Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

wagon fuel pump

8K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
So I removed the plastic fuel pump/ fuel filter cover located on left underside of the wagon .......... no pump ..... just the filter?

So I went looking around and I noticed a small plastic cover just in front of the gas tank -- almost at the differential. I could barely reach it. Gave it a tap and all kinds of dust and small stones fell out. Including what looks to be a weep hole -- the part is shaped like a bath tub -- so I bet if the drain clogs it fills up with water ... great design?

Anyway ....I hit it about 20 times to try to get more of the dirt out and reached in and I felt what must be the pump.

I went back and turned the key -- the pump went on -- I did this about 5 times to make sure that it was pumped up ... car started right up.

So I guess I should replace the pump -- Anyone know how on the wagon? ... I'm not seeing any wagon pump threads.

#2 ·
How about any diagrams -- I'm not finding one for the wagon fuel lines.

The filter is the same -- so it has 4 lines in/out ,,, the only diagram shows a different gas tank with a two port filter.

The wagon obviously needs a different tank since the floor is so flat - but I don't understand the different pump location.

#4 ·
I have no luck with that on the MAC ---

The part #170 is the plastic cover I can see -- so I bet that is the correct layout and pump

I'm trying to figure out if it is the same pump as the sedan. That filter looks different in that picture -- only 3 fittings -- unless it just does not show the remaining one.

The filter I purchased has 4 outlets ... We are getting too much rain currently to give the filter another look

#5 ·
Ah, you MAC guys. If you search around (I think it's in the general forum) there are some guys with suggestions to get it to work on some mac OS version, or maybe it's just Linux. You could always do a boot partition to Linux, too. :)

The fuel pump is 0004707894 and the filter is 0024773001 (the EPC actually names Knecht as the brand for the filter which is really, really rare, brands are usually not mentioned).

Whether those are the same for the sedan I don't know. However, I'd first check the connections on the pump. If that was full of leaves and stuff there may well be corrosion, and cleaning it up may restore proper functionality.

Good luck.

#7 ·
Thanks both for the information -- it looks like the pump is available for about $200.00 now that I know it is the same as the sedan.

I am certainly going to look at the connections -- the pump did sound a little strange when it first started to pump and then it ran fine ...

I'm not sure what actually fails when they go.

I have a few things to do to the car - so It will be out of service for a few days -- I will take the cover off of the ump and give it a look.

#8 ·
Update: I replaced the fuel pump and filter back when I started this thread -- ordered from Amazon. The pump I used was as a Bosch ($160) -- in a Bosch box with Bosch stickers on it -- made in Poland by TI Automotive. It started to make noise and was failing.

I ordered the OE Pierburg from Amazon -- ($220) ... Pierburg box -- same pump ...made in Poland by TI Automotive.

It looks like Pierburg was bought by TI Automotive -- all the pumps come from Poland and are made by TI. I see them listed for ($100) -- I bet it's the same pump. They have many numbers -- but all cross reference as being the same pump.

They just change the stickers and the box.

#9 ·
Second update: I was a bit annoyed that Bosch never called me back about the warranty on the fuel pump. I called them a couple of times last year when it started to make noise -- and after I replaced it. Hay -- stuff fails ... and I know that Bosch is not the OE supplier. Amazon -- said I had to speak to Bosch for the warranty.

I went to the MB dealer a few weeks ago to pick up some ordered parts for one of my old girls -- the guy in front is getting a fuel pump! I ask to take a look -- he opens the MB box (with hologram) looks to be the same pump -- except...... it says Pierburg/ Germany ???

The pumps all look a like -- even the ones from China. You can't go by looks.

I was annoyed about ordering the Pierburg pump from Amazon and getting one from Poland -- TI Automotive. Maybe the MB pump was old stock -- who knows. Maybe the newest pump will be TIA from Poland -- they did buy them.

I complained to Amazon -- telling them that the only thing Pierburg is the box -- and questioned if it was the OE pump as described.

