Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Pre-purchase spring perch rust question

796 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MBGraham 
#1 ·
I am looking at couple of E320 wagons. A 2000 4matic and a 2001 RWD. I have been reading a lot of stuff about what to look for but I can't find anything on just which E Class models and years are prone to spring perch rust. I have read that 4matics are not affected. I have read that 2000-on are OK. I have also read that both of those claims are only partially true, which means you should consider them false. Is there any definitive information on which years and models are affected? I am looking at both of these cars this weekend. A friend of mine's C230 collapsed. No accident, but not pretty. Thanks a lot for any info.

#2 ·
4M do have different suspension and seem the perches are stronger on them, but still not rustproof. I would be tempted to scrape any bubbling coating for the inspection.
MB sells perches reinforcement that cost pennies, but I could see it in Europe only.

#3 ·
It is not easy to inspect the spring perches, especially if it is not your car. I would check maintenance records to see if it has been done. For 4-matic, probably less of a concern, or so my dealer told me.

The weld area is heavily coated with seam sealer. It needs to be removed for the inspection and then re-applied. Probably an hour or so of labour?

During a free inspection that our dealer offers from time to time, I asked them to check the perches. They had a look, but couldn't do a proper job in the free inspection time allowed. I had a look at them myself, but saw their point. Mine were repaired once and later replaced (all at no cost and without me asking - after warranty expired). Hopefully not rusting under the sealant!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.