Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What have you done for your W210 today/lately?

194K views 2K replies 254 participants last post by  raymond- 
#1 ·
This thread was created to elicit quick report of TLC or modification not
necessarily worthy of a thread, but simply an opportunity for us to highlight
something, e.g. wash, new shoes, wiper blade, seat conditioner, etc. So, let's
brag or share, folks. :)

I cleaned out my windshield washer tank because the additives in the wash
corroded my sensor and it was reporting 'low fluid' though the tank was full.
A little tooth brushing and flossing did the trick. Natch I've switched to different
fluid. (stay away from RainX orange)

#59 · (Edited)
The last week has been a bit more busy than usual. I had a run in with a deer that produced large dents in the pass. frt. 1/4 panel and rear door. I was able to source replacements from a a local guy parting out a black E320 so paint and finish match.

-Replacing the door was much easier if done from the door side of the hinges, which turn out to be laterally adustable as well. I did have to remove the door cards to unplug the window switch & motor, speaker and footlight. These door cards are much easier than W124 so thats a plus. I ended up splicing the vac line to the lock actuator.

-Replacing the 1/4 panel was pretty easy too. The only fiddly bit was getting at the two frontmost screws. Some say take the bumper off, but I was able to access them by unbolting the pass side fender bolt and loosening up the frt. pass one under the aux fan. This gave me plenty of room to access the 1/4 panel screws and I did not have to disconnect anything except the pass. headlight.

I did find a surprisingly large amount of leaves, dirt, compost in the lower rear area of this panel aft of the wheel. This is where we all seem to find that rust on the panel and front of the rocker where the two meet. I would suggest a periodic cleaning of this area by removing the small trim piece and unscrewing the bottom most two screws and gently pulling that part of the panel out to let the debris drop out. Perhaps a good vacuuming and nylon brushing to get everything out is a good idea.

I dont know if it was linked too or coincidental to the deer run-in, but my Alt pulley failed and killed the Alt-order of demise's may be backwards. This resulted in me getting a tow home because the alt was banging/knocking a riot. I ended up replacing parts in a piecemeal fashion(didnt want to drop the bigger bucks on the Alt itself) including the Alt pulley, tension lever and tension shock. Neither the new pulley nor lever + shock fixed the knock, so I got a new Alt put it in and now back in business. I guess in the final analysis I should have gone straight to the Alt, but the car is better for the new parts.

-Replaced the Alt, Tension Lever(with washer and seal-don't forget these). Tension lever is an easy out-in and the Alt is easy too once the turbo downpipe is removed. Getting the downpipe lined up and on its three screw down points is an ordeal in frustration and head knocking rivaling the Alt gone toasty. I wound up unbolting the lower end of the bracket from the block to get things lined up and on, then re-bolt the bracket. As with most MB things the bracket bolts also the Alt bracket to the block so not a part to leave off.

Been a busy week of recovering from that damned deer's butt and my daughter now has her 28 yr old 300TD wagon back from Dad(i.e. I still needed to get to work so commandeered hers)

#61 ·
Our E320 Wagon's ABS warning came on and the brake lights were on constantly from startup. Time for service at Autowerkes Maine.

The brake light switch was the culprit. In addition to getting that changed, it needed new spark plugs & head gasket just on the basis of mileage. During the course of this service, it was discovered that it needed a new vacuum hose to the master cylinder. After that, resetting & updating the ABS software resolved the remaining error message. We got her back on Christmas Eve cleaner inside & out than we'd left it.

Before our first snow the other day, we put on the car cover for the first time.

Attachments

#62 ·
...it needed new spark plugs & head gasket just on the basis of mileage...
Your mechanic told you the head gasket needed to be replaced based on mileage? I've never heard of such a thing... Spark plugs are 5 years/100K miles but I would think the head gaskets on the M112 engine would last the life of the engine unless you've overheated it.

Fred

#64 · (Edited)
Replaced the engine oil and filter with Liqui Moly 5W40. This is the second oil change with Liqui Moly and the engine now is more smoother and quieter than the Mobile1 0W40 European formula.
I have been using the Liqui Moly oil in the W201/M102 and the W140/M104 and noticed smoother/quieter and better engine performance.
I also replaced the thermostat as a preventative maintenance.

[Note for myself: Oil was replaced on 11/04/15 @105k miles, Thermostat 11/28/15 @106k miles]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2332-Leichtlauf-Engine/dp/B00LIC29H6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451926778&sr=8-2&keywords=liqui+moly+5w40"]Amazon.com: Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 Engine Oil - 5 Liter: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51b8dZwc12L.@@AMEPARAM@@51b8dZwc12L[/ame]

#65 ·
Replaced the engine oil and filter with Liqui Moly 5W40. This is the second oil change with Liqui Moly and the engine now is more smoother and quieter than the Mobile1 0W40 European formula.
I have been using the Liqui Moly oil in the W201/M102 and the W140/M104 and noticed smoother/quieter and better engine performance.
I also replaced the thermostat as a preventative maintenance.

