Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

0715 Conductor Plate Replacement - Please verify

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
Hi, I've searched this and found conflicting answers. Can someone verify that after replacing the conductor plate, plug, gasket & almost 5lt. of fluid, (all genuine MB parts & fluid), that in order for the trans to operate/shift correctly, the 0715 fault code must be cleared by a star system?

As it stands, it operates and throws the same 0715 code as both before and after the service, still staying stuck in limp mode. I have forward & reverse and I believe stuck in 1st or 2nd. Shifts hard into D&R and the fluid level is right.

The 0715 reoccurs almost instantly after clearing it with a cheap obd2, and disconnecting the battery or resetting the trans had no effect.

One thread I came across stated by a master technician is that after doing the service, the problem would correct itself and begin shifting normally again, but others say it must go to the dealer to be cleared to begin operating normally again.

With the number of great tutorials available, the service seemed to go perfectly. The car is virtually still a cream-puff with a little over 100k. It's not driven very much and not hard. The pan seemed very clean with no brass in it.

Thank you!

See less See more
#3 ·
According to a great source, yes you need a tech to clear tranny codes....

I just saw Kent Bergsma of Mercedes Source on You Tube talk on this.

He has a series of videos on maintaining & correcting issues on the 722.6 tranny, showing an e320 wagon he had done the major (major, minor) like conductor plate, connector & new filter & fluid.

He was sure the work would correct the funny shifts / limp mode once that had been done.

But he still had to visit a dedicated "Car Tech" Indie shop - where the owner had the specific software to clear the MB trans failure codes.

The guy charged him $90 to do so.

And Kent stressed that once the work is done & you're hopeful you've addressed the root casues, you'll have to search out either:

- A MB dealer
- A German MB independent shop
- An Auto Tech shop that has MB trans code diagnose / erase capability

Kent went the last type of shop. I imagine so his viewers grasp that its not just MB Dealers or Indie MB shops ONLY who can do this, but some broader type of Auto Tech shops.

It seems the only risk is that if you didn't acutally do work needed to clear the root issue, that you'll have to do more & visit the shop again and pay twice.

But, probably cheaper by far than paying anyone to rebuild / perform major service work on that 722.6

Look up Kents YouTube videos - he had like 24 for w210 sedan / wagon and a bunch were for 722.6's in whatever MB they reside in.

Cheers - David in East Texas :eek

#4 ·
I think you got the sequence of actions backwards. When you get a CEL of P0715 and a limp mode, you need to get the transmission codes (those stored in the Transmission Control Module) read, and find out what the actual problem is. The P0715 is a generic code from the OBD2 port which can mean one or more of several transmission issues.

Then you start fixing the problem, starting with checking the 13 pin plug adapter. In significant number of case there is no real need to do the conductor plate replacement, the problem ends up being the contamination of the TCM / cable / connector which cost much less to fix.

You cannot just clear the P7015 code, as it will be updated by the TCM. You need to clear the codes in the TCM first with a suitable scanner, then the P0715 from the ECM.

You can go to any auto repair shop who can access the TCM codes with their equipment (Snap-On, Star, Delphi, Launch, Carsoft with the 38 pin adapter and personality key, if applicable).

#5 ·
Thanks everyone! Sounds like whether the problem has been corrected by the service I have just performed addresses the problem or not, I will definitely need to take it to a shop and have both the codes read as well as cleared.

Given the mileage, even if the plate was not ultimately the culpit, having replaced it along with the 13 pin conductor plug and partial fluid change, I consider it preventitive maintainence well due and won't consider it a waste. Plus, although I was somewhat apphrensive, I enjoyed it and learned.

I'll have the TCM codes addressed by a qualified shop in the next few days and repost. I'm eager to see the results.

#6 ·
The diagnostics were read today and codes cleared. So far all seems good. I've only put about 20 miles on it so far, but the transmission seems to be shifting normally while relearning my driving habits.

I feel like I lucked out a bit since as mrboca said, there could have been something else causing the 0715 code. Next time around I'll follow the advice and have the diagnostic first.

Next thing on the list is plugs. The shop said plugs not changed at 30k intervals are hard on the CAT's, and its way, way overdue. Is this actually true, or is the shop hunting more business?

Regardless there's no real argument that the plugs should be done. I've just not heard this before about plugs on CAT's.

