BAS/ASR - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 1998 E320 W
BAS/ASR

Hi,

Just last week I completed a switch out of the electronic controller plate and pressure sensor spring in the transmission. I followed G-AMG's DIY process posted in the sticky section. It worked beautiful for about 500 miles but last night I got the ASR warning light on and then it changed to BAS, I got home and read in the owners manual and it says to get it to the dealer(naturally).

I had to drive it today for work but on the way home I got to a stop light and lo and behold, I only had the rev of the engine, no movement. What? I just fixed this I said. I limped home having to stop every 200 feet to turn off the car and let the transmission reset. Each time I restarted the car it would flash the BAS warning and then change to ASR and as soon as it did that I would loose my forward momentum like it had been shifted into neutral. I was so happy with the other fix but now I am bummed. Any of you had anything similar?

Thanks

Garth
GarthsMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1998 E320, 2008 320ML CDI
The search function is your friend.

Here's two possible/maybes.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ke-lights.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ke-lights.html

Common theme is brake light switch and/or battery voltage.

Skippy
'98 E320
SkippyJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Skippy,
Thanks for your response. I had looked at these posts but they didn't seem like they matched my problems. I am going to change the switch and the battery but I am most concerned with the ASR warning light affecting the transmission. Any thoughts?

Thanks again
Garth
Old 07-31-2013, 03:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

I'd start with the brake switch, dealer only part. The battery may be fine, you know best on its age and condition.
These cars are sensitive to low voltage so having clean and tight connections can cure a host of problems.
Leave the ASR light to last. It may get cured by the other actions.
Skippy

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Skippy, I did the brake light switch change out and sure enough, the BAS/ASR lights disappeared. I was delighted. (no pun intended) The engine electronics warning and the CEL were still lit but it seemed to be shifting and working well. I was headed to my friends house to have the warning lights cleared and the trans shifted into high gear and then it just acted like it was in neutral. rev goes the engine and it's off to the side of the road I go. Then it was the painful task of getting back home having to stop every few hundred yards to shut of the engine and wait for the transmission to reset. I would shift through the gears and then it would just stop driving the wheels. Neutral. Got any ideas?? Any help would be much appreciated.

GarthsMB
Old 08-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

When you started the conductor plate journey, was the car running OK? No CEL?

Possible that the TCU has a fault code stored which will require a better scanner to reset.

Did you replace the electric connector?

Correct amount of fluid?

Skippy
Old 08-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

The car was not working properly. I had been doing research on what to do about the shifting problems and determined to do the conductor plate change out. I followed the picture process the G-AMG did, found in the sticky section. I replaced it all and refilled the trans with proper fluid. I knew that in order to get it out of limp mode that I would need to have the CEL and the other codes cleared. I drove it in limp mode after the work was completed to a independent MB mechanic and he cleared the codes out of the TCU. It ran great for 500 or 600 miles until I started to get the BAS/ASR warning lights and then the transmission started to act up again. I am confident in the work that was done but I'm sure perplexed on what could be causing this now. Any ideas??
Garth
Old 08-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

I am going to the independent MB shop in the morning to have a scan done again. I will see what codes are stored and at what level. I'm sure curious what the problem is. I am finding that these cars are quite temperamental so I need to stay on top of the diagnostics.

Thanks for the attention

Garth
Old 08-02-2013, 04:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

I'd be inclined to think the BLS problem is separate from the transmission.
Now that you replaced it its back to the trans.
Maybe I missed it, but did you evaluate the electric connector in the trans? I realize you had it off to do the plate, but it is a source of problems.
Hopefully you trip to the Indy will travels something more definitive.
Skippy

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Are you talking about the connector that has the leak problem that wicks up the harness? I replaced it with the updated one from MB. However, I had no leak problem and the TCU was dry and looked very clean.

Thank you for your help.

Garth

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class