Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What have you done for your W210 today/lately?

194K views 2K replies 254 participants last post by  wlb50 
#1 ·
This thread was created to elicit quick report of TLC or modification not
necessarily worthy of a thread, but simply an opportunity for us to highlight
something, e.g. wash, new shoes, wiper blade, seat conditioner, etc. So, let's
brag or share, folks. :)

I cleaned out my windshield washer tank because the additives in the wash
corroded my sensor and it was reporting 'low fluid' though the tank was full.
A little tooth brushing and flossing did the trick. Natch I've switched to different
fluid. (stay away from RainX orange)

#568 ·
I laughed at myself when I read your post, Woobie. I have a metal, snail design oil filter wrench
from my old 1983 Nissan pick up truck. It is too large for the E320 oil filter so what I do is wrap
an old leather belt around the filter, then a shop rag...before slipping the snail wrench over it.
It tightens against the rag and belt just fine - so well that I've been doing it this way for a decade.
Nice to have 3D skills/printer, I'll bet.

#569 ·
Hey Raymond! Having the printer and the skills to use it has been very beneficial indeed. In this particular case, the steel tool isn't really that expensive, but being able to make something quickly to get the job done is great, and there is a certain amount of satisfaction derived from being able to solve things like this on your own. I had tried using a belt on the filter housing at first, but this is only the third oil change I've done on the car since owning it, and the first I had done myself. I think the technician that re-installed the housing last time at the lube shop had drastically over-tightened it. The strap wrench I had tried first is kinda narrow, and I was putting so much torque on it that the plastic housing was flexing enough that I was worried I would crack it. Anyway, the tool I printed fits the 14-sided 74.5mm top of the housing very nicely, and worked really well. I'll leave a link to the file that I printed here in case anyone else with a printer wants to give this a go: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1850886
FYI... there are a lot of other Mercedes related goodies on that site as well.

#571 ·
I waxed the license plates and obsessively aligned the latest tab atop the previous tab

then, I opened up an aviation band radio to clean the pots which had been producing
static while dialing the volume or squelch. This is quite normal for old equipment
in which the contacts have oxidized. The stuff that radio geeks love to use is Hosa
D5S-6 CAIG DeoxIT. a few squirts and twirls of each pot and the static vanished.

{light bulb} I moved over to the tailights then I proceeded to remove each bulb. I
swabbed every single contact point in each socket, each bulb, as well as the taillight
circuit plate with DeoxIT. we'll see if any rear end induced 'bulb malfunction' alert
reappears.

#573 ·
Replaced the right valve cover on my 99' E320 with a used one from Pick & Pull because the EGR cap was leaking. Since I was in there...........replaced all the EGR hoses and spark plugs.

The spark plugs appears to be original with 92,000 miles. Gas mileage has gone up from 17 to 20 mpg on Northern California's special winter blend :)

#574 ·
My blower motor wasnt working for a while. Checked fuse 4 and 7 and they seemed fine. Proceeded to loosen the two screws under the glove box to gain access to the blower motor housing and then removed the cover hosuing the blower motor. BUt before I took it all off, i decided to sping the motor by hand and then try the switch again. And guess what, it works. So before you guys go about taking out the motor, just spin it by hand and try it by the switch again. Might just be that it needed a bit of help.

#575 ·
Finally renewed the hi-pitch horn on my 2000 E320 - the horn in front of radiator. Has not worked since I acquired the vehicle a year ago. Replaced it with an original MB horn to maintain the purity - anal? probably. Sounds great, like a real MB, bit like my W124 sounded. Unfortunately have not yet encountered drivers barging into my lane or doing something stupid so that I can give them a blast. I just want to lean on it to let idiots know they are doing wrong and that I am not happy! I guess they are all wisely staying home.

#576 ·
Came out this morning and saw a long trail of fluid coming from my E430. After a moment's scare, saw that it was blue and probably the Windshield Washer container.

Got 2 of those rubber grommets at the dealer thinking there were 2 pumps - got confused with the SL - and there was only 1. Anyone need one?

Funny how those things are fine one day and then let lose the next - to the point most of the gallon of coolant was gone.

#578 ·
I had a pair of Hella electric horns NIB which I had planned to put on the
motorcycle. It was raining and I didn't want to jog so I spent the time
exercising in the garage. It changed the frequencies a little: OEM 400
and 480. Hella 300 and 500 so it may be a little more shrill.
Red Audio equipment Electronics Technology Boombox

#579 ·
Today I replaced the air seal ring around the air intake as it goes onto the TB. Also replaced all the small rubber vacuum pipes around the EGR valve, and that after removing it and cleaning it. Not as difficult to do as people might think. And I never even used a swivel ext :)

#581 ·
Oil & Filter Change
Using the Mity Vac I changed oil on my 2000 E320. Used Valvoline 0W40. Also changed oil filter. Used Mann fleece OEM filter. Was cheaper than the paper element filters I had been using. Took about an hour and made no mess. Am getting good at this. During the 16 months I have had the vehicle I have been changing both at 5,000km. This is probably overkill and wasting $$, so have decided in future to change at 10,000km. Vehicle has only done 90,000km and not using any oil.

