Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

So...the 97 e420...

6K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  cropduster 
#1 ·
Nice condition one with 147k on it, same owner since 1999. Is the 420 a good motor or as good as rhe e320 v6?

#3 ·
Obviously I like 5 liter in R129 better, but common knowledge is that 420 is good engine, although short production made for less knowledge about it.
But assuming you are buying the car for less than wheels alone cost when new, if the car passes inspection, you should have nice ride for few more years.

#9 ·
the 420 was used in the W210 for one year, but it was used in other models from the intro of the 5 liter till the end. Even the S class had the 420 in it.

I've got a 420 with 170K miles, wonderful engine, although as pointed out the 500 in the R129 does have more power.

the V8 give the car some nice power, still gets very good mileage, is smooth, and the E420 came equiped with many things the 320 had as options.

If it's in good shape, would make a nice car.

remember "I coulda had a V-8"

course I'm in a minority anymore, 3 rear wheel drive V-8's in the garage, 275 to over 400HP. no 6's no fwd, no awd.

BTW the E420 is an equal match for my 69 charger with the 383 high output that I had as a kid. But the 420 has at least 30mph in top end.

IMHO it's the mid 90's version of the 300SEL 6.3.

#6 ·
19-22 average mpg would not surprise me. E320 gets 25+ depending on driving habits.

You mean the M113 V8? I got one with 220000, no oil burning, gets decent gas mileage, and is smooth and strong as heck! Oh yeah, it requires sparks plugs to be changed every 100000 miles, IDK if anything can get better than that? ;)
No, M112 V6, since that's what OP asked for.

But even if I were to compare it to M113 V8, I'd still take the M119. Open deck, racing pedigree, higher top end torque... just my preference.

Also, dropping a 5 litre M119 from a W140 or R129 is easy... 50hp extra just from that.

#7 ·
Since I can't edit the post, I could see that Deplore meant to talk about the V6s, yeah you are right, the M119 must be a good engine as I heard a lot of good things about it(specifically from the owners lol). Regarding the MPG, if it is well maintained and all, you should get like 17 in the city, maybe 18 with less traffic and 23-24 on the highway with the M119. But on the side note, what is weird that a 1997 E320 does 0-60 in 6.7-6.8 sec vs an E420 with a V8(same car) does it in the same time! So no real advantage of getting the V8 when new, other than the V8 sound and pull on the highway.

#10 · (Edited)
no, the e420 is faster 0-60 in the tests i've seen is in the low to mid 6's. I've driven both, the 420 is clearly faster. and the 420 has way more kick when passing. they are close at 60, but from about 30 up the 420 is much more responsive and do a 50-80 for passing the 420 wins hands down . And a friend that has the 320 agrees after driving mine.

consumer reports had 0-60 in high 6's but they just mash the throttle with traction control on. Let me say that that give a great big BOG, even with stick 17" low profile tires when traction control kicks in and backs the throttle way down.

turn off traction control, add a little power braking, and see two nice black strips and nice times. even with traction control "off" it's still on, giving you a poor man's posi as it applies brake to the right rear tire.

I keep track of mileage, 16-18 is short town driving is what we get, 24-26 on the highway, which includes trips in Idaho, montana with 80mph speed limits.

the 320 has a much shorter rear end ratio, turns more rpm for performance, so the mileage difference isn't all that great.

#13 ·
The M119 (E420) is a great engine! I had one in my W124, I put 130k miles on it, still going strong at 200k miles when I sold it. Zero mechanical issues. I averaged around 23 mpg with a heavy foot, I could knock down 30 mpg on highway road trips if I drove smoothly. This engine sounds great too and is silky smooth. I would take this engine any day over the M112 in my W210 wagon.

#17 ·
The M112 is much easier to maintain, yes, it needs idler pulley replacement once or twice in lifetime, and maybe a water pump, but otherwise the M119 needs new spark plugs every 30k miles vs the M112 which needs them changed every 100000 miles, the drawback is the 12 total in the M112 vs 8 in the M119. Otherwise both are pretty solid. Yes, low 20s sound right for an E320 in city and high 20s for the highway, overall, the V6 will be easier to maintain and keep running vs the bigger/older M119. Its your call, higher MPG/lower maintenance or the V8 power and some more DIYs. For me, the V8 is the way to go as I would be buying myself a higher end E class for cheap because of the depreciation for which someone paid $55k when it was new. Believe me, when I tell people with Camrys and Civics that I drive a V8 Mercedes, their facial expressions are worth the extra cost and a bit more maintenance of the V8. Buy the one with less owners and high maintenance records.

#18 ·
If it's easier diy I don't mind, I've worked on all kinds of cars. As with anything newer, it's always the engine electrical that is scary. I'm very tempted by the v8 since it sounds like a solid reliable power plant. Does a 97 have the problem with the biodegradable wiring harness?

#19 ·
no problem with the wiring harness. And sparkplug changes are the easiest of any car I have ever worked on. A classic hemi design with the plug at the top center of the head.

I have two M119's, the E420 and SL500. I can do a plug change on either of them in about 20 minutes. easy peasy.

I will say, check ALL the vacuum hoses. Unless the PO replaced them, they are pushing 20 years old and are likely brittle and leaking. symptoms are erratic idle, occasional check engine codes for cylinder misfire or lean condition.

A very easy engine to work on even in the W210 where it is somewhat "shoe'd in" compared to the SL.

#22 ·
I have the 97 420 . 192K and STILL runs smooth , strong and when those newer Benz and Audis wanna play they STILL get left in the rearview : ) Seriously though it is our favorite road trip car and is as good as when new. Just wish the Dash had held up. NOTE: This year is the first that we are seeing a few drops on the driveway.. too hard to find where it is coming from though.

BONUS!! I can do 95% of the work myself on this car to include changing the plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.