

Yes, my transmission is a 722.6

No I does not say Limp Mode always will happen if PSE problems, but in my case, it had, my guess is the electronic inside the pump have made some problems in the electric in the car so my transmission entered Lim Mode on restart of Engine

#9 ·
Intriguing problem, as the PSE is on the CANB bus (can bus for the body control electronics) which is isolated from the engine / transmission can bus. (CAN-C).

Do you still have the 147 code with your carsoft code reader ? It seems to be somewhat unrelated to PSE. Also did you just look at the TCM codes or codes from all modules ? (If the PSE was bad, I would have thought it would provided some fault code). I am sure you solved your problem with the PSE, I am just trying to understand how it could affect the transmission especially possibly generate 147 code.

I would make sure the battery is good. The old PSE was probably leaking vacuum or not generating enough, so it was running most of the time, demanding power..

#10 ·
All modules was checkt no other codes except the transmission 147.
No code 147 is not present anymore after replacing PSE
The old PSE was ok no leak and no unusual running.
I did not have any high-power draining ether.

Why the PSE did cause this fault for me I can’t explain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.