Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Power steering hose leak

12K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Al_Savage 
#1 ·
While doing a B service on the E300 today, I noticed some wetness on the power steering hose. See attached. Is this the typical leak scenario with these hoses? I saw a few threads regarding this leak. I think the part number is 210 466 04 81 (feel free to correct me) and it seems like the aftermarket guys don't carry it. MSRP from the dealer is about $140 or $100 wholesale. If that's the way I need to go, I'll buy it from Mercedes rather than take a chance on something Chinese. If any of you have a good source, please let me know. Also if there is anything else that I ought to replace while I'm in the area, please let me know.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You might also check around in your area; there are folks who custom-build hoses for high-pressure applications (like this and A/C) and it would almost assuredly be less than that.

#3 ·
There is Hose Shop in every bigger city, or FleetPride, or any bigger truck part shop will make hose.
The only problem you might have with them is finding new ends, but if yours are good, they can reuse them.
Than if you can get it for $100 delivered and don't need car for tomorrow, why not just save running around and get factory stuff.

#6 ·
I have had horrible luck at our local Hydraulic Hose Fabricator, which actually is a fairly large operation.

First, you mention the word "Metric" and you get a blank stare... After a look at the Funky, Mercedes-Specific fitting?, it deteriorates to "No Ingles".. :^(

#7 ·
The only hose I ever needed for MB was for wagon leveling system on W123, but I did order lot of hoses for my RV, tractor or forklift and never had even a glitch.
FleetPride, that I used the most had hundreds of fittings on the shelf.
Technology in last years help in making one universal hose that can withstand 3000 psi in hydraulics and be good for R134 in AC system.
Than you might find lot of SAE fittings in metric cars.
Somehow systems got mixed and all US cars are using metric spark plugs, while whole Europe is using pipes in inches.

#8 ·
Pics of power steering return hose replacement, 1999 E300

My power steering return hose has been leaking since I bought the car in March. I ordered a replacement (2109973182 for my E300, $65), removed the headlight filler panel, sucked what PS fluid I could from the reservoir using my large two-gallon Mityvac (though a turkey baster has worked well for me in the past), moved the WW fluid reservoir out of the way, removed the two 8mm bolts on the intermediate hose clamps and loosened the two 7mm bolts on the hose end clamps. Stuffed a lot of rags under the hose ends, and replaced the hose. It went well, was relatively easy, and only had to add 1 pint of PS fluid when done.

Click on any image for larger.

Reservoir moved, PS return (low pressure) line weeping where it meets the plastic nipple on the PS pump. I was having to wash this area about monthly to keep ahead of it.

Closer view of the area.

Headlight filler panel unbolted (two 8mm head screws) and dangling by some rubber bit, out of the way.

A clear shot at the cooler end of the hose. I didn't know about this weeping end until I had to access it to replace the hose.

The new hose comes from MB with hose plugs on it, so snaking it under the headlight does not get gunk in the hose. Nice touch. It also comes with the new intermediate hose clamps installed, but does not come with the ends hose clamps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.