BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 2000 E430 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission would not shift out of first

So I backed out of my parking spot today and went to put the car in drive. Heard a loud clunk. Drove forward and then realized the car wouldn't shift out of first. Drove around the block then back to the parking spot. I could not move the shifter back into park, it stopped at reverse. I pulled the key out of the ignition and the shifter moved freely back to park. Restarted the car and the transmission seems to be working fine. Is this something that I need to get checked out or could it be just a fluke. I searched the forums and will do an adaptive reset just in case. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Did further research

Seems the consensus is to get the codes read. It's gonna cost me $105 to get it done (applied against labor if they find something.) Question is, could this just be a fluke? Should I keep driving for the next few days and see if it happens again? Don't want to waste money but also don't want to really jam myself with tranny damage. FYI, hadn't used the car for a week prior to this so could be low battery.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 03:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W210 E300DT x2/w211wagon4M / Ford SD. Seeking diesel pushmower
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
$105 is cheap. I was quoted $150 by indy transmission shop who had star-level computer. I replaced $120 electric plate instead.
If the fluke is not repeating itself every time - good wash to the plug and computer board plus new adapter solves over 90% of the issues.
If you did not change the fluid in last 40k miles, now you have chance to drop the pan, wipe it off, clean the speed sensor magnets and add some fresh fluid.
I hate to give repair advise base on statistics, but in this case troubleshooting exceed the value of highly successful blind fix.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
JB,

Kajtek is right! Now, per face value, and some things you can do prior to dishing-out 100 bucks..

A) Is your fluid/filter recent(in the last handful of years old).

B) Can you qualify the level with the appropriate Mercedes Testing dipstick.

D) Open the computer coffin, and inspect the two black skinny rectangular black connectors for transmission fluid intrusion. The connectors are above the main computer with the two to three fuses. Unplug them see if they are wet from oil. If they are wet, the probability of your car is in fail safe limp-mode.

Now, if you DIY on your cars, and this car is your second car, or can afford not running it for a couple of weeks. You can buy your self a Carsoft tester for 50 bucks from China. From this thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...stic-tool.html

Also, you could call around to your neighborhood auto stores, some read the OBD II codes for free like some Autozones do. The Mercedes codes can be read from the OBD port under the steering wheel, or in the engine area from the 38pin circular connector. The 38 pin is where the magic is for a transmission reset, but you can find out from the OBD port what is wrong.

Check your fluid level and fluid on the skinny connectors.

Report back what you find.

Best of luck,

Martin
#5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 05:22 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Battery

Thanks guys for the detailed responses. My fluid was changed 2 years ago and has 18,000 miles on it. I found another post which detailed a guy getting all these error messages and limp home mode from a bad battery. I rarely use the car and hope that that's it. My concern was not wanting to get the scan and do repairs based on bad error codes. As far as the other suggestions, I really don't have the capabilities to work on the car myself as I live in a downtown Miami condo with limited parking. I will try to run to Autozone for a free scan if available.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 10:07 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Resolved ... I think

So I ended up having the codes scanned and the only thing that came back were low voltage codes. I decided it was time to change the battery so hopefully that will solve the problem. All's good so far. Thanks again for the input.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W210 E300DT x2/w211wagon4M / Ford SD. Seeking diesel pushmower
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Low voltage warning codes come from bad charging and that should show on cluster.
Bad battery will simply quit cranking at some time.
I think you are due for new voltage regulator.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.