#582 ·
This morning took our E320 over to a locally owned shop, Theo's Automotive in Peachtree City. The service advisor and Tech looked the car over end to end and performed the requested differential service. It is great to find guys who have in depth knowledge of these vehicles at a local shop. As of now the E320 is caught up on maintenance and I have found a shop I would recommend to any MBZ owner in south metro Atlanta. We consider ourselves fortunate to have located and purchased this well maintained vehicle. Even more so after having a good look underneath with the tech. It will soon turn 86,000 miles and is in excellent condition. Don't overlook the rear end lube flush and fill - we take care of engine and transmission service but often the differential flush and refill with new gear oil is forgotten. A good change interval for most is probably in the 50K-60K miles range.

Fahrvergnügen!

#583 ·
Well today I’m driving out and the check engine light goes on.

And I thought the designers are very clever because they have the low fuel light in front of your flashing to direct your attention to that little check engine light off to the right.

I carry a little OBD-2 reader with me and it said large evaporative leak.

I had forgotten to put the gas cap on

#586 ·
Detailed engine compartment and cleaned hood vent on 2000 E320. Sorry ....................forgot to take before picture. It was pretty disgusting. Everything was covered with dust and oily grime. New cowl vents should be arriving tomorrow.
Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Bumper

#588 ·
My 1999 E300 has been in the shop for about a month and a half and is finally back in action. The intake valves were not closing on number four cylinder so I pulled the cylinder head off thinking that there was a bad problem. It turned out to be the EGR was staying open too long and coating the intake with junk that after a long time was breaking off and getting stuck between the seat and intake valve. The tops of the pistons were covered with this junk. The valves, seats, and guides were fine. Everything was cleaned and the valves lapped. While it was apart, I replaced every hose that was removed, the oil cooler lines were replaced (one was no longer available, yet Aaxion had a hose and ferrules that fit perfectly), replaced both fuel filters, replaced the transmission filter and fluid, replaced the engine oil and filter, had the computer adjusted for correct EGR operation, evacuated and charged the AC, flushed the cooling system, replaced the fan belt, replaced the fan belt idler pulley with the idler shock/tensioner, replaced the water pump, replaced the thermostat, replaced the coolant overflow tank, replaced the air filter box, replaced the radiator hoses, and other parts. It took about a month and a half to do the job, which included waiting on parts. It took about 10 hours of labor to get the head off and then another 30 to put everything together, including the valve work. There was another couple of hours of adjusting to get all the fluids to the proper level. I probably spent some $2,800.00 in parts. My plan is to drive it past 1,000,000 miles. Currently it has just under 625,000 miles. I bought it new. It has been a good car and has never left me stranded.

#589 ·
dfleck63, don't you wonder how many engines have been prematurely scrapped because of EGR related problems? Since this "gift" was imposed on us 40 years ago, I have lost count of the cars I have either worked on or driven with severe driveability problems caused by a sticking/malfunctioning EGR, including one that almost left my wife and kids stranded on a rail crossing on a rainy night. The EGR and addition of ethanol to our gasoline would just about tie for the most absurd "interventions" in automotive technology in our lifetimes.

I would hope that everyone on this site gets an opportunity to read your post.

Sam

#590 · (Edited)
dfleck63, don't you wonder how many engines have been prematurely scrapped because of EGR related problems? Since this "gift" was imposed on us 40 years ago, I have lost count of the cars I have either worked on or driven with severe driveability problems caused by a sticking/malfunctioning EGR, including one that almost left my wife and kids stranded on a rail crossing on a rainy night. The EGR and addition of ethanol to our gasoline would just about tie for the most absurd "interventions" in automotive technology in our lifetimes.

I would hope that everyone on this site gets an opportunity to read your post.

Sam
On the same note, I wonder how many W210s were scrapped because of a $12 leaking transmission connector and the owner was told he/she needed a new transmission. These were $40K to $50K cars! That's $60K-$75K in today's dollar.

#595 ·
Just bought it for $100 a few months ago and am currently attempting to fix all its cost metic problems. Bought window regulators and dashboard trim prices.
LOL..................I spent $1500 on parts fixing and doing preventative maintenance on my free 2000 E320. Almost like new now :)

#594 ·
Regreased shims on the rear brake pads on the 1999 E320. They been making a real loud screeching sound while reversing. Especially when car has been sitting for awhile and the rotors start getting surface rust.