This time ....They refunded the pump price. So I'm only out the second labor charge of $150.00 ...

#10 · (Edited)
"Maybe the newest pump will be TIA from Poland."
"CEO of TIA says they will still use the Pierburg name on their new products."

I see Autohaus no longer sells Pierburg for my cars. Only Bosch.
I bought a Pierburg from Autohaus in 2014, and it said made in Poland.
P/N 000 470 78 94 $217.81

Complicated, and confusing. Just hope they last, is all.
Probably will no longer see Pierburg/Germany.

#11 ·
Unfortunately you can't change much about global economy.
The pilot pushing for our cars come from Czech Republic.
Don't remember what was from Ukraine.
I think what might make it easier is to buy crucial parts from local dealer. Will cost a bit more (although after I ask dealer about "bussines owner discount" I was getting some lower prices than Internet) but in case of trouble you will get part replaced over the counter.
From what I remember stealers will give you 12 months warranty honored by any other stealer.

#12 ·
The cover comes off very easily. I too had debris inside the plastic bathtub shaped cover. I was poking around because I wanted to replace the fuel line that runs from the pump to the filter as mine was starting to rust out. I considered replacing the fuel pump because my car has 180k and the pump looks original. I priced them out on Amazon, Ebay and all the usual on line german parts sources. Ranging in price from $60 and up. Based on this thread, who knows what you'll get, even at the dealer. I decided to leave it be since it's working fine and easy enough to change if I have to. Jack up the car and take off the cover and replacing is self explanatory. Get yourself some fuel line pliers/crimpers before disconnecting any fuel lines. I believe both the feed and supply lines are neoprene with clamps. Inspect condition of the lines and replace the clamps with "fuel line clamps" not the worm gear type.
I replaced my fuel line with type R9 hose, which is made specific for gasoline and will handle over 160psi. The original fuel line is made of both neoprene and steel and seeing that both ends terminate with neoprene, I decided to make a new line completely out of R9 and jacketed it with plastic wire loom. I used fuel line clamps on both ends. Ran the line up and around the rear x member trying to follow the path of the original line as much as possible. Have been using the car for well over a month with the new fuel line and no trouble at all. Total cost with R9, clamps and jacketing was around $40. Personally, if I were to replace the fuel pump, I'd order the
HFP 432 from Amazon ($70) I inquired about where it's made: Here is what the response. I believe there is only one major manufacturer who produces their pumps in the USA - Walbro. Our pump has a lifetime warranty, and I would be happy to answer any questions about it before you make the purchase. We can be reached directly at 818-574-3835.
So for $70 and lifetime warranty to me it's a no brainer. While no one wants to have a breakdown, any fuel pump could fail no matter what brand. Fortunately, our pumps are relatively easy to swap out and with a lifetime warranty I'd go that route. Hope this helps. PS: I found the fuel line issue with my car while changing the fuel filter which is located on the drivers side forward of the left rear wheel. Plastic cover with three 10mm nuts.

#13 ·
I have no problem with a pump being made in Poland -- the OEM's have factories all over the place. I am expecting .. or should I say "used to be" expecting Bosch to be "first tier" parts ... I'm finding they are "rebranding" more and more. The rebuilt end of the business is not doing them any favors in the "quality" department. I was expecting the Pierburg to be = in quality to the original.

I ordered new hoses and clamps from my local dealer when I did the first pump -- Think the filter came from Autohaus.

Yes, MB gives a great warranty. It used to be the case that if a part failed within 1 year they would replace the part including labor -- even if bought over the parts counter.

