Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

? Scanner ?

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Al_Savage 
#1 ·
Anyone here know of a scanner that does not cost a fortune that will do engine,trans,abs,ect on my 97 e300d? I have been looking at these things and it seems the 210 cars are not covered.Any body know why this is?:confused:

#2 · (Edited)
the appropriate tool will not be cheap because the sensors can easily be specific
to MB. the simple ODBII are not sophisticated enough to pull those codes, most
of which require a device which docks with the round 38 pin connector under
the hood next to the main fuse cluster

that will do engine,trans,abs,ect on my 97 e300d
displaying the codes is one thing. resetting or programming is another.

article (not endorsing)

nuther article

i used AutoEnginuity unit before moving to MB SDS clone

#3 ·
After spending tens of hours trying to crack carsoft and no kudos, I found a reply from UK member prizing Polish-made scanner who works with USB and is straight forward download.
I could not get firm confirmation how far the scanner can dig into MB brains, but with less than $150 price, I have one in the mail.
Will post results once I do some testing.

#4 ·
#7 ·
Any reason to choose the Dell laptop version over the USB external HD version that supposedly works with any computer?

I have the early Carsoft and so far it has served my needs for our 98 E320. But actually, seldom used it, but it does work. It is installed on an old desktop computer and it seems whenever I needed codes read, I was away from home somewhere and had to get Indy or dealer to read codes :(

#5 · (Edited)
What Martin said.

I first went the legal-route and bought the CarSoft v12 package, but sold it at a steep loss six months later (due to falling Euro) when I found that it will not display the 722.6 transmission adaptation values. Then I went the stolen-software route and bought the Chinese SDS HDD at the link above, and a locally-sourced D630. It's not anything like turn-key, with a lot of fussing around and a fairly fragile setup, but it does what I want it to.

Neither option is cheap, but one works a lot better than the other.

#11 · (Edited)
I had 1998 W210 and now have 1998 SL500 where on both I could read transmission code from OBD. Just erasing them require 38-pin connector.

French
English (probably British)
Italian
German
Spanish
Dutch
Portuguese
Turkish
Polish
http://www.maxiecu.com/english screens show way more than the $600 scanners I have seen and looks more like scanner Deplore is using.
Than I should know soon enough. The package left Poland a week ago.

#9 ·
after trying a second laptop iwas able to get my early version of Autoenginuity to connect to my 97 E300D and was able to recover 3 codes,first was P200 ignition misfire.Second was P4 fuel volume regulator high (P4 is not a typo) the 3rd was Pa00U transmission. None of this makes no sense to me.I cleared them and will check to see if they come back.Iwould guess that they relate to the episode i had the other day.http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/2717689-limp-mode.html Any ideas on what these "codes" relate too.

TIA Don

#12 ·
Possibly Pa00u is P0A00U (maybe U for unknown ?)

P0A00 = Motor Electronics Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit

I would check the operation of the coolant sensor in any case. Just monitor it from the climate control hidden menu.

P4 is more like P0004 = Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit High

#10 ·
My understanding is that on the earlier W210s, no OBDII-connected tool will give you access to the transmission, ABS, body control modules, etc. systems, other that very generic codes for the transmission.

You can get accurate codes for the emissions control related functions and clear them. You can see generic transmission codes but cannot clear them.

#16 ·
My local friend bought C4 and a year after the purchase he is still learning how to make it working. That including guys from China remotely operating his laptop in California.
He helped me erase code on SL500.
Funny part his C4 did not show transmissions at all.
Yet when he clicked "Clear all the codes" the transmission start working.

#17 ·
Guys......

Their are many flavors of C4's, but what "I" can say is the one from the R129 site on post 14 which is what the guy who started the post bought, so.............. I'm following the recipe of "which one to buy".

Believe me I was confused with all the flavors of C4 on the market, and I wanted a 100% operation. It works flawless on everything I have hooked-it-up to early and late model cars.

As I have said before here, other portals of Benzworld is "Get that one??" from post 14 on the R129 site because I have that one, and others that are close to me have that unit too. They have no problems.

The things to be aware of:

A) It is not a easy system to use, okay.....

B) The vendor, aliexpress is secure to buy from

C) Aliexpress does not take all versions of credit cards....

D) lastly, do the wise thing of cloning the original Chinese drive in the C4 kit to a new SATA SSD(flash) hard drive, so the system is zippy-fast. This is talked-about on the R129 thread

E) Specify you want the hard drive configured for the Dell D630 when ordering, and NO(big NO....) it cannot be configured to your favorite existing laptop. The D630 has a serial port, and one cannot use a USB to serial converter(they do not work)...it will not work period.....You will waste money and spin your wheels if you try it....

That is the skinny on it..

Martin

#18 ·
Yep, the main post for this was on the R129 SL500 group.
Go there and search for it to allay your concerns about Ali Express.

Plenty of Dell D630 for about a bone on eBay, get more RAM if possible.
2 minutes to swap the drive. An hour to get it configured.

You will be entering about 32 characters twice in a timed out config.
You can do it online if you want, but consider whether thats a good idea.

Once its functioning it works well and the learning curve to use it is not bad
and much is very intuitive. Basically you will be scanning your car looking for
F codes, that need immediate attention and will be your diagnostic, and f codes
that are old remedied but not erases codes, (your cars history)

You will see Scan Icons and Erase Icons at the bottom of the software, and be
amazed at the functionality of the unit, but be careful of the connections as they
are somewhat fragile...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.