post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 2002 MB E240T, 6 speed Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Airbag Light

Hello everyone, I have finally gotten my 2002 E240T running after replacing the motor. Now I am preparing the car for the 2 year inspection in Germany.

My SRS light has been on since shortly after I got the car, I finally got around to getting it scanned and came back with the following codes.

B1863 Belt pretensioner driver's side resistance too high (stayed after tech erased the codes)
B1010 the supply voltage 15R/15 is too low (went away when tech erased the codes)

I have tried cleaning and re-seating the connector for the seatbelt, also swapping it with another seatbelt from another vehicle with no luck in removing the SRS light.

So my question is,
What is the problem? Could anyone give me any tips on where to look to solve it.

Thank you,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Hello

After you replace the belt with pretensioner (provided that the replacement works) I believe you need to get the codes cleared again. If the code does not clear, it is likely the cable / connector to the Restraints controller. The technician can simulate the seatbelt squib resistance with a resistor around 3 ohms connected to the cable connector to check the cabling / connector.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboca View Post
Hello

After you replace the belt with pretensioner (provided that the replacement works) I believe you need to get the codes cleared again. If the code does not clear, it is likely the cable / connector to the Restraints controller. The technician can simulate the seatbelt squib resistance with a resistor around 3 ohms connected to the cable connector to check the cabling / connector.
Hi, thanks for the fast response!
I was under the impression that the SRS light would stay on for a few seconds/minutes depending (according to what I have read from others) then go away if the problem is resolved, but would need to clear the code anyways from the computer since they are stored. Is the restraints controller whats under the radio near the 12v cigarette plug? Is there anyway to test this myself or is it better left to the techs?

Thanks again,
David

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:04 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Nope. When it comes to airbags, Mercedes requires the codes to be cleared before the lights will turn off....and that includes after fixing the problem that caused the code in the first place.

So replace the seat belt, then have the codes cleared.

--1998 MB E300TD 285k
--1997 MB E320 198k
--2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 212k and holding (damn gas guzzler)
--2011 Suzuki DL650 44k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
--1998 MB ML320 207k. SOLD, thank heavens!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:04 PM
Outstanding Contributor

As I recall, if the battery is disconnected, with an airbag left disconnected, then the battery is re-connected, you will have an SRS warning lamp, and it needs to be cleared with an appropriate scanner that can do this. I think it works the same with the seatbelt squibs too. The Restraints unit N2/7 is in front of the shifter under the radio.

If you know EXACTLY what you are doing, and have the tools / components you can test it, but due to possible serious injury while working on the SRS system, it is best left to the qualified technicians. The following are links to testing procedures for B1863.

STAR TekInfo

Item 17.2 above

STAR TekInfo

Figure 2 (note the warnings)

Hopefully, with your seatbelt change the error code clears so you do not have get the cable test done.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
For what its worth, its really possible to trigger the airbags with the car off.

I recommend having connecting the scanner and just clear the codes and be done with it.... testing the airbag systems while live has potential for triggering.

The following pictures are from a customer car I was working on when the airbags went off. W220 2004 S500.

The key was off (battery connected, however) and I was programming the new CGW module that was just installed. When the computer programs the CGW, it also (briefly) codes the SRS module with the new serial number of the CGW.

I was sitting on the driver seat, leaning into the center console and playing with my phone while the programming was going on. The laptop was on my stomach with the lid resting on the steering wheel.

When the programming went to roughly 70% indicated -- i don't remember exactly -- the airbag suddenly went off. This is with the key out, mind you. Beside a demolished laptop (and wasn't that a pain to set up the new laptop to just how I like it, plus reinstalling all the softwares, etc), I was fine...due to my leaning into the center console, I completely missed the airbag.

Damn thing went off like a gunshot, with the sound and everything. Scared the crap out of me.

As it turns out, the car was a salvage car (thanks to CA flood) and the customer neglected to inform me of that little fact. It was submerged up all the way to the navigation.

Sooooo.....play it safe and take it to a shop to plug it in the scanner and be done with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170225_200543.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	2145466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170225_200556.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	2145474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170225_200603.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	2145482  
raymond- and hamada128 like this.

--1998 MB E300TD 285k
--1997 MB E320 198k
--2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 212k and holding (damn gas guzzler)
--2011 Suzuki DL650 44k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
--1998 MB ML320 207k. SOLD, thank heavens!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Ouch.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info everyone. I will take it to a shop and have them reset it and hope that the seatbelt is the problem and not the wiring. I'm hoping so because the old seatbelt had a rattling noise when I shook it like the canister was filled with marbles or something (seemed to be triggered). The other one from the donor car did not make this sound.

That's pretty crazy to hear that even with the key out of the ignition @Deplore that the airbag went off. I thought there was a security system in place to avoid incidents like this?

So just to clarify, the error code B1863 has to do with the wiring/connector or the seatbelt, nothing else? If the techs try to say its something else like the Airbag control module or something, what should I do?

Thanks,
David
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Outstanding Contributor

"So just to clarify, the error code B1863 has to do with the wiring/connector or the seatbelt, nothing else? If the techs try to say its something else like the Airbag control module or something, what should I do?"

If the controller had other problems, it would have recorded other problems. Ask him to get a printout, and post it here.

Regarding the key off airbag issue, I do not think the MB engineers really expected the CGW modules reprogrammed anywhere other than their dealerships. Probably the procedure would have required them to disconnect all airbags prior to such action (after few incidents and complaints like the above).

Also note that, if the airbag or tensioner had been operated (you say the tensioner at the driver's side did) the cable connector coupler melts due to the heat generated from the squib. The cable harness needed to be replaced in the past but I see that they can repair it as attached.

Show your technician the attached to order the right parts if the code does not clear with the replacement seatbelt.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 25-Airbag.pdf (183.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by mrboca; 04-20-2017 at 01:32 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboca View Post
"So just to clarify, the error code B1863 has to do with the wiring/connector or the seatbelt, nothing else? If the techs try to say its something else like the Airbag control module or something, what should I do?"

If the controller had other problems, it would have recorded other problems. Ask him to get a printout, and post it here.

Regarding the key off airbag issue, I do not think the MB engineers really expected the CGW modules reprogrammed anywhere other than their dealerships. Probably the procedure would have required them to disconnect all airbags prior to such action (after few incidents and complaints like the above).
Thanks for the clarification, I'm just not trusting when it comes to mechanics after my previous experiences which is why I take it on myself to learn how to and repair my own problems. In USD what should it cost roughly to get the wiring/connectors diagnosed, and changed? I don't want to get shafted too hard.

There were no other codes the two times I had it scanned. First time I couldn't find my pen for the code but it was the same thing, I just didn't know the exact code to post about it.

Oh yeah, the way it is here in Germany and the laws regarding safety, disconnecting all the airbags would be a sure step to take among 10 other preventive measures : So I would assume they would make any other MB stealership follow the same steps.

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.