Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Members W210's aging out?

2K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  MRBSMITH 
#1 ·
Notice less posting ... guess to be expected .. cars are getting old. Don't see many of the old posters from even a couple years ago

My best move most likely would have been to sell off my wagon last year for whatever I could have received from the car and the insurance proceeds. The fix was nothing but trouble (transmission/ AC) ... and now it needs a new front differential ($2200) and another drive shaft. While my out of pocket for the transmission and other related work was only $700.00 ... it would have been better I think to put all the proceeds into a newer vehicle. Car is still in immaculate shape w/140k ... hope I can use it for two years and maybe 30k more.

Rant over

#2 ·
Yes, it's been quiet. I'm sure some have moved on to newer vehicles and some, like Check Codes, have just decided not to post anymore. It's still a great forum - better than any other I know. My car, at 210K is going strong, so I'll be around until it gives up the ghost...

Fred

#3 · (Edited)
Who? ME ? AGING????
naahhh...
It is quiet everywhere lately.
September is school restart and that probably what keeps W210 owners busy :D
Putting money in cars that don't hold value makes sense if you plan to drive it for long time.
I just took a break from my new project - 1998 SL500.
Want to make it running before winter will make me to put the hardtop back.

#5 · (Edited)
It is quiet everywhere lately.

Putting money in cars that don't hold value makes sense if you plan to drive it for long time.
It's not just here. I have 4 different Benzes and all of the forums are quiet. It's a good thing - means owners are not having problems :)

We have had our 98 E320 since early 2001. No real problems except A/C evap has gone (and not worth replacing in our climate). At 230k km no mechanical problems and still driven daily.

#4 ·
The forum has been a huge help .... I bought mine from the third owner while still under CPO. The forum gave me the heads up to all the normal failures so I could point them out to the dealer before 100k -- MB replaced a huge number of parts.

Check Codes has not posted since the beginning the year. I will still be around for a while.

I'm getting rid of my 01 W203 this month. I have two weekend places (summer/winter) .... cars at each spot are getting too old for the occasional trip back to the city at night. I'm building a new place in PA -- need the wagon until it's finished next year for carting stuff around.

#6 ·
There are still a lot of forum members who are dealing with password issues as they try to log in and are unable to get back in. I'm still fielding requests for assistance, as are the other admins. I ran a comparison on various months' post counts over the past 3 years and the current decline is mostly attributable to the password problems.

#11 ·
There are still a lot of forum members who are dealing with password issues as they try to log in and are unable to get back in. .
^^^This. For me, it was a few months of being unable to log in, with sporadic attempts every week or so, trying to change passwords without success. It was quite annoying.

#16 ·
Did you scrap it due to age, or accident?
I have the same quiet response with new to me SL500 in R129 forum.
But good thing SL has the same transmission similar climatronic and I think the same paddle side mirrors our W210 did have.
Seats are trashed, but I removed good covers from W210 and looks like bottoms might be direct fit, while backrest might need some modification.

#15 ·
I always enjoyed this forum -- it attracted those wanting to maintain the vehicles ... not just keep them on the road. My cars are kept as new -- everything works ... I'm not looking to save $20 on a set of rotors. I'm also a long time Jaguar owner -- Historically most who bought new Jaguars were less mechanically inclined vs MB owners. This is changing, everybody is become less .. C class owners have always been less interested in the working of the cars .. In my experience.

#17 ·
i'm guessing the perceived decline in activity here is due to those who oppose
those kneeling during the national anthem, nothing more. whoops, wrong forum.

seriously, it may be a combination of what you've noted above, the fact that
the 210 enjoys a huge user base and therefore a strong number of forums
besides Benzworld which have developed great DIY articles and threads...
and our own STICKYs. How's that for spin? :)

Other favorite sites of mine which I like to swing by for troubleshooting tips
and DIY include:

E-Class (W210) - MBWorld.org Forums
Tech Help - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/
https://mercedessource.com/
W210 Technical Articles - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum
https://www.mbca.org/forum#!/technical-forums
Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

big thanks to those who continue to help each other out with ideas, 'what if you..'
suggestions, and gentle reminders to check the STICKYs. I continue look for threads
to add to them when I can, especially i read of frequently asked questions not
covered in the STICKY.

ohlord is doing fine the last i checked. he was busy racing his MGB

#18 ·
Other favorite sites of mine which I like to swing by for troubleshooting tips
and DIY include:

E-Class (W210) - MBWorld.org Forums
Tech Help - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/
https://mercedessource.com/
W210 Technical Articles - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum
https://www.mbca.org/forum#!/technical-forums
Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

big thanks to those who continue to help each other out with ideas, 'what if you..'
suggestions, and gentle reminders to check the STICKYs. I continue look for threads
to add to them when I can, especially i read of frequently asked questions not
covered in the STICKY.

ohlord is doing fine the last i checked. he was busy racing his MGB
I still check in here & Peachparts regularly, and sometimes MBWorld for GLK, but MBCA??? I am a member, but that has to be one of the most useless forums.

