Fan clutch/water pump - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 97 E420
Fan clutch/water pump

Hey all,

Great site! Just bought a 97 e420 and cant find the info on the size wrench I need to remove the fan clutch. I've seen 36mm mentioned but the bolt is a little smaller than that.

Replacing the water pump and finding that the fan bracket needs to be loosened. From what I can see, the fan and clutch as well as the pulley needs top come off in order to get to the bracket bolts.

Does anyone know the size of the fan clutch bolt? Unfortunately I have it all apart.

TIA
IMHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
I removed mine a few months back now and I would highly recommend the tool needed for the job. It's a Y shaped tool that fits over the few bolts that hold the clutch in place.

I managed to use a few wrenches but I can't remember the size. It's a headache if you don't have that tool. The mechanic and I had to actually cut the plastic fins to freely reach the bolts and not damage the radiator grille.
brandon671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W210 E300DT x2/w211wagon4M / Ford SD, JDtractor. Seeking diesel pushmower
If you are lucky and have the clutch with big hex to unscrew -air chisel usually removes it on about 3 seconds.
This is what I found on youtube after spending 2 hr trying slipping wrenches on my Ford.
Wasn't so lucky on my E300 as it had Allen bolt on the center of the clutch holding about 200 ft-lb.
A picture of what you have would make it easy answer?
Kajtek1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1991 300TE, 1988 260E 5 Speed (deceased), 1998 E320 4 Matic (sold), 1995 Saab 900S
Water pump

I just replaced the water pump on my E320 three weeks ago. I unscrewed the allen bolts and took the fan blade off. By some miracle I was able to unscrew every last screw from the water pump with the fan clutch still attached. After that I went to Autozone and borrowed their tool kit for removing the fan clutch, If you put a deposit (I think it was $60) Autozone will let you take the loaner tools home. You get the deposit back when you return the tools. I put the old water pump in a bench vise and then used the special tools to get the clutch off. Even with the right tools the clutch was a beast to get off. This is also a good time to check and replace any whiny bearings. Should one fail while on the highway it could get messy. This was the reason for replacing my water pump in the first place. Pump bearing collapsed. Made a terrible noise, and the fan blade took out much of the shroud as it wabbled around. Glad it happened in my driveway.

Cheers,
Werner J Stiegler
Werner J Stiegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

rented the tool from autozone but the wrench is too big. here's the nut
Attached Thumbnails
Fan clutch/water pump-image.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W210 E300DT x2/w211wagon4M / Ford SD, JDtractor. Seeking diesel pushmower
Did you try air chisel?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

looking for one local any ideas on stores that would have one?

BTW it is a 36mm the first set I tried was freakin stretched. Have a decent set now but cant budge it
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: '02 E430 4Matic, '01 BMW 740i, '10 Chevy Suburban, '12 VW Golf TDI, '96 Harley, '14 MB E350 Sport
This was the same pain in the rear when I did my BMW 740 water pump. Seems the German engineers all think alike regardless of car brand.

I made my own tool to hold the pulley, but it looked just like this -
BMW Fan Clutch Removal Spanner

I also needed to grind down a wrench (thickness) to fit the narrow clearance, although they do make a special one if you want to buy it.

Good luck.
raywbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks all. I finally got! What a PITA. First try the gasket on the bottom slipped into the pump. Luckily it didnt ruin the gasket.

Spent too much time and skin trying to get the fan clutch off. I was able to loosen a couple of bolts on the fan bracket, pry it just enough forward and slid the pump in with the gasket this time.

The fun part is that all of the vacuum lines broke in the process. I guess they needed to get done so they are.

No drips no mess! Thanks again
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMHuge View Post

Spent too much time and skin trying to get the fan clutch off. I was able to loosen a couple of bolts on the fan bracket, pry it just enough forward and slid the pump in with the gasket this time.

The fun part is that all of the vacuum lines broke in the process. I guess they needed to get done so they are.
I never get it. Why come to internet forum ask for advise when you do it the hard way anyway?
My Mercedes has different clutch, so I could not use that method on it, but it worked as a charm on my Ford.
Here is the video that I used. The guy on it is a talker, but look between 5:20 and 5:45.
This is the 25 seconds the guy needed to break his clutch nut loose.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class