Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

clay bar

7K views 63 replies 14 participants last post by  Check Codes 
#1 ·
I posted this in the "Car Care and Detailing" forum, but will put it here as well.
My '96 E320 probably hasn't had a cleaner/wax put to it in years. Even after washing, the surface feels almost "rough" when running your hand over it. Time to take some action, so, after a fresh washing, should I apply a cleaner to the paint first, then clay bar it, or can I do the clay bar approach first? The paint is in very good condition; I just don't want to mess anything up by doing it wrong. Thanks.
James

#4 ·
Before you go nuts with cleaners or buffers, wash the car with dawn dish soap. That will remove any remaining wax. Then clay it working in small areas (roughly 2 by 2) using a spray bottle of water to keep the paint wet. Refold the clay regularly. You will literally feel the finish get smoother.

Once you have clayed the whole car, you can use a paint cleaner if you wish, though if you've done a good job with the clay, all you'll really do is clean any clay remnants from the paint.

Then wax and seal.

Good luck.

#8 ·
Good point. Thanks.
James
Yes, I kind of "assume" people know the basics of clay.

What I'd suggest, James, is that you buy a couple of clay bars (different brands so you can pick the one you like most and buy that in the future, there really is a difference) and that way you already have a spare, just in case.

Also, don't use the whole clay bar. Tear off a piece of 1/3 or 1/2 (depending on your bar size) and use that. Then if you do happen to drop it, you're not finished.

Final tip, if you want (I've not done this, but have read about it): take a piece of curling ribbon and tie it to your wrist, then fold the clay over it so that if the clay slips, it won't fall to the ground. Obviously as you're refolding the clay throughout the process, you'll need to be sure to keep the curling ribbon in the middle of the clay so that it's hanging on in case you're not. ;)

Good luck with it. I sort of envy you, I really need to do this again but cannot find the time.

#10 ·
if you're feeling gritty surface with your bare hands, the paint is in a horrible state !
while you're claying the surface, find some saran wrap or thin sandwich bag.
wrap it around your hand (or wear it like a glove) and feel the surface. it will
enhance your feeling of the protruding particulates even more.

the claying may not resolve everything, as the cause may be from long term
weather, tree sap, etc. sometimes it may take a pro to check paint thickness
and to recommend course of action to prepare the paint foundation before
proceeding with claying and waxing.

good luck.

#11 ·
I'm happy to agree with Raymond that claying may not be enough, but there's absolutely no harm in trying it. It won't hurt paint or clear coat etc.

At any rate I'd go that route before expending money on a paint analysis, etc.

So far as brands, I've used a few and they all seem to work acceptably. I don't want to sway anyone, but a long time ago a friend recommended Four Star for the brilliant silver MB, and their products really do seem to make it pop...and smooth as silk, too. But they're expensive, $25 for the clay bar for example.

James, if you haven't already bought any, I'd just grab a couple at your local pep boys, autozone, oreilly, etc. And for what it's worth, the Meguiar's Quick Detail spray is really great as a clay lubricant, it lasts longer than water though it's certainly not required.

#12 ·
all great information- one other 'step' that I do is once I finish washing the car with Dawn soap, and after claying the entire car, I use a 50/50 mixture of water and Isoprophl alcohol- 70% this will remove any remnants of the claying process, then apply polish and wax.. this may not be everyone's way of doing it- but it has worked for me.

Thanks,
Rick

#13 ·
I used clay on wife car about 4 years ago and did front only. Lot of hard work. It did make a difference that lasted for about 2 weeks, but what I found years ago is using soft water for car washing. I used to live in city with so-so water supply and installed water softener.
Extra pipe for car washing turn out priceless. Car washed with such water looks beautiful with no need for drying, just some driving after.
You can buy hose-mounted water softener just for car washing.
When you start with water having hard minerals in it, clay or wax will not have good base.

#24 · (Edited)
Oh wow, thank you Greg, didn`t know that, learning something new everyday. And dang it I have done it:banghead: I waxed the car in mid June and was looking very nice, about 2 or 3 weeks ago I run out of shampoo on a Sunday and too lazy to run to Oreilly, walked inside the house and saw her dish soap, it wasn`t Dawn but I`m sure the formula is about the same and surprisingly last 2 weeks I was watching the car to fade even more everyday:confused: Dang it!!!
Time to get back to work again.

Oh man, that W201 looks stunning, my favorite MBs W210, W201 and W140, that`s a beauty, enjoy it.

#27 ·
Git er doone today:D:D

After reading Greg`s info about Dawn dish soap, the guilt run thru all my body for the last few days and finally I was off today.
Picked up some car shampoo and supplies yesterday after work.
I started around 8:30 this morning after the wife left for work, washed the car on the driveway with Dawn dish soap;) pulled into garage and started with the clay bar, 10 min after pulling into garage it started raining, perfect weather for detailing, no dust in the air.

I had my 3 month old son with me today and was worried that he was gonna get fussy but no he was a really good boy, put him on the swing, turn some music on and keep working, those little monitoring cameras work great, he woke up every 2.5 to 3 hours, fed him, get his gas out, change the diaper and he was ready to sleep again, wow I wish he was like this last friday also.

Anyway, after claying the entire car including the bumpers and side mirrors I moved to polishing, that went smooth as well. After the polish I took a little break had a sandwich and started to waxing with Mequiars Carnauba wax, by the time I was done it was about 3pm.

When I was done it was nice and sunny again, I moved the car out and ohh wooow, so shiny and smooth as silk, even my fingers slipped trying to close the trunk.

Here is the handsome Lucas after waking up at perfect time just as his daddy was done with the car. He didn`t give me enough time to take pictures of the car thou:eek: I`ll take em tomorrow if it`s not raining again.

PS: Raymond or Dig, if it is against the forum rules you are more than welcome to remove it, just wanted to share the handsome little guy with the fellow forum members.

Cheers
Al

Attachments

#28 ·
Al, if that's against forum rules, I'm leaving the forum. That's a brilliant picture and a wonderfully happy young man. Congrats.

And congrats on spending some quality time with the car, too, but Lucas is far more important. Indeed, he's so terrific that I hope you don't mind that instead of attaching it, I embedded it. If it is a concern, please let me know and I'll edit it off.

Have an excellent weekend.

#29 ·
Thank you Greg, if that was a concern then I'm leaving the forum too :) that's what I meant to do when I was loading the attachment but message turned out with the link, thank you for embedding it for me.
Great forum, great community, always helpful people, I don't think I'm gonna drive anything other than Benz for a long time.

PS:It's nice and sunny (but so far, you'll never know in CO) so I'll take some pics of the Blackhawk at work today.

#32 ·
I honestly don't know what he is gonna drive in the future but because of this handsome man's safety I dropped almost 1K at the W210, front brakes, ball joints, LCAs, upper control arms, sway bar links&bushings and 4 new bilsteins. He commutes with me about 34+34 miles to and from daycare. But it's well worth it, his safety is the most important.

#38 ·
Given that your picture was taken in the dark, still, the color looks like that of my '96 E320, which is "Smoke Silver." You call yours "Brilliant Silver/Charcoal;" is it the same as mine or a different color? Just curious.
James
Hello James,
My car is brilliant silver exterior and charcoal interior. Here is day time picture.
Ayman.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.