Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What have you done for your W210 today/lately?

194K views 2K replies 254 participants last post by  wlb50 
#1 ·
This thread was created to elicit quick report of TLC or modification not
necessarily worthy of a thread, but simply an opportunity for us to highlight
something, e.g. wash, new shoes, wiper blade, seat conditioner, etc. So, let's
brag or share, folks. :)

I cleaned out my windshield washer tank because the additives in the wash
corroded my sensor and it was reporting 'low fluid' though the tank was full.
A little tooth brushing and flossing did the trick. Natch I've switched to different
fluid. (stay away from RainX orange)

#4 ·
I replaced that leaky water pump gasket after two years. He's got water instead of coolant but tomorrow I flush that out and use proper coolant. I also put the relay back in the rear window wiper so that works again and cleaned all the light bulbs, that hasn't cured the lamp failure warning or the lack of reverse lights.

#8 ·
New cabin filters, used Bosch instead of OEM, they are not nearly as good, having about a third less filtering fins...

Removed all 4 wheels, scrubbed off brake dust and grime, waxed them so they are easier to keep clean . Cleaned all for wheel wells with tires off, calipers, suspension parts accessible when wheels off, used simple green and a scrub brush, took about 35 minutes each, and they look very clean and nice, can see the silver paint.

Clayed car, used Mequiars polish then syn. wax with Griots random orbital polisher. Car looks fantastic ....

Attachments

#9 ·
Took a few days to fix my steering wheel using the leatherique steering wheel kit.
Had a few spots where I was wearing into the leather and lots of cracks. decided to go for a slightly lighter grey for a change in contrast and fixed most of the cracks and all of the very worn patches with crack filler. left some of the cracks for a little more character :wink
Very happy with the final result.

Attachments

#10 ·
Bought a 1996 Parts car with W210 E55 Rims and new tires, with facelift tail lights, brand new MB rotors, and picked a bunch of small stuff for $1000

A day later sold it for $1200 with the 16 inch rims, tail lights, and even my rotors from my 1996 W210...winning....Craigslist Score

Reactions: Yacht Master
#11 ·
Haven't done it yet, but next month I plan to:

-Change the oil + send sample to Blackstone (oil has around 12,000 miles on it).
-Replace motor mounts
-Replace transmission mount.
-Possibly replace transmission adapter plug (do I need to replace any fluid if this is done)?
-Replace coolant and try a bottle of Lubegard Kool-It.
-Replace thermostat (couldn't hurt).
-Have a bracket on the exhaust welded/replaced (rusted loose and now makes the most annoying chirping sound when I'm stopped in-gear).

#12 ·
I have done a couple of things over the past few months:

- Replaced brake switch because the car was stuck in park.
- Bought and installed a new truck seal; the old one was dried up, cracked, pressed flat, and generally useless.
- Installed a new head unit with Bluetooth hands free calling.
- Leatherique'd my seats. Didn't make the seats look any better, but the leather is noticeably softer.
- Replaced lower windshield trim 'cause that old stuff looked terrible.
- Religiously washed it, including under the hood.

Things getting done soon:

- Transmission fluid change

Things I want to do:

- Install a subwoofer because this car has almost no bass.
- Find some wax or polish to make the oxidation on my trunk lid less ugly.
- Figure out why there is a random whistling sound that occurs mostly at highway speeds, but also at a standstill sometimes.

#15 ·
I had/have a wobble at speeds above 65mph so I took it to the Rimdoctor last week to get the bent wheel on the rear straightened and rebalanced for $110. I paid $10 each for the other 3 wheels to see if they had problems and it turns out the 2 on the front are bent as well. The guy told me the right front was worse than the visibly bent wheel on the rear that I had straightened. I didn't have time right then to get the other two fixed so I later swapped the front/rears. The wobblies are reduced by about 50% and the car is much more driveable up to about 80mph.

I'm scouring craigslist for a cheap set and I'm torn between picking up more wheels or paying the additional $200 to get the other wheels done.

#17 ·
Blower motor and regulator!

Driving to lunch last week, climate control blower just quits. Investigating at home that evening I find that there is no voltage to the fan and no codes. Ordered/replaced the regulator only to find that even though there is now power to the fan, the fan she is kaput! Ordered/replaced the fan, now back to blissful cooling while it is still 105+ here in Phoenix.

