Recently purchased a E320 at a great price or so I thought. Only $1,500. Drove it for 3 to 4 months and drove great, but slowly started having dash lights pop up and various issues.
1) started noticing my ABS/ETS dash light coming on intermittently for about a month. Looked it up here and read it could be due to brake light switch. It made sense to me because it would usually light up after pressing on the brakes. Did not replace it as I thought it wouldn't be a huge deal!
2) transmission was slow to shift out of second gear (currently on W- winter mode). Didn't think anything of it because I actually enjoy driving a stick due to the fact that you can hold the revs higher. Would usually do it when it was cold. After the tranny would warm up it would shift perfect.
3) then started noticing the temp gauge would climb above midway. Never went above that, but it seemed odd to me and thought it was worth keeping an eye on.
I have an obd ii and no codes came up.
4) One day after a one hour drive, I parked and listened to music while waiting in the car. Possibly draining the battery slightly. and when I had to drive it again about 5 to 10 minutes later I started hearing a whiney sound coming from what I thought was the transmission.
A) drove about a mile and sound went away
B) arrived at destination 3 miles away, then shut off car for 5 minutes
C) drove off and about half a mile later "LIMP MODE" !!!!!
D) Dash light came on saying "Check engine electronics"
5) after some reviews of OBD ii I got code P0700 and p0730.
6) Replaced the transmission electronic connector/plunger (had ATF in it)
7) removed TCU and it too had a slight bit of oil on it. Sprayed it with MAF spray and let it dry.
8) ATF I drained looked like a milky red. Def not the normal transparent red I'm used to seeing. Did not see any signs of metal scaps after filtering the old oil through a white rag.
9) Replaced fluid with MB ATF
10) Drove it to my local MBZ indy shop and they said they would clear the codes free of charge as long as they didn't have to do any diagnositcs. I said no diagnostics needed. Just hoping the wet plunger/connector and the oil on TCU would have been the cause of the issues.
11) Mechanic started the car to check transmission fluid level and it looked good.
12) I get in the car to drive off and the car was once again in limp mode
is it possible that he did not clear the transmission codes and only cleared the engine codes? He first went through the codes such as rear tail light out, abs/ets and after I mentioned p0700, then he looked into the transmission sector of the diagnostics.
anyhow, I was watching the entire thing and was quietly taking notes.
The codes that came up where:
P1584, P0730, 055, 116, 118, 119, 136, 147.
The mechanic told me to start by replacing the brake light switch and said that often causes a limp home mode due to it interacting with the wheel speed sensors and sending faulty signals.
The shop owner told me that the oil in the transmission could be mixing with the antifreeze coolant and that I needed to change my radiator and flush my transmission a couple times.
also a couple of those codes pointed to the right and left rear speed sensors, however the mechanic said to first try the brake switch sensor since this might interfere with those sensors. He said its a cheap DIY fix and it might fix the issue.
My next step will be replacing the brake light switch since it is so inexpensive and was directly recommended by the mechanic.
Does any of this sound like the conductor plate/valve spring may be bad? Would that cause the transmission to make a loud whiny sound? Any solenoid contamination/plug possibility?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. First post here and not sure if I'm posting to the correct section. Would like to fix this all myself if I have to. My next option is getting a transmission from a 70K vehicle that suffered a front end fender bender. Guy is selling me the tranny and computer for $550. Might be able to negotiate. Question is how long until that conductor plate goes out? Might be better off adding these new components to my existing tranny and extending its life if possible. Or does it sound like its shot? Was shifting perfect except for the occasional prolonged shift between 2nd and 3rd gear.
Please help, forum gods!
Thanks in advance for any help.