W210 vibration under braking - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 2001 E430 4 Matic
W210 vibration under braking

Having troubles chasing the culprit of right side (appears to be the front) vibration that happens under braking. It's not felt in the steering wheel. I changed the front rotors without much help. Lifting the front end and moving the wheels verticaly and horizontaly does not feel like there is any play.
Outer tie rods and lower ball joints have about 50K (km). I inspected the front wheel bearings and those felt tight.
I thought that perhaps it's the rear rotors but those are still looking new.
So what's left is the inner tie rods and upper arms. But, but they feel tight, and again I'm going with the feel I get when moving the front wheels.

Any thougths? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2001 E320, 2012 Ram 2500 Laramie CTD (deleted), 2012 HD FXDWG, 2011 Nissan Juke (wife's).
Lower a-frame bushings are shot......had the same problem on my S320. Replaced the bushings; problem solved!

Not a fun DIY job, if you tackle it yourself make sure you have a good spring compressor and be very cautious! Get it done unless you have experience in doing that kind of work!
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '14 GLK250
I have a thread going on same subject and I am also from Ontario.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ake-noise.html

This sort of thing has happened before. It is hard to know where problem is. May sound like it is in front when it is at rear. Last time, after changing front disk and pads, vibration was still there. It went away after the rusty edge on the rear disks was ground off. We were on the road and a shop did it for me. Lasted about 5 years, but vibration is back. I am going to change rear disks and pads as a starting point and see if that helps.

I had MB dealer check my front & rear suspension a couple of years ago. They replaced ball joints and tie-rod ends, so I don't think my vibration is suspension related.
MBGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

I've just completed replacement of my front springs and shocks. I did check the lower ball joint (horizontal joint) and it was easily rotated side to side compared to the one on the left. I've inspected the service history and both of them where changed BUT comparing the two, the one on the left would hardly move while the one on the right moved easily. Hmmm, perhaps that was paid for but service was not performed.

My lower A arm appears to be tight. Not sure why would I have to use a spring compressor on my shocks (E430 4Matic) as it takes very little lift of the A arm to remove the bolt from the lower shock. And that's with the new shocks and springs. Got help me if I have to remove the A arm. Those bolts are part of the frame by now with the Canadian winters this car went through.

Good point with the rear brake rotors. Grease monkeys torque the wheel bolts excessively. I understand that any warping can induce vibration which is exacerbated by ABS. It would be a shame as they still look good.

At this point I'm thinking of revisiting the lower ball joint issue.
EFSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 1997 s320
don't know from shinola, just passing along what i was told. if you know it's bs, say so.
my 'new' 97 e320 sedan has slight vib when braking hard, seems like left front. broker who sold it to me (distant fam member) told me when discs are hot, running thru cold water will warp them. get the disc machined.

if my pads need replacing machining is part of the job. if not, is there an easy way to tell if the disc is warped?
thanks, st
seekertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekertom View Post
if my pads need replacing machining is part of the job. if not, is there an easy way to tell if the disc is warped?
thanks, st
See video in Post 6 of this link:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ake-noise.html

Google should find more info on checking for warpage. I need to check my front and rear.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

well, I purchased the lower ball joint, got ready to get it off but upon closer inspection, there is nothing wrong with it. Hmmmmmmmmmm. So I'm not replacing it. No need. The ball joint is not as stiff as the new one. It turns 360 deg. easily but other than that there is no play. Upper A arm looks good too.
Interesting to note that the current old ball joint nuts are 21mm where as the new ball joint nuts supplied (at extra charge) are 22mm.
So my next job is to check runout on the rear rotors. If that's OK, then I'll be puting a microscope on my inner tie rods.

Last edited by EFSiR; 09-19-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

...I did run the car with the rear E brake on for 6km two months ago.(oops) But pulsation started prior to that event.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

I posted this Zimmerman FAQ in another thread, but it is useful reading:

Otto Zimmermann Bremsscheiben GmbH -
Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
B58
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1997 E320 4 door sedan
I had this problem on my wifes 97 E-320 changed out front pads,rotars with new brgs and races vibration still there.Changed out 2 new rotars on rear vibration gone.The small amount of run out on warped rear rotars was causeing the ABS to slightly trigger at low speeds causeing the very light vibration
B58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class