#14 ·
Forgive me for asking, but why not buy American? As I mentioned in my post, the HFP 432 fuel pump is around $70 with a lifetime warranty. On another note, when I serviced my transmission (722.6) I used Valvoline MaxLife which is listed as approved by MB ($20 gallon at Autozone) a Beck Arnley filter kit ($15) and the Pilot bushing from Dorman products ($8)
Don't get me wrong, I like using quality replacement parts and having been in the auto repair trade for most of my life, I've used a host of aftermarket parts, some good and some junk. The brands I mentioned I've used with positive results many times in the past. Sometimes the factory OEM parts are not much more than aftermarket and in that case I would lean towards the OE, but I've replaced the serpentine belt and radiator hoses with Gates products, the Idler and tensioners with Truk (German aftermarket) and the Alternator (rebuilt) via Autozone which net cost was $123. with LIFETIME warranty! IMO there are options besides OE parts. Think outside the box and think wisely.
Save $$ while you're at it. This past week I did some exhaust work on my car. I was going to order this exhaust pipe "stay" from the dealer at a cost of $35 plus shipping. I was at a Tractor Supply store browsing around and found an off the shelf steel fencepost clamp in the shape of a "w" top and bottom with a bolt in the middle for $6. I bought it and it fit like it was made for the car! Nice heavy gauge steel too.
I'm making repairs to keep my car running, not restoring it for a car show. Practical, durable repairs that I don't want to revisit.

#15 ·
James: I grew up around MB's and tend to buy them and keep them for a long time -- as did my parents. I have learned over the years that much of the aftermarket stuff does not hold up as well. That's not to say at this point with a w210 that they may not be a practical alternative due to the age of the vehicles and expected future life.

There is and has been for 40 years importers of OE parts to the USA -- MB's markup on parts was extremely high until the early 90's. Finding the exact OE part through an importer has been possible for a long time

Reading the forum I think you will find those who have had trouble with the Truk and I stay away from Dorman -- that's not to say that some have not been satisfied. I'm also not sure that the Maxlife is on the MB list -- rather it's on the MaxLife bottle/ site as meeting the base MB specification.

Unless others have use a particular aftermarket with success -- I normally stay away. I did buy the full ContiTech ADK0034P serpentine kit a while back..... as others have been satisfied (AutohausAZ -- $158.)

#16 ·
I appreciate your position about your choice for replacement parts. Experience is usually the best teacher and I tend to stick with what has provided favorable results in the past. As for the MaxLife ATF, I did extensive research and actually saw a post (either here or on the other site) showing the MB list which included MaxLife as approved. Frankly, I'm amazed at the variety of ATF in general these days for any vehicle. With regard to MB cars and transmissions, Chrysler/Dodge dealers sell the correct fluid for MB's due to the x use of 722.6 transmissions in the Crossfire cars. They also sell the Pilot bushings and filter kits. I don't know if they outsource these parts and rebox them or if they are genuine MB parts that are reboxed into Mopar cartons? I owned a few Saabs in recent years and servicing the 2005 9.3 I owned led me to find many of the "Saab" parts to be GM reboxed at 3 times the price. Case in point was the fuel sender/fuel pump sold by Saab for over $350. I didn't need a pump, just the fuel sensor in the tank. I was able to source it through a Chevy dealer separately for $35 since the Saab part was a reboxed AC Delco part. As for my E320, this is my first MB and I do love the way it operates and appreciate the engineering and quality. I respect recommended service suggestions as it lends to keep the beast running well. And as you mentioned, there is a "break off point" with regard to the age of the vehicle and making practical repairs and parts choices. I find personal satisfaction if I can make a good repair that will last, using off the shelf or outside the box approaches, and like to share my findings with other enthusiasts. It's a "take it or leave it" attitude on my part. In any event, good luck with your projects and most importantly, enjoy the ride!

#17 · (Edited)
I bought Mopar pilot bushing and it come in Mopar box, but inside it was original MB plastic bag with part made in Czech Republic.
I used Dorman parts on my Ford Truck and lot of them come with lifetime warranty.
I think Dorman is just wholesaler and parts come from several manufacturers.
Some of them are good, some of them are lemons.
I think with MB parts we are fighting old perception when all MB were manufactured in Germany and mostly by German labor but now, with modern economy, MB have parts suppliers in several countries and even assembly lines in Germany don't have too many native Germans on it.
Still it is quality control that matters at the end, not who is turning the screw.

