Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anyone local who can clear transmission code?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MAVA 
#1 ·
Hello all,
Earlier this year I purchased a 1998 E320 and it has been a great car. It has 230000miles on it, but still runs great. Recently the transmission began acting up, transmission occasionally got stuck in "Limp" mode and caused a check engine light. I have a OBD II scanner, and was able to determine that it was the P0715 Input/turbine speed sensor malfunction. Based on my internet research, and the symptoms I was seeing, i determined it was the transmission conductor plate going bad. I got a new Mercedes Benz conductor plate, as well as new filter, pan gasket, fluid and a dipstick so I could refill and check the transmission fluid. I also read that sometimes, if a drink is spilled in the gear selector assembly that it can give false outputs and confuse the transmission computer, so I completely disassembled that/cleaned the electronic contacts with alcohol and lubricated the moving parts. (the electronic contacts looked fine, no evidence of a drink spill in there.) Everything is back together now but the transmission is stuck in second gear when I put it in drive. From what I have been able to glean from various posts, the transmission is now stuck in limp mode, and there is no way to clear the codes with a standard OBD II code scanner (I have tried also, and it does not work). I also tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours to see if that would clear the transmission, but that did not work either. It seems that I need to clear the code with with a 38 pin MB scanner.

So my question is twofold, 1) does this sound right? even after replacing the conductor plate (And plug) is it normal for the transmission to stay in limp mode? and 2) is there anyone local to Hopewell, NJ who has a 38 pin MB scan tool that would be able to help me reset the transmission? Am willing to travel, but since the car is stuck in 2nd, I can't go too far or get on any highways, which is why I was hoping I might find someone close.

Thanks for reading

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum and congratulation on reading old topics before jumping in with new one asking the same questions.
Yes, you are absolutely correct that hard limp can be only cleared by SD or advanced readers.
Here in Bay Area MB are very common and besides shops charging $150 for clearing the codes we do have mobile mechanics who will come to your place and do it for $50.
Go down the forum to recommended shops, but don't hold your breath there.
Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay the stealer.

#4 ·
Out of Limp mode

OK, well after $118.00, I found a local garage that was able to clear the code. Feels like a rip off, but based on the other posts here, I guess that is close to the going rate. Thanks all for the input. They also gave the car a once over and gave me a report on all the other things I should consider addressing in the near future.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.