Orange coolant + Blue coolant? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Coolant service is every three years with no mileage limit up until about 2003. Then in 2003 Mercedes went to a 15 year/150,000 mile interval because there is an additive pack in the system that wears down over that time period. It is my understanding that if you replace that coolant after that interval and you do not put in a new additive packet that you are then back on the three year interval.

Len
'59 220S Cabriolet - for sale - http://www.mbzponton.org/mbz220s/sellswap/car4sale.htm
'83 240D original owner 350,000 miles - for sale - http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...g-my-240d.html
'88 560SL 41,000 miles being parted out - https://sites.google.com/site/mercedesstuff/home
'99 E300 turbo 182,000 miles
'03 SLK320 29,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2000 E320; 1984 230CE MANUAL;2012 Acura TL Technology Package; 2002 Lexus LS430 Ultra Luxury Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelonfire View Post
Hey guys,

I am using the orange one right now. I want to switch to the new blue coolant.

Old - Q1 03 0002
New - Q1 03 0004

Now the label says I cannot mix the orange with the blue, and that I have to flush the fluid before switching to the new one.

Question is what harm will the coolant mixing will do to my car? I don't want to flush the fluid again. I just flushed it 10,000 miles ago.

98 E320.
So to answer your question: Blue and yellow have different chemical makeup. When mixed, it will make guey solid boogers that will clog up your radiator and will lead to overheating problems. Why in the world do you want to go to blue stuff? Stick with yellow-orange stuff. I've had my yellow Zerex in for ~4 years or so.
#13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 1998 Mercedes E320
Send a message via AIM to squirrelonfire Send a message via MSN to squirrelonfire Send a message via Yahoo to squirrelonfire
(Thread Starter)
Guys sorry for my late response.

Here is the situation. I put Zerex G0-5 in my car last time I exchanged coolant. Now my car runs at 90 C in idle/stuck in traffic. So I go to the store and buy the Redline water wetter and now the temperature goes down to like 83 ish. This makes me think Zerex G05 was just crapy.

So then I tried to order the OEM yellow coolant and autohausz said they only carry the new blue one. That was why I posted the question.

Anyway I called MBoSA and they have the old coolant on the website, and so I ordered it yesterday. When I receive the coolants tomorrow, I will post the result.

Thanks all for the numerous replies.

Also sokoloff, what is that addictive you are speaking of? You have a part number for it?
#14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 06:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W210 E300DT x2/w211wagon4M / Ford SD. Seeking diesel pushmower
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That is just too bad. Last time I was buying MB coolant at my friendly warehouse, I was offered blue or orange. I have excellent experience with orange stuff and did not want to be Guinea Pig testing the blue one, hoping somebody else will do it
The additive to coolant on W211 is build into the reservoir tank. Suppose after 15 years you need to buy new tank just to get additive. The time did not arrive yet for those cars, so I will be curious how it will turn out for the owners.
#15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
SQ - you might consider you are wigging out in the wrong direction - but you have prior posts on this same issue and you don't seem to calm down.

Listen - even I at one point or another have fixated on the temp gauge.. we all do it at some point - but its necessary to treat your MB with intelligent respect..

1st - No, Xerex does not run "hotter" than MB coolant. Yes, there is a small chemical difference between the G05 pre-mix you choose to buy versus MB coolant concentrate mixed with distilled water - but difference and effect is not significant. Concentrate is used by MB due to longer shelf life versus pre-mixed - think about it that way and you will understand at some point.

1st - 90C at stop/go traffic is not unusual for a 14 year old Benz. You haven't mentioned you were the original owner - so safe to assume you are not - and at the same time you make no mention of low mileage on your W210 - so lets assume 150K or more...

14 tr old W210 - assume not low mileage - about 150K miles let's say:

1) Your fan clutch has lost some of the original efficiency

2) You have some corrosion - not necessarily a lot - in the cooling system due to old/uncertain coolant and electrolysis caused by the different metals in the engine/cooling system.

If you want to be righteous - pull the thermostat and check the condition with regards to small/degree of any corrosion - as recommended before you can consider a cooling system flush - either with MB product or do a seach for other off-the-shelf cooling system products safe with alum block engines

Test, and consider replacing the fan clutch with the Factel-Sachs OE replacement fan clutch
#16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
1st - No, Xerex does not run "hotter" than MB coolant. Yes, there is a small chemical difference between the G05 pre-mix you choose to buy versus MB coolant concentrate mixed with distilled water - but difference and effect is not significant. Concentrate is used by MB due to longer shelf life versus pre-mixed - think about it that way and you will understand at some point.
SQ is not the first member reporting his car running hotter on Zerex.
I never used that coolant, but switched different cars from different coolant to MB coolant and recorded engine temperatures dropping.
In my case I always did some other things like system flush, so could never tell 100% it was better coolant that made all the difference, but in this case we are talking switching the same car in the same conditions from one mixture to other and SQ reports solid temperatures changes.
For me that is 100% proof.
#17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 104,000+
Lifetime Premium Member
Maybe another debate on which fluid to use that we will never answer with 100% conclusion. The price of MB coolant is not that much more than Zerex so why take the chance? And contrary to what your owner's manual tells you, use distilled water when you mix it.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
#18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

How much more proof you want MM?
I made my conclusion long time ago, this is just another fact to confirm it.
#19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 104,000+
Lifetime Premium Member
Kajtek1, you and I are on the same page. I have no doubt that MB coolant is superior and that is all I will ever use in my MB. I just meant that this issue will never be answered in the eyes of some people.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
#20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 10:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 1997 S320
quit chasing ghosts guys. zerex-g05 is mb coolant. glysantin g05 was formulated by BASF (german chemical company) and mb has been using it for over 20 years G05® – Silikathaltiger Hybrid-Kühlerschutz ǀ Glysantin®. the only company licenced in the USA to use glysantin g05 formulation is valvoline which makes zerex-g05. valvoline has been the g05 coolant supplier for mbusa, i have been told this by 2 different service advisors at mb dealerships. also mb lists zerex g05 as an approved coolant. now why you guys think zerex g05 runs hotter than mb coolant is beyond me, since they are both exact chemical formulation coming from same factory but in different color bottles.
kajtek, diesels run cooler than the gassers. so for you to see 80C is normal, but for gassers 80C is not fully hot, but 87-90C.
squirrel, your coolant system is behaving normal. seems like you are wasting good coolant, but it is your money.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class