#18 ·
Good post and good points about parts. I installed a Dorman transmission bushing (electrical connector) and compared it very closely with the original that I removed. I found the Dorman to be well constructed with a little design change from the MB original. I was tempted to simply use the new O rings from the Dorman and reinstall the OE bushing, but decided it best to have a new part rather than one with lots of years and miles. It's been a couple of months since I installed the bushing and it's holding up just fine. Which ever part you buy, always best to compare it with what you've taken out before just installing it.

#20 · (Edited)
I buy the OE from Autohaus -- they are $10-12 bucks. The color of the "O" rings tells if it is new or old style -- the new style can just be changed out except the rings can cost more then the whole parts.

Autohaus is a great place for this stuff - I place an order once or twice a year when I need over $75 worth of filters/ bulbs/ or other small parts -- free shipping.

They even ship the fluids for the trans and wagon leveling.

#19 · (Edited)
There are exceptions obviously ... hay ............this whole thread is about the very subject. Don't buy the Pierburg pump thinking you are getting anything different then the Bosch pump or any other pump made by them in Poland.

With all the resellers it is getting more difficult to ascertain where something is made -- and by who ... until it arrives.

I can get some Jaguar parts (engine) from Ford for less money then the local Jaguar dealer. Ford used the Jaguar V8 with different heads in the LS and the T-bird when they owned Jaguar -- it was also used in the Land Rover. Once you go "online" the price differences evaporate -- all offered for around the came discounted price.

#21 ·
Good point about Autohaus, I've ordered several items from them as well. Have also used E-European and most recently RM European in Colorado. I made a couple of big purchases from RM since their prices on some items were way cheaper than the other two mentioned.
Sometimes Amazon has the best price. Rock auto is a source I use for x referrence and part numbers as well as MB of Atlanta. It's very rewarding and enlightening to research the parts and prices rather than just robotically go to the dealer and pay way more than needed. Aside from my technical background as a GM tech and service manager, mechanical and body shop owner and lastly NYS licensed and ASE certified Insurance adjuster, I've got some hard earned stripes and skinned knuckles to go with my opinions.

#22 ·
Surprisingly my local stealer beat Autohousaz price on MB coolant by about 10% so you never know.
Also the Autohous software is annoying. I needed CV boots for my W211.
AH listed one, but not the other. This is a part that is not listed separately on US EPC, so took me time to find part # on ebay.
Then I went back to AH with part number and it popped up with note "Fits W211" but it will not show on W211 parts list.

#24 ·
I always check with an online dealer first to get the actual price.

I maintain about 15 cars -- business and personal ... filters/ bulbs /wiper blades or inserts. Autohaus has a wide range of parts ... they act as a reseller on many of the Japanese cars. I find them a good source for better aftermarket rotors and pads -- but I use them all. Just got an exhaust system for my older Pathfinder.

#25 ·
You got any receipts from dealer/Autohaus.??
How much does 10% translate into.?

I know nobody uses their phones to "make a call" anymore, BUT if you call Autohaus they will tell you EXACTLY what you need, and if they stock it.

Shopping around has always been a good idea, BUT you get what you pay for.:smile

#30 ·
Bought official MB coolant from AH couple months ago at $24 and some change (I see they dropped the price by a couple cents now). Then later I bought the MB coolant from the dealer because I needed it now, and over the counter price was $21. With my shop discount, it came out to $18 and some change.

So yes, dealer can be cheaper than resellers sometimes. I bought a 722.6 filter and gasket from them for $30, and it was genuine OEM whereas online resellers use off brand filter/gasket and with shipping come out to be more expensive than the dealer.

#26 ·
Just a thought, these forums are meant to help others with information and friendly advice. Some give that while others are quick with the "know it all" and "snobby" remarks. Sorry as I don't mean to offend anyone, just chill out. No one knows everything and if you're happy doing things one way or the other, buying from one vendor or another, using OE vs AM, it's all good. No need to push advice or opinions. This is not a pissing contest!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.