1997 E320 Door Control Module location. Or is it relays? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: '84 380SL & '97 E320
1997 E320 Door Control Module location. Or is it relays?

Following an extensive search on this forum I failed to find an answer to where might a driver's DCM for my '97 E320 be located. It is not behind the door panel as some have suggested. My door window will roll down only once, just after I start the car. After that, I can roll it up but it will fail to roll down again. I replaced the lower center console switches assembly about two years ago, after which the problem went away, but is now back. I know it is not the motor, because it will operate in either direction if I take apart the motor connector and swap places the heavy gauge wires. I can also hear a click, as if it was a relay somewhere trying to work when I hit the window down button.

Is it possible that my particular model does not have a dedicated DCM and its functions are built into some other unit? Or is it possible the DCM is located elsewhere? I am certain the light gauge wiring coming out of window switches are not directly fed to the window motor, because the two wires going to it are of a much heavier gauge. There are no relays in a battery bay under the rear seat. But I am suspecting there have to be four pairs of relays if there are no DCMs. The question then is where might they be located?

Last edited by dragonflyer; 09-30-2012 at 10:50 PM.
dragonflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 99 E320
Lifetime Premium Member
for some reason, way back in the recesses of my mind, I am thinking that the
DCM is inside the driver side of the dash but I am unable to come up with anything
in my notes or find a thread to confirm this

update: got closer, but not good enough

Last edited by raymond-; 09-30-2012 at 07:55 PM.
raymond- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Thank you raymond-, this does help as far as knowing what voltages to look for when troubleshooting W210's CAN-B network. This is also a great lesson for a novice like myself to get started with Carsoft 7.4 that should be arriving shortly.
I shall also pull the underdash panel tomorrow & try to locate the DCM there.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

No luck finding DCM under the driver's side dash or the left foot panel to the left of foot brake. Carsoft arriving tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

There is no DCM

Stumbled onto a Russian site with diagrams and found my car, the 1997 E320, does not have DCMs to control windows. Instead, the function of controlling all four windows is performed by a single Combination Control Module, or N10-1 module, located in the module bay on the passenger side under the hood. In my car it is the last module closest to the firewall. And the Green & Black wires running out of it to the drivers side window are assigned to pins 13 & 12 respectively. Sure enough, as soon as I learned that, my window stopped acting up and now works fine, without me having done a thing to it. I am suspecting a fault somewhere in the CAN bus as raymond- has previously suggested.

Received my Carsoft 7.4 yesterday. Installed it. Went out to the car & hooked up the 38-pin connector under the hood and the program says it is not reading any of my modules or they are not installed. I can get the live engine parameters info but no diagnostic report yet. Trying to re-install the program now.

Last edited by dragonflyer; 10-05-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320(178K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(156K Miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyer View Post
Received my Carsoft 7.4 yesterday. Installed it. Went out to the car & hooked up the 38-pin connector under the hood and the program says it is not reading any of my modules or they are not installed. I can get the live engine parameters info but no diagnostic report yet. Trying to re-install the program now.
If you cannot see the other modules, it normally means that you don't have the multiplexor version. Quite a common scam by sellers to sell a non-multiplexor version as a multiplexed version, since the black interface box looks the same for both models.

Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Honest politicians are like UFOs. Most people believe that there must be some out there somewhere, but nobody has yet been able to prove their existence.
Kobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Yes Kobus, I am reading through the posts on this very issue. I bought this unit just so I could clear transmission codes after I replace the conductor plate and now realize that all I can use it for is to measure the tranny temperature at best. The multiplexer is around $100 which is still more expensive then the $70 my indie charges me to clear the tranny.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320(178K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(156K Miles)
Check in the R170 forum stickies on how to use a paperclip to get the same functionality as a multiplexor. IIRC it was posted by Bazzle.
Kobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Thanks Kobus,
Essentially this is exactly what I did earlier today. I removed the backshell of Carsoft's 38-pin plug and found three wires in there. Two of them, connected to pins 1 & 3 are obviously power wires. The third wire was connected to pin 4. I removed it from pin 4 and soldered it onto pin 10 nearby. Went out to test and received a communication error. The noteworthy item is the two LEDs on the generic box. One red & one greed. As soon as I would connect the 38-pin cable to that box, even if my key was not in the ignition, both LEDs would light up. Now, after swapping pin 4 for pin 10, only red LED illuminated until I actually turned the key to ignition position. And, regardless of what position the ignition key was in, I would still get a communication error.

Going to try again tomorrow using the 3-lead banana cable.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

I can read & erace transmission module using generic Carsoft box!

Tried the banana paperclip trick today and again got a communication error. Went back to the 38-pin connector & removed its backshell. This time, I had a convenience of a flat circular flange to apply my down force to ensure the plug was all the way seated in the receptacle and voila - got the tranny results. I guess the issue here is insuring sufficient contact. Inserting a heavy duty paper clip into the #10 was not enough. Care must me taken to ensure there is a good electrical contact or you are going to get a com error. I was able to clear the codes and read live data. Great bargain for $44 including delivery!

My tranny codes were:

104 R/P lock solenoid valve defective

116 Starter closing contact (ASK) without Function / Gear box oil temperature sensor: defective

147 Gang not plausible or Gear box slipping

And my question now is: is this something that new conductor plate and connector will fix? Or should I focus on other components?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class