Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2000 e320 bas/esp

753 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mrboca 
#1 ·
Ok. First I have searched the forums and found several posts on this but here is my problem with this. I have a 2000 e320, the brake lights went out on it and bas/esp came up. After looking through the forums I have tried everything. I replaced the brake light switch, genuine Mercedes-Benz part. Replaced all the fuses under the hood, in the car, and under the back seat. Pulled the negative battery terminal. Warning and malfunction lights were gone. Drove it for about 30 minutes and then they came back on and I have no brake lights or cruise control again.
Any help to this would be appreciated as I am doing this as a project car since I only paid 500 for it from someone who was hard up for money. Everything else is solid on the car and only has about 130k on it. Any suggestions or links that you have here are greatly appreciated you can post here or feel free to email me ryan_g715@yahoo.com
Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

#3 ·
Any codes? First check the OBDII codes but you may have to go to the dealer or an indie to have the codes read from the 38 pin connector under the hood. It's probably a failed sensor but, without the codes, you'll just be shooting in the dark, which can get expensive.

Fred

#4 ·
Have you checked the fuse panel on the side of the dash at the driver's side ? The fuse for the brake lights and cruise control are in that fuse panel. Maybe it is a loose fuse holder (as reported by some).

Open the driver's door, and locate the lid at the side of the dash (near the light control knob).
Remove the lid and locate fuse 2.

Check for looseness.

#5 ·
This literally just happened to me today as well. I have checked every fuse and done pretty much everything stated besides go to the dealer. It is a bit confusing. I have had my 2000 E320 for almost a year now and it has stayed perfect the entire time. Has the same mileage too lol.

#6 · (Edited)
To isolate whether the brake light problem stems from the ESP,

With the gear in Neutral, press the ESP OFF switch. The ESP warning lights up.

Press the brake pedal. Do the brake lights work ?

Also when did the ESP light come on ? During start up or during driving ? If driving at what speed ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.