#21 ·
For me, there are so many Major threads, a quick search keeps me from posting (or needing to post) most often. No need to repost if something has been covered.

I used to own an BMW e39. its similar vintage to the w210, but those guys are rabid. The car is considered by many to be the last BMW that had performance but that the common man could work on without special tools and a computer. I am not sure that the w210 has that kind of following. people arent killing themselves to save a 210, when the car wears out, people move on.

The body on mine is rusting pretty bad, it has 260k+ miles on it, but i have no interest in getting rid of it. Just the thought of a car payment is enough to keep me fixing it. I just spent 5 days on a glow plug replacement. Ill keep mine till the wheels fall off.

Liam

Reactions: Deplore and MAVA
#22 · (Edited)
Sorry for your issues :frown

What kind of driver are you?

I drive like a old lady... Rarely go over 3000 rpm....Change my fluids on time...Tranny fluid every 30k....

I'm the second owner of mine, and I bought mine at a auction at 100k(without a drive-crazy) miles. I have put on 93k miles, but 2/3 are highway miles...

I have needed to put front C/V's at like 180k because my girlfriend drove it for a year to work in bumper to bumper traffic, and it never quit or failed on her. I just had a major transmission circular connector leakage(failure) at 193k-no biggie.. The M112 does piss oil out of the rear seal, but I will fix it when I rebuild the tranny my self. I have not even had a conductor plate failure...

I haul stuff in mine, and load it up. I load it with transmissions from time to time.. On occasions I have hauled a yard of rock a few times(1000lb to 1500lb).

It has been my gas-up-n-go-car... I do not need to do anything(really) to it...

All the best,

Martin

Ahhh... no need to post when everything is working :angel

#23 ·
It's not me ...the car got hit in the front -- it was very minor ...except .. and I did not know this as my sister had the car. The car that hit her had a hitch -- it hit the bottom of the radiator and bent closed the trans cooling hose and split the condenser. The transmission failed about 100 miles later while she was in another state -- I never knew about the AC problem as the car would not drive. It was months later when I understood what had happened. I was traveling so it took me forever to get home and do something about the car. The original shop close to where it failed did not see the real cause of the trans failure .. it was not until I had the car towed back to my state and a local shop -- that we understood what had happened.

It took 6 months to finally get it all figured out ... the car was basically worthless with a failed transmission. I was able to get the person's insurance who hit the car to pay for most of it. But the rebuilt trans kept leaking .. anyway .. then the front differential cracked. I'm not sure if it was because they were rough with taking the trans in and out multi times or what ... but it failed. So it gets a new differential .. and then transfer case is making a noise. Anyway -- The trans/ radiator/ condenser cost me $700.00 with the insurance paying the difference. I also received about 3k for the bumpers that are cracked. I'm out about $2500 for the front differential and right driveshaft. we will see.

The car is in great shape: I want to get a new windshield for it as it's getting pitted -- and I have to address the cloudy head lights. The front bumper is cheap to replace and the back is hardly noticeable (not going to do it) -- car now has 140k. I just don't trust it .. I'm going to drive it around for a while before I put any more money into it. I like having a wagon around.

#24 ·
Still going, password hell?, I just love this car

Hey Forum;
I would like to say I have an excuse eor not being on more but...guilty... life gets in the way.
This car has been over the top for me, I just refinished the steering wheel and put in a head linner.
What does that tell you? I want it to last 2 more years until tesla time, or the MB equal.

I do all maintenance, repairs, and service which have been very little fixes considering it is going for its third grill badge, yes folks going on 600,000 and looks and drives like new!!!

The bad part is as I look for parts, ( mirrors, trim ) in the LA breaker yards, I find w210 garage queens. That tells me it might be time to start looking....

In any event I have survived the password crap and am back with you.

Keep em going and d best 2 u

Reactions: MAVA and hamada128
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.