Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Puller for frozen rotors

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SkippyJasper 
#1 ·
Hi,
I went today to change my rotors and pads on my station wagon just to find that my rotor on the driver side is frozen.
I tried PB Blaster and some tapping and some pulling to no avail. I would like to try the puller from Harbor Freight Tools and my question is where to place the center pin. The pin (see picture) is pointed and it seems that it would sit in the middle of the hub just prefect. I am not sure though if it is OK to exert pressure on such single spot. I thought about putting some wood with metal across the hub, so the puller does not push into single spot and also once the rotor comes off it will be blocked by such wood block.
Anyway, I was curious if it is meant to be used on the center of the hub, or if I have to go through the hoops and make something else.
Thanks
Core drill Tool Machine Scientific instrument Measuring instrument

See less See more
#2 ·
Why invest in that? Did you see the excellent tip I posted just a few days ago? A few bucks in hardware at Home Depot/Lowes/OSH and you'll easily get them off.

#5 ·
I got a cheaper puller from HFT for 15.99 and it did the job just fine. It was a three jaw puller so it was little challenge to find good spots as the shield sits close to the rotor.
The rotors were 9.1mm and the minimum thickness on rotors was 10.3mm You could have seen the groove between where the pads sits and the edge of the rotor. Putting new Bosch QuietCast ones with the Bosch pads. Will see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.