Thanks again!

#12 ·
Next thing on the list is plugs. The shop said plugs not changed at 30k intervals are hard on the CAT's, and its way, way overdue. Is this actually true, or is the shop hunting more business?

Regardless there's no real argument that the plugs should be done. I've just not heard this before about plugs on CAT's...
I think you need to find a shop that's not telling you this kind of BS. Did they also tell you to get your muffler bearings replaced?

Plug are 100K item. The other part is time. If left too long, they can seize to the threads in the cylinder heads. I think five years is the recommended interval.

The only way old plugs would degrade the cats is if one failed to the point it was causing a misfire but you would get a CEL in that case.

Fred

#7 ·
Shop is hunting for more business.

As long as the car is running fine, you don't have power loss or MPG loss, spark plugs do not need to be changed.

My ML320 was still running on original spark plugs....at 207k when I changed them out -- and only because I had 1 cylinder misfire.

#8 ·
"Next thing on the list is plugs. The shop said plugs not changed at 30k intervals are hard on the CAT's, and its way, way overdue. Is this actually true, or is the shop hunting more business? "

The 30k interval part is not true. If your engine is running smooth and no misfires, I would leave them alone. I would rather invest in a bluetooth scanner ($20) and an app like TorquePro, and observe the fuel trims (short and long, and total) with engine idling. If they are within specs, then your engine management is doing a good job of maintaining proper air to fuel ratio.

A catalytic converter can degrade if your car runs too lean or too rich for extended periods of time, and they are pretty robust to last a very long time provided that the air to fuel ratio is well controlled.

#9 ·
Good/thanks, at the moment I'd rather put the plugs off if I can. It does have one or both valve cover gaskets leaking, and I would rather address the plugs in the future when the gaskets are done. Another thing they told me, (without looking), is that since at least one of the valve covers is leaking, they guarantee that the rear main seal is also leaking. Said they never seen one that didn't. ~ok?

The shop supported the 30k plug service saying when the plugs degrade, the coils are additionally stressed by having to make the plugs hot enough for the right fuel mixture. Therefore indirectly saying worn plugs while harder on the CAT's, are also harder on the coils too. Sounded somewhat convincing, but not enough to not question.

Regarding the mileage I stated in my opening thread, the actual mileage is a little less, and just over 96k. FWIW, the plugs could be the originals since I purchased the car from a friend, (original owner), in 2009 at 37k, and I doubt he had them replaced

mrboca, it seems to run smooth, and I don't sense any misfiring. A quick search indicates TorquePro is better suited for the Android platform. Anything recommended particularly for apple products? I can see the benefits...

#10 ·
For the scanner, you could buy the wi-fi version of Veepak. If you read the comments on the product, you can find several apps like the OBD doctor etc. that will work with your phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Scanner-Adapter-Diagnostic-Trouble/dp/B00WPW6BAE

"Another thing they told me, (without looking), is that since at least one of the valve covers is leaking, they guarantee that the rear main seal is also leaking. Said they never seen one that didn't. ~ok? "

NOT OK . I have not heard this nonsense before. If they told me this, I would have run away (not walk away) from that shop.

"The shop supported the 30k plug service saying when the plugs degrade, the coils are additionally stressed by having to make the plugs hot enough for the right fuel mixture. Therefore indirectly saying worn plugs while harder on the CAT's, are also harder on the coils too. Sounded somewhat convincing, but not enough to not question."

Really... Never knew that the spark plugs and coils determined the right mixture :) The spark plugs for your car are 100K plus platinum/ double platinum so they last a long time. You can get the plugs changed when you have the val cover gasket job done, and make sure they use the right plugs for your car.

#11 ·
Based on "time" - fresh plugs would be a OK thing... but nothing to do with cats.. E420's however failing/failed engine mounts "do" .

Plugs, like $85 from Amazon OE Bosch.. if you don't wrench.. find a shop to do it for you in/under 2 shops hours.. it's not rocket science..

#13 ·
I ditto Deplore's experience on plugs lasting long time.
Due to some confusion with records reading, I replaced plugs on my E320 at over 150k miles.
I observe mpg religiously and the 320 in W211 body has computer displaying mpg pretty accurate.
So new plugs after 150k made no noticeable change -even the center electrodes on old ones were gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.