[Note for myself: Oil was replaced on 11/04/15 @105k miles, Thermostat 11/28/15 @106k miles]

Amazon.com: Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 Engine Oil - 5 Liter: [email]Automotive
Washed and waxed it! Btw, I got have the same oil in my car last time. My question to you is how long did that oil last you? I am at 9k miles and it still looks okay on the dipstick. I plan to get it changed in a week or two. But do these oils last 9 to 10k or am I overdue? Thanks

#67 ·
A New FOB

because the old one died after 16+ years of service. Was not the best experience, but the local dealer was able to get it quickly, 24hrs, so I am happy. It will probably outlast the car and I dont think my e300 will last another 16 years. I could be wrong.

#69 ·
Installed new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires 235/45ZR17/XL97(Y) on sale at Costco for $575 out the door.
These are Ultra high performance tires for my '01 E430 Sport. Tread rating is only 300 or 30K miles and many report getting
less miles, but the performance is absolutely stellar for summer temps only, not a problem here in Hawaii.

Do not confuse these with Pilot Sport AVS which are all season.

Only have 20 miles on them so can't really provide much real world info. Tire Rack has rave reviews across the board.

#71 ·
:crying

Look carefully behind the 211 and you'll see the 210 listing to the passenger side. Both tires were flat! I must have run over something just before I got home. A few months back, I left a perfectly good Michelin spare in a wagon in the pick and pull because...who needs TWO spare tires? :mad:

#73 ·
Dig, other than your headlight washers, we have identical wagons. Covered with snow, yours looks like mine did last winter.

As for flats, I've had the right front go flat on me twice in as many months. The prognosis was corrosion inside the wheel rim that prevented an airtight seal and caused a slow leak. A good wire-brushing was all that was needed to fix the problem, at least so far.

Could this be the cause of your flats?

#78 ·
I wonder where the yellow went...

Cleaned my headlight lenses and got the yellow out. I know they don't look new but they're a whole lot better and the yellow's gone for now. All I did was give 'em a quick going over with rubbing compound and a cloth in a circular motion then a quick polish with polishing compound. Let it dry then wipe it off. Total time, less than 10 minutes and no need to mask off the paint. And, they'll stay looking nice for 4 to 6 months. :smile

Fred

Attachments

#80 ·
You should coat them with something uv resistant. Then it will last a long time. You can even brush on polyurethane spare varnish if you don't want to mask. You actually don't even have to polish. Just sand out the yellow then coat.
Yeah, sanding and coating is definitely the way to go but it's a project. What I did took less than ten minutes and lasts for several months - the lazy man's way... :wink

Also, I'm skeptical that spar urethane is a good coating - that it is UV resistant and won't itself yellow or allow the lens to yellow. I clear coated a set of alloy wheels with urethane in a spray can and it was so yellow that I had to redo the wheels. Admittedly a much thicker coating than in the video but still...

Fred

#81 ·
Spar urethane is UV resistant. It is formulated that way because it is designed to be used on boats. There are lacquers with UV inhibitors in them too. You just have to make sure What you are using is designed to be exposed to sunlight.
For me, it was much easier, since I didn't have to polish them out to clear. Coating them makes the clear--like when frosted glass or oxidized paint is wet.

#87 ·
Well, after new tires + alignment in the summer, she is showing poor front tire wear on the outsides. So today she is in for rear suspension and front suspension work. I asked them to replace all rear bushings, but my indie thinks it's shocks. Waiting to hear final decision from them. Regarding front, they are still trying to simulate my complaint. After this is all done, she will drive like a dream again.

#90 ·
Bought an E300 Diesel from a Mercedes tech yesterday. She needs some cosmetic attention but purrs like a kitten. The pic attached is a before and after. I restored the headlight lenses. I need to find the front and back bumper trim, fix the headliner, and make some minor interior cosmetic touches, and she needs a bath of course, but that's my latest, and first improvement to my girl, Sparkles. (My daughter named her that.)

Attachments

#91 ·
New Stereo

HI
I bought a 1997 E230 a few month ago. The first in the "to do list" was an Stereo upgrade but keeping the old fashion vintage look.
So i modified the door behind the stereo to add discreetly my new Pioneer DVH-880AVBT. I won Bluetooth, Reverse camera option,DVD and hand free cell phone.
I keep the old Stereo but not working yet.
I need to install the camera, mic and reverse sensor...

Greetings from Chile