Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Need AutoTrans oil cooler line.

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  yeldogt 
#1 ·
Hi All, have not posted in a while/years, but i still have the old 1999 e320 4matic sedan running(until yesterday) and live in Bergen County, NJ.

I need help on purchasing an Auto Trans Oil Cooler Line (Top) MB part# 2102700996. this is the steel line that goes from the top of the radiator (right side) down along the bottom of the radiator and connects into a flexible trans oil line. I've been searching online and can only find it at www.eeuroparts.com and Mercedes-Benz Parts and Accessories Online from Mercedes-Benz of South Atlanta does anyone have any experience with purchasing parts from these vendors. can anyone recommend other parts dealers? the original line has rusted out and is leaking badly.

Thanks

#3 ·
thanks for the info, i tried autohausaz, pelican parts and just tried your link and nobody seems to carry this autotrans cooler line.
Am going to call a local MB dealer in Nanuet, NY on Monday.

I don't understand why nobody wants to carry parts for a 17 yr old benz:wink, :crying

#7 ·
Well, I finally got that transmission line replaced. thanks to Atul for his post(s) on replacing this transmission cooler line! I too could not remove the rusted bolt that supports the metal line at the bottom of the radiator. I did not want to damage the radiator/plastic bracket by trying to hack saw off this bolt, so i left it there and just twisted off the rusted hanger. this bolt goes into the bottom plastic bracket of the radiator support and was frozen with rust.

My solution was to support the metal line with a hanger I made out of different diameter heater hose segments and zip ties. It ain't pretty, but it does the job! see my picture.

Thanks to this board for their help. and to those who took the time to document their repairs!

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
When I took the front belly shield off a couple of months ago, just to have a look 'round, it was easy to spot my next part to order:

(Click on any image for larger)

The hose fittings' sizes are 17mm & 19mm. The correct tool is a flare nut wrench; I got away with using open ends for these.

This picture is just to show the E300 turbo intercooler in relation to the radiator. From the placement of the intercooler hose on the right side of the pic, you can see how easily it can be damaged if you run the valance over a curb.

These flexible cooler hoses (0199978182, $54, previously 0019971852, 0209973582) seem to fit a lot of different MB models. I lost perhaps one cup of fluid changing both (cold engine & trans).

#9 ·
Nice thread, so nice that I don't even remember posting in this!

Anyway, my E300 is weeping from both trans cooling lines. Same flexible hoses as Al posted above.

Wanted to post that the 0019971852 is functionally identical to Rein automotive TRC0153. $50 for OEM vs $15-$19 for rein brand.... seems a no brainer.

TRC0153 is used in lots of cars, BMW, Audi, VW, even the odd Porsche or two, so your local parts store like autozone or orielly will carry them. Home depot will carry them too, that was a surprise.

#10 ·
Reading this thread from years back reminded me that I am constantly amazed from people trying to find parts when none of them have even tried to call a dealer.

Daimler really makes an effort to have parts for old cars – keys for R129‘s exempted. I have ordered the most obscure things over the years – things you know have sat on an inventory shelf for years.

when I got my E430 one or two of the clips from the air filter box was broken and I ordered a new box that came from the New Jersey warehouse. For a car that at the time was 18 years old.

if you’re not careful putting in that air filter element and make sure it is actually flush with the box you put too much pressure on those plastic clips.

they may have to order them from Germany but I am a stickler for replacing factory parts with OEM or factory.

even ordered a screw for the glove box lining in my E430 a few weeks ago. It had to come from Germany and it was two dollars but it was the factory screw.

none of this going to the hardware store stuff for me when it comes to my cars.

you would think that if you had trouble finding a part trying to source it from the factory authorized dealer would be the first place you go

#11 ·
people trying to find parts when none of them have even tried to call a dealer.
I mean, just about everyone has first hand experience, or knows someone that got shafted by the dealer. It doesn't even have to be a foreign dealer too....had a 2018 Ford Flex at my office recently. Dude tried to fix it properly by sending it to dealer. Some sort of issue with the wiring harness. He was prepared for a 3-5k bill. He was not prepared for 14k initial estimate, with increasing cost as the tear down progressed.

This is a car that just passed factory warranty. 23k miles on the clock. I fixed it for $1400.

W220 S600 came by recently too, cluster died. They wanted 4k. I did it for $700.

Is it any wonder that people think dealerships are crooks?

Although to be fair, MB pricing is actually fairly reasonable, all things considered. On one off parts, yeah they're going to be ridiculous. But on common wear items like the mentioned transmission cooling line....even if I had gotten it from MB, it would've cost me $50ish, so $100 for two lines. A very far cry from Chrysler, they asked for $148 for a similar trans cooler line for a Ram 2500 that was high centered on a mall rock. That's for a single line.

I placed an order for the turbo charge air hose for my E300 an hour ago, $79 my cost, $110 list.
Same hose for the mentioned Ram 2500: $380 list, my cost around $280.

Both are same, aluminum hose roughly around the same length, just shaped differently to clear various stuff. Cost to produce both is probably in the order of pennies. But the domestic stuff is more expensive than foreign stuff. And the foreign stuff is usually put on a plane and arrives in 2 days, incurring additional costs.

I know, I can't explain it either.

#13 ·
It's gotten to the point that I have to be my own parts guy -- as in I'm the guy who researches the hell out of the stuff before ordering it. We used to have some great parts at my local dealer, but like you said, they reconstructed and then there's a lot of new faces, and while they know exactly what to order when a W205 or W222 is crashed and you need whole laundry of parts.....go back 1 generation and they won't know that if you order a front SAM for a W204 or X204 2010 or older, you need to order additional harness with it.

Same with TRP -- say you want a key and they just robotically tell you to order it through service. Then I have to sit there and school them in their own damn policy, then they finally order it. FYI, blade key and programming keys do not need to be ordered to service. You can just order at parts. Vehicle not required.

BMW dealer by comparison is super easy. Provide registration, and they will order whatever you want. Blank electronic keys? Immobilizer? ECU? Yessir, this is how much it costs, please pay. It'll be here tomorrow, thank you.

#14 ·
It's always wise to use an online dealer site first to get the OE part number and price ... often, it not worth going from there. I have had good luck with Autohaus and other parts houses that got a start bringing in German parts. There is often a savings with the OEM ... those hoses are a common failure point. I had to replace the steel line as the OP as well and it's often hard to get them apart.

I had to order new hydraulic lines for my wagon suspension. I may have been able to find someone to remake them .... but, my local guy got them bent correctly and matched up. Still cost me 1k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.