Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

[E430] How do you remove the gauge cluster needles?

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  EMatic430 
#1 ·
How do you remove the gauge needles off of the gauge cluster in a w210??

#3 ·
He does not need to turn them, simply pull and it takes quite some pressure to get them off.

#5 ·
Putting them back on and having them function correctly is a different story. When I put mine back on, the needles did not work correctly. Some of them just dropped down to the 6 o'clock direction.
When you carefully put them back on, you have to rotate them in each direction carefully until you feel some resistance and then you stop rotating them at the highest or lowest point that you want the needle to stop. For example, carefully push on the speedo needle and then rotate it clockwise until you feel resistance and then stop at the 120 mph (or whatever is highest) mark. then rotate the needle counterclockwise until you feel resistance and stop at the 0 mph mark. Do the same with the fuel gauge. Rotate to F full and then to E empty.
Maybe that will save you some aggravation.
Anyone please add to or modify what I typed in case I made an error.

#6 ·
Perfect:thumbsup:

#8 ·
hey EMatic ... i just completed replacing my ribbon cables (which i purchased from pixelfix, with complete instructions) ... didn't take long, but need to be careful, diligent and patient ... all is good now, both left and right lcd's work perfectly ... it's freakin' 104F here!

as for the needle issue ... to remove them easily, ditto Cancer Researcher, i turned them counter clockwise til they stopped and then a tad more and pulled up on them at them same time .... the turn and pulling helps a lot, instead of just pulling.

to replace them and have them read correctly, ditto Allikanbe, you will need to recalibrate them, but only to the lowest reading position ... just turn them to min/max where you feel resistance, and then some more until you get it to line it up with the zero (i.e. lowest reading) ... don't need to calibrate highest reading, besides you can't!

one note to remember ... when you replace the needles, you'll be pushing them down until they pop into place, however, you'll notice that they may not turn as freely! therefore, they will not function properly because they are rubbing against the gauge face ... you will need to pull on them gently and just enough to create a gap between the needle and gauge face to stop the rubbing ... test this buy rotating the needle min to max and make sure there is no resistance before you put the shell back on.

good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.