BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1998 E320 wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
spilled coke on shifter console,first gear only

Hey Benz brothers and sisters, I read up on this and it's effects and the DIY into the shifter module on this forum and attempted to fix my debacle myself.

My shock at watching the coke fall over my console was eclipsed when the car wouldn't go past first gear and then tripled when the dealer (who happened to be right across the street when this happened) told me that it was a $942.72 repair. I kept saying "You realize it was just a coke...I didn't hit anything" and he smiled and said "we get this all the time."
I nursed it home at 20mph and read up from all the guys who did this before me (thank you!) and dove in.

What I wanted to report was that I took out the shifter module (part #140-260-4598 , $580 at dealer , $475 on line and found one used for $150) and since I was going to have to replace this whole unit anyway I took it apart. It was pretty easy, I mean Benz really does build stuff so it can be worked on. Inside there was a single module (part#210 545 13 32) that has two plugs in it and that was it. The rest of it was the gear shift mechanism, all mechanical parts and of course the coke didn't hurt them so logic says this one part is the problem. I took the module apart and it's a circuit board which I cleaned with alcohol and put back together, then reinstalled in the shifter case and put in the car and took for a test ride, but, still stuck in first gear.

I ordered the used (part#210 545 13 32) for $50 and installed that and it still had only first gear. So, defeated, I took it to my local MB mechanic and he put it on the computer and pronounced the new/used part no good. He told me to just buy the entire shifter module and install it, not to try to replace just the inner module. Then he said "after you get that part in, bring it back and I'll program it for you." It has to be programmed? Hmmm...

So I drove away and I was thinking about how to return the used part and get them to credit me against the bigger part and... uhh, I was doing 50mph and the car was back to normal. Shifting just fine.

He must have reset the code that was interfering with the inner module working. I then remembered someone on this forum saying "be sure you do the poor mans reset and remove the neg terminal" which I didn't do. It makes me wonder if my original part cleaned up might have worked if I had done a reset.

I'm not going to switch out the parts to check mind you, but I post this saying this somewhat common mistake doesn't have to be a $1000 repair. I found a used part for $50 and fixed it, but the new part is $90. The taking out of the shifter is really a 15 min job and the splitting of the shifter module case is also just a bit of tinkering...this is doable for anyone with a bit of patience.

$100 and a poor mans reset and you can stop scolding yourself for not replacing the cup holder.

By the way does anyone have an unused cupholder? I'd really like to avoid this repair again so it's no beverages until I get a cup holder, and who doesn't want a drink while they drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
You got super lucky this time.

Top five reasons I posted in your topic:

1. You're talking about god, there has never been any god of any kind. EVER!

2. I just have a general dislike of you.

3. I am trying to tell you how to fix your Mercedes and you are not listening.

4. I'm flirting with Jody.

5. You're just to dumb to own a Mercedes, and should go buy a Honda.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:18 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1998 E320 wagon
(Thread Starter)
super lucky this time, why? Is there something else that would break as a result of a spilled coke on the console?
#4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFlanagan View Post
super lucky this time, why? Is there something else that would break as a result of a spilled coke on the console?
If you really want to know how far you could have gone down that rabbit hole, I will tell you. But it might take awhile for you to read it all.

From thinking you have to change the entire transmission, to finally getting so tired of trying to get it fixed, you just sell it.

Try not to drink in your car again.

You got lucky, this time.

Top five reasons I posted in your topic:

1. You're talking about god, there has never been any god of any kind. EVER!

2. I just have a general dislike of you.

3. I am trying to tell you how to fix your Mercedes and you are not listening.

4. I'm flirting with Jody.

5. You're just to dumb to own a Mercedes, and should go buy a Honda.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1997 E320/232k, 1990 Volvo 740GL/262k
I have a $1.50 cup holder from Daiso that clips to the vent by the drivers door.
I put the cups there - and when we use the cent console cup holder (only on road trips), we have a towel covering the dainty shifter. There is another member that put on a manual shifter boot, else +1 on not drinking in the car.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 104,000+
Lifetime Premium Member
Sure, just read the dozens of threads on here about that. You were lucky because you managed to fix it, congratulations on your discovery and thanks for sharing. For everyone who managed to dry theirs out, I'll bet there are 5 who had to buy another shift module.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
#7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 03:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320(178K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(156K Miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFlanagan View Post
He must have reset the code that was interfering with the inner module working. I then remembered someone on this forum saying "be sure you do the poor mans reset and remove the neg terminal" which I didn't do. It makes me wonder if my original part cleaned up might have worked if I had done a reset.
The mechanic probably cleared the transmission code when he checked it. Removing the battery will NOT reset the transmission code that forces 'limp mode', only the STAR system or Carsoft will do it. And yes, the original part may have worked once you cleaned it and had the code cleared.

Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Honest politicians are like UFOs. Most people believe that there must be some out there somewhere, but nobody has yet been able to prove their existence.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2000 E320 Wagon
Coffee with cream was my spill

I spill coffee without sugar into my 2000 E320 Wagon shifter.
Sprayed it well with CRC Electronic Cleaner. Let it set for 3 days, then
had mechanic with computer reset the computer. Immediate success.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 500E, E420, 190E
don't drink and drive. you might spill your drink..

had to say it.

Redwood

E320 3.2 W211
E420 4.2 W210
500E 5.0 W124
190E 2.3 W201
#10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 99 E320
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
occasionally, i may use an

. spring loaded and very secure closure.
got from costco for about $20/pair. release trigger and it's locked up tight. can
even drink upside down.

blah blah...all that to say that I don't even use the cup holder. i put it between
my legs. if i am not confident that i can hold it there w/o spilling, then I have
no business propping up the mug anywhere else in the car, much less the cup
holder above the console achilles heel

no spills in 7 yrs (knock knock)

raymond-
47º34'N 122º18'W

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class