Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

dumb/ignorant brake question ...

463 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Al_Savage 
#1 ·
i have purchased the Brembo rotors and Akebono brake pads and will be doing a front brake service this weekend. while reviewing the DIY pdf, i noticed that the creator loosens a brake bleed 'thingy' ... i assume to assist with pushing the calipers in to get it off, mount the brakepads and replace it on the rotor.

i have 'done the brakes' on 4 other vehicles within the past couple of years and use a large c-clamp to press the calipers in. is the brake bleed loosening really necessary ??

thanks. roger

#2 ·
It's just personal preference. Some people loosen the bleeder and let the extra fluid squirt out when compressing the piston, other just let it flow back to the master cylinder. Personally I'm in the let it flow back to the MC, less messy... but there is no right or wrong answer here.

Do it the way you always have and you'll be fine.

#3 ·
P.S. There are no dumb or ignorant questions regarding most things, especially breaks... better to ask than be sorry, always....

Reactions: hamada128
#6 ·
Opening the bleeder before using the C clamp, gets rid of the fluid that has been setting in the caliper being subjected to the heating of the brakes. Better in my opinion to get rid of it. Of course, if you are going to change the fluid at the time of the brake job, then it makes no difference.

#8 · (Edited)
I do as you do with a brake piston compressor. Why? far less likely to get air in the system, quick easy and no mess no fuss. I do take some fluid out of the reservoir if it is near full. yes, you do push some fluid back up the system, but since I do a complete flush on my systems every year or two, not worried about getting anything back up the line, and it will get flushed out pretty soon anyway.

But either way works, whatever you are comfortable with.

Then I follow through with a complete pressure bleed. Use 2bar (28psi) on MB.

#9 ·
Since I replace brake pads every 5-7 years, I like to do the fluid change at the same time, so usually I vacuum the reservoir, refill with new brake fluid, than open the bleeders while pushing the pistons. Never had air in line problem.
Having different bend pry bars I can push the pistons all the way in before pulling the pads out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.