Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Transmission Hard/Clunky Shift. Can MAF cause?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  e-420 
#1 ·
I bought a nice condition 1996 e320 for commuting while I work on my custom build. I noticed on my e420 that it shifted smoother, this one is noticeable, a bit clunky especially from 2-3rd unless accelerating fast. I have another dipstick from my 430 with a custom temp gague to get at 80 degrees, and have checked the transmission fluid many times. Transmission level was perfect and clean. I reset the ecu and about 10 minutes into the drive I got a CE "Engine Electronics" warning on dash. I checked and got P0170 which I have read around here is usually MAF and can sometimes be solved by cleaning the MAF sensor (if someone has that DIY I would appreciate it!). Ran the car a few more days and thats the only code that has come up.

What is the likelihood of the MAF causing the transmission shifting problem?

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
The transmission for 1996 E320 is an older transmission, so I am not sure how valid it will be to measure the ATF level with a dipstick designed for E430 which has 722.6.

For the DIY for MAF cleaning, go to the top of this page where you see stickies, and you will be able to find a sticky on how to clean a MAF.

A dirty MAF can cause hesitation and delayed response when you accelerate, and sometimes rough idle / stall when engine is warmed up.

#7 ·
2002 E320 4Matic

My 2002 E320 only has 161,000 kms (100,000 miles).

I only have one issue with it.

When I am slowing down it sometimes changes down with a thud or clunk (not bad, but irritating), especially when turning into a street uphill.

Any suggestion?

Thanks for your help.

#10 ·
your e320 and your e420 have much different transmissions, which may account for the difference in shift feel. the e420 was the first w210 with the 722.6 5 speed, the 96 e320 had a older transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.