** note to others having a similar issue, check the downstream components as practical to avoid having to drive your spouse's car for a couple of days. :p

#18 ·
Completed:
  • Replaced rear driver's side window regulator
  • Replaced headlamps with new Depo housings
  • Removed sap droplets (rubbing alcohol for the win!)
  • Washed outside with Zaino
  • Treated tires
  • Vacuumed interior
  • Cleaned and treated seats with Zaino leather treatments
  • Installed iOttie Easy One Touch 2 iPhone mount

Things to do:
  • Tint the windows
  • Replace stock head unit with new Pioneer unit for Blue Tooth and iPhone integration
  • Resolve ongoing "lamp out" issue with right rear brake
  • Replace right catalytic converter
  • Resolve ongoing performance issues due to clogged right cat
  • Replace floor mats. Liner has deteriorated and now the black crap is getting everywhere. Anyone have suggestions?
  • Replace dash bulbs and adjust connector to get displays working

I've made good progress the past couple of weeks and still have a fair number of other things to do but she is looking good these days. My wife is getting jealous of all the attention she is getting.

Attachments

#639 ·
Completed:
  • Replaced rear driver's side window regulator
  • Replaced headlamps with new Depo housings
  • Removed sap droplets (rubbing alcohol for the win!)
  • Washed outside with Zaino
  • Treated tires
  • Vacuumed interior
  • Cleaned and treated seats with Zaino leather treatments
  • Installed iOttie Easy One Touch 2 iPhone mount
Things to do:
  • Tint the windows
  • Replace stock head unit with new Pioneer unit for Blue Tooth and iPhone integration
  • Resolve ongoing "lamp out" issue with right rear brake
  • Replace right catalytic converter
  • Resolve ongoing performance issues due to clogged right cat
  • Replace floor mats. Liner has deteriorated and now the black crap is getting everywhere. Anyone have suggestions?
  • Replace dash bulbs and adjust connector to get displays working
I've made good progress the past couple of weeks and still have a fair number of other things to do but she is looking good these days. My wife is getting jealous of all the attention she is getting.
Your list is really similar to mine! Same color too!

#20 ·
  • picked up an Ultragauge and running it through the hoops this week. very nice and seems much more informative than a Scangauge
you will love it Raymond. I have had one since they first came out - special deal for the first batch $30 each :laugh

The new ones are even better and I think way better than scangauge for display etc. I use mine mostly in my landrover as it has really poor gauges at best.

looking forward to your report back.

#21 ·
First of all, I yanked the anemic (dying?) single horn and installed a pair of horns from a Volvo, since my last wagon was an XC and I really liked the sound of those.

Also, I addressed two small but major rust issues on the tailgate. I used a Dremel tool to grind away the rust just between the glass and the logo (YOU know the spot) along with some rust that had popped up between the license plate and the tailgate latch. Seemed to be all surface rust since I was able to grind it all away to bare metal and there were no holes. I masked off both areas and sprayed them with standard Rustoleum (Stops Rust!) paint in White, which matched my Refrigerator White paint almost perfectly. The edges are quite apparent if you know where to look but from a few feet away, it's far better than the rust stains.

Lastly, I had purchased a small bottle of Rustoleum (Stops Rust!) scratch filler in white with a special marker point (like a fine line pen) and hit somewhere between 75 to 100 rusty rock chips on the nose, mirrors, door jambs, etc. If it holds up, I can't complain since it completely changed my previously freckled car's appearance.

I still need to address the window regulator, though.

#23 ·
I had loaned my E320 to my sister for a month. When I got it back, I was too
rushed to examine it closely. When I was washing it over the weekend, I saw
that the 211 AMG front rim was curbed in several places. grr. Brought it in
for cosmetic treatment. (While I was there I was able to sit inside a Maserati
GrandTurismo and make vroom noises - silver with red interior.)

#25 ·
Changed the front rotors and pads couple of weeks ago, used Zimmerman rotors with OE Benz pads, now the brake dust is driving me nuts.
Waxed it last weekend for the winter

Yesterday I changed the steering fluid using turkey baster method, boy that old fluid was dirty.

In my to do list; Instrument light bulbs
Outside temperature sensor got hit by a rock I think, the tip is broken, still reads but I don't think it's accurate
Passenger side fog light also must have been hit by a rock, needs a new lens.

#26 ·
Threw on a new center support and overkill polyurethane trans mount today on the daily E300 diesel.

Proceeded to full throttle everywhere to see if my vibration was still around. None to report = success.

#27 ·
Replaced the infamous window regulator on the E320 today. Was a good day. It took me longer to find the proper sized bolts, washers and nuts than it did to drill out the rivets and replace the regulator.