Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Engine serial number, where to look.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  pvel 
#1 ·
I am trying to help a friend order and replace his failed CPS for a 1999 E320 sedan. There are 2 kinds of CPS depending on the engine serial number. I have done a search on this forum and also on the back of the engine block(which is very hard to look into). Still can't find the number. Would appreciate any help, especially if anyone has a picture of the block, showing the number. Wish it was more accessible. Thanks.

#3 ·
The single BEST thing to do is unplug his CPS and see if it is one or two clips. The ESN is not always accurate, but counting the clips is foolproof. ;)

Good luck.

#5 ·
Nope.

Some are based on the ESN, like the CPS, and the chassis number is irrelevant.

The ESN on the modular engines is stamped on the deck behind the head on bank 2...curiously close to the CPS.

Pvel, if you really want to order it based on the engine number instead of the clip count, remove the engine cover and take some pictures of the area, then you can blow them up on the PC. That is lots easier than trying to read it stamped on the deck.

Of course, in the time it takes you to do that you could unplug it, count the clips and order it.

Twice.

:D

#6 ·
KMani1: I put the VIN in the box on the website. It does not lead to the serial number of my engine. Instead it shows parts diagrams for various models. Am I doing it wrong?
Check Codes: I will have to pull the connector and count the clips. I just wanted to be able to look up the number as well. So far no luck.
Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.