Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Castrol Edge Engine Oil 0W40

8K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  hamada128 
#1 ·
Picked up the Castrol Edge 0W40 while shopping at Walmart for oil for my E320/M112 for $23 per 5 qts and you can still claim a movie ticket ($13 value) at Castrolpromotion.com
It has MB 229.3/229.5 approval and Made in Belgium (not in Germany as it was before).
Not trying to start an oil war, but has anyone used it before and what is your feedback?

Walmart.com has it for $26 but in store for $23:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/35931146...44a1-a501-a8d206acd10b&adpgm=hl&pltfm=desktop

Castrol rebate link:
Castrol Promotions, Sales And Coupons | Castrol United States | Castrol - Motor Oil, Engine Oils, Full Synthetic Oil, Transmission Fluid and Lubricants

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Have been using it on my gasoline MB for years.
I liked Castrol when driving in Europe and when I send samples of M1 - it come with high iron, so I was very happy finding Castrol at Walmart.
Still waiting for Shell Helix to make it to USA so would have good diesel oil as well.
Shell is USA-based, isn't it?

#7 · (Edited)
Dutch?
Holland is a country in size of San Francisco Bay Area, yet they supply fuel to whole World.
They also supply soap to the world (Unilever) :) (also joint UK-Dutch company)

There was a time (1600s?)when Dutch East India Company virtually ruled world commerce.

And don't forget New Amsterdam was a Dutch colony (now NYC!) :)

Main Question: Yes, I use Castrol synthetic on my R107. I still use Mobil on my W210 but buy it at Walmart when in USA. Crazy prices for it in Canada. Castrol is often on sale and quite a bit cheaper.

#5 ·
For all practical purposes there is no difference between various brands that have the MB 229,5 approval. So buy whatever is cheapest. Mobil has a rebate that gets you a jug for under $14.

By all means be loyal to your brand, but understand that there is no real reason for it.

History lesson: Shell was a British oil company. Royal Dutch was an oil company in the Netherlands. In 1907 they merged to form Royal Dutch Shell, with headquarters in the Netherlands but incorporated in the UK. So technically, Shell is a British company.

#6 ·
Agree with you on the MB spec approval. I really don't like to be loyal to one brand and like to try different oil companies and viscosity within approved limits.
Also with Castrol at $23 with a movie ticket for $13, it will be a $2/qt which is even cheaper than conventional oil.

#9 ·
Again, Mobil1 generates high iron and in internet discussion, M1 representative chooses not to answer the question.
Than you will find on other forum, where Bluetec engines, maintained by dealers seized at less than 100k due the oil turning into semi-solid jello. Most likely it was a case where dealer used older MB specification for used oil, but still not something you want to see.
From what I observe in Europe, the most recommended lately are semi-synthetics.
Still from long list of MB approved oils, we can barely find couple in USA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.