Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Put car in reverse triggers lamp warning, but reverse lights are fine

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Hashem.m 
#1 ·
Hi, I recently acquired a 2001 E320 4matic wagon and am in the process of working out a list of minor issues.

I'm down to the faulty passenger seat sensor that causes the SRS light to stay on and one other annoying issue:

Whenever I shift in Reverse and stay in that for longer than 1 second, the car beeps and displays a lamp warning. Should be easy right? But both reverse lights are bright and fine! I've checked myself with someone else operating the car for no less than 10 times!

Any suggestions? Are some other lights suppose to come on when in reverse? Thanks.

#3 ·
Hi, erliban.

Please take a moment to click user cp and edit details so you can easily add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's often useful information when you're seeking assistance.

The first thing to do, since you are not the original owner, is to INSPECT the bulbs. They have to be the proper bulb, and many of the aftermarket (and most of the LED crap) won't work properly. The easiest thing to do is simply pick up a pair of them at the dealer, that way you know they are correct.

Once you have double-confirmed that the bulbs are correct, then the next step is to focus on the lamp holders and the connections on the PCB. It's all covered in the stickies.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Greg,

You're right. Sometimes the bulbs, even though appearing bright may have a lower-than-dieal wattage to prevent the warning.

I simply assumed the car was in the garage when placed in reverse. A similar situation happened to me several years ago.

I agree. A bulb inspection and perhaps a subsequent appropriate change should be in order.

Gurmail

#6 ·
BTW, Gurmail, I keep meaning to tell you that I love your profile pic. Did you take that yourself, and if so, do you mind posting the full-size one, perhaps in a gallery? It's a brilliant shot.

Have a good Labor Day Weekend!

#8 ·
thanks for the suggestions!

no I don't think it's the brake light because it never happens in any other gear, even if I brake.

plus when I shift from park to reverse my foot is always on the brake, all 3 brake lights are on all the time during the shift.

#10 ·
The warning works -to my knowledge- by sending a measuring the current through the lighting system -in this case the reverse- .
if the socket is corroded or as the expert above said wrong bulbs, error message will appear.
check the sockets and bulbs for corrosion. small dirt particle wont stop the light from turning on but enough for a warning message.
ours had the same issues but fixed them by sanding the sockets and the bulbs

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.