1999 E320 Power Window Issue - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4Matic Sedan
1999 E320 Power Window Issue

Hey everyone.

I recently bought this car from a dealer that is a bit of a distance away. My dad actually helped me with this and test drove it etc as I did not now what to look for in a used MB.

I noticed yesterday that the driver, and left rear passenger windows do not work however the other other windows do. The seat adjustment etc also works fine on that side, it just seems to be those two windows.

Before I drove to the nearest city I wanted to see if I could fix it myself. I don't have an owners manual as I bought the car used. I was wondering if anyone had the fuse locations and fuse diagrams for this particular year?

Thanks
TeflonVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1992 500 SEL, 1996 E320, 1997 S500, 1998 E320 4MATIC,
The main fuse box is located under the hood on the driver's side at the firewall end, easily accessible from the side. There should be a legend and spare fuses inside the box. Note that you may have to resynchronize the windows. I think this is done by operating the window in the closed direction and holding the switch in the closed direction for a couple of seconds after the window reaches the full closed position. This must be done to tell the computer where closed is in order for the automatic function to work.
greyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyride View Post
The main fuse box is located under the hood on the driver's side at the firewall end, easily accessible from the side. There should be a legend and spare fuses inside the box. Note that you may have to resynchronize the windows. I think this is done by operating the window in the closed direction and holding the switch in the closed direction for a couple of seconds after the window reaches the full closed position. This must be done to tell the computer where closed is in order for the automatic function to work.
Thank so much! I was about to ask where the other one was. The rear fuse box under the seat is only for the passenger side windows. Luckily there was a legend so hopefully there is one in the main one as well. Thanks again!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 101,000+
Lifetime Premium Member
FYI: There is a 3rd fuse "array" behind a door in the driver's side dashboard but I don't think there are any window fuses there. Try the suggested re-sync procedure on the non-working windows. Once you do that in the closed position, repeat those steps when you get the windows open. At least I'm pretty sure you have to do that in both directions.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
FYI: There is a 3rd fuse "array" behind a door in the driver's side dashboard but I don't think there are any window fuses there. Try the suggested re-sync procedure on the non-working windows. Once you do that in the closed position, repeat those steps when you get the windows open. At least I'm pretty sure you have to do that in both directions.
Thank you, I had no idea there were three arrays. Also, tried to resynch but the windows won't roll down at all

Unfortunately it isn't a fuse problem as I switched out what I though was a faulty fuse with one I knew worked and it still worked fine. I'm not that technical so I don't know the proper name for it, but where the window switches are located, the only switches not working is the drivers side and rear passenger windows switch.

Any ideas?
Old 01-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320(175K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(156K Miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeflonVixen View Post
the only switches not working is the drivers side and rear passenger windows switch.

Any ideas?
Do you mean the driver window or the driver side REAR window, in other words both rear windows?
If both rear windows will not go down using the switches on the rear doors, then the child lock on the center console may be engaged. It still allows the rear windows to be rolled down from the center console, but not from the rear doors.
Of course, the window regulators on one or both of the rear windows may have broken and the windows were propped up in the closed position. Check the stickies, there is a lot of information on the rear window regulators.

Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Honest politicians are like UFOs. Most people believe that there must be some out there somewhere, but nobody has yet been able to prove their existence.
Kobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus View Post
Do you mean the driver window or the driver side REAR window, in other words both rear windows?
If both rear windows will not go down using the switches on the rear doors, then the child lock on the center console may be engaged. It still allows the rear windows to be rolled down from the center console, but not from the rear doors.
Of course, the window regulators on one or both of the rear windows may have broken and the windows were propped up in the closed position. Check the stickies, there is a lot of information on the rear window regulators.
I meant the windows on the drivers side of the car. Both the front and rear. The passenger side windows, front and rear, both work fine. Everything on the center console works fine except for the left side buttons. When I press the buttons there is no sound and no movement.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

And what happens if you use the switch on the rear door?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus View Post
And what happens if you use the switch on the rear door?
Nothing on the drivers, side. The passenger side works fine. Something I did notice while I was checking though. The drivers side window clicks like the passenger side front and rear windows when I try to resynch but does not move. However the rear driver side window doesn't make a sound. Not sure what it means, but I'd love to at least fix my front drivers side window.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Sounds like the driver side is getting power. Can't see any option for you but to open the doors.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class