Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

98e320 stalled no start

917 views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  mrboca 
#1 ·
While dealing with p0410 and p0105,p0173 and related codes car seem to be running fine with the codes. Now I was driving slowed for traffic car lost power and cut out . Cranks but won't start, key seems to stick in start position, no feul gage but there's lite pressure at ck valve, I did have 12v at the 1injector plug I ckd .i ordered a CPS and feul filter awaiting delivery.any similar experiences , the car has not started after 2days and several attempts just cranks

#6 ·
These codes can be the symptoms rather than the cause. When one gets multiple hard failure codes from different components, then there must be a common source of the problem. After leaving your car overnight, check the battery voltage at the charging posts under the hood with engine not running. You should see a minimum of 12.4 V. If less, slow charge the battery overnight.

For the Crankcase position sensor issue, check the tachometer movement when you crank the car.

The next thing is check your fuses on the K40 relay module (under the hood, passenger side in the module box.

Check your fuel pump relay and the fuse (under the rear seat)

For the voltage readings at the individual components like the MAF, read your previous thread on the same subject.

#7 ·
Got it thanks fellas you're a tremendous help you cause me to remember that morning I did hear my feul pump unusually loud ,as usual I over looked it and assumed it was just because for once I didn't have the radio on . Nevertheless I went to junk yard got on and filter because I have to move my car sweeper day and can't wait for the one I ordered in mail . Fired right up thanks again .so far no ck eng light,up date in a few days

#9 ·
Ok cars been running well BUT p0170 ,p0173 .and p0410 came back for 5days .and are now gone this morning , question if I'm getting these codes together intermittently, is it likely a wast of money to change o2s , or maf which I did install a bremi MAF , I don't know how reliable they are . I'll mention I'm waiting on a air tube to inhale seal any suggestions on trying to keep these code away.

#10 ·
Do not waste any money without knowing exactly what is going on, basically the cause and the symptoms. It is difficult to remote diagnose based on what you describe, however:

1) You have fuel trim issues which are based on the signals from the O2 sensors. The chances of two sensors becoming bad is low, so it has to be a common cause that affects both banks.

2) You have air injection (emission related) system issues (P0410) which tells that the detection mechanism detected an error. How this is done is at each driving cycle the air injection pump is operated, pumped air is injected into to the exhaust sides which should be detected (high oxygen level) by the O2 sensors and the O2 sensor output is monitored for high O2 output. If detected the system is not faulty. The air injection pump runs for about 90 seconds at cold start, and during this time the O2 sensors are not monitored.

3) If you have an intermittent problem with the air injection system (stuck pump relay, stuck switchover valve), this will allow either air injected into the system or a exhaust-to- inlet manifold leak which changes the air/fuel ratio, and hence the O2 sensor values.

4)To isolate the problem I would disable the air injection system for testing, and see if the P0170/73 codes come back. You will definitely have the P0410, as the system is not running while testing. You can remove the connector to the switchover valve, and the orange 40 amp fuse (for the air pump) on K40 realy module (at the passenger side under the module box lid)

5) If you have P0410 but not the P0170/73, then it is likely you have an intermittent problem with the emission control system.

#11 ·
Ok I put a new f/p and filter ,p0173,and p0170 codes are gone . Know I have "p0400 & p0410 pending . A hard p0105 changed all vac hoses .code is laughing at me . Do those map sensors go out often?i did test vac pump it's good and working.im going after the vac distrution block in the morning give opinions.im a tinkerer and this ck engine light is killing me Larry LOL

#12 ·
As I said before, check the electrical connection to the MAP. If you have P0105 you either have and open / short to ground or short to positive so your MAP sensor is not reacting to the pressure changes as expected (maybe intermittently). You can monitor the pressure through a scanner that can show the MAP readings.

#14 ·
Update !after ckg connections.i replaced map sensor with one I had around ,and the sec air Pump valve and all the vac hoses.light went off but came back. So I went to dealer picked up the Crank case breather conector .ie intake vac splitter. Any way , for the help of others you have to be very careful removing hoses and or the 2 tubular fitting that that allows the joining of hoses and connector very brittle when old. Buy new ones connector was 13$ fittings 5 each . If fittting is old there's a tube that comes out of it that go"a down into throttle body . It will break off the old one in the process of working it out ,you won't know unless you have the replacement to identity missing part. You must get it out or new one won't go in. To do so you must open butterfly on thorottle body ,put your finger under the piece of stuck broken tube and push it down and through catching the pieces so the don't get lost in there might be bad . If it's brittle it's going to come through in pieces . I installed new conector and hoses. Also changed CPS just to make my life miserable ? may harder than they said ouch make sure engine is cold . Not bad once you figure out how . Swivel and exstentions . Didn't clear code they went away with some driving

#15 ·
So in closing that vac connector at back of intake or thorottlebody , can cause 400,410 codes. All vac line as stated many times , and feul pump and or filter /regulator , will give duel feul trim code if faulty 173&170 or related,as well as the other obvious stated code decryptions which mean more $$$ you've all been a tremendous help for a Mercedes rookie thank I've learned a lot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.