Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Weights on E420 119 engine harmonic balancer?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  e-420 
#1 ·
In the process of replacing crankshaft seal on 1997 E420. Noted that there was some damage to the original harmonic balancer, so I got a use replacement. In comparing the two (see pic - original on left), I noticed that the original appears to have some small balancing weights attached (pic attached) while the replacement does not. Is this going to cause a problem using the replacement harmonic balancer?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Weights are added only when needed.
Question is why the replacement doesn't have it. Could be they were removed.
I would be carefuly looking for discoloration where the weights might be.
Does this HB has rubber in it?
In those years MB had issues with rubber quality, so installing used one, that comes with the problem might be short-lived solution.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Kajtek1. I can't see any signs that weights were removed from the used one. This HB does have rubber between the central shaft and outside balance ring. Just eyeballing it, they both appear to be in about the same condition.

Reason I'm changing is I noticed damage to the key way (see pic) so thought I'd replace it.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Sounds like the replacement come with perfect balancing without the weights.
Doesn't happen very often, but possible.
How much new HB cost and how much labor it takes to replace it?
Putting 20 years old rubber part on the car comes with mixed feelings, even when it looks good. Especially when the part rotate at 5-6000 rpm
The old one had been messed with. The key is just for index, while the HB is kept on the shaft by friction from huge torque.

#6 ·
M119 harmonic balancer appears to be very very robust, unlike the harmonic balancer on some other MB models. My experience is a harmonic balancer is good for the life of an engine in the vast vast majority of cases. Decades and Decades and huge number of miles.

BTW the balancer on my M119 has no weights, the E420 a very small weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.