ABS/BAS/ESP Lights Coming On - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2000 E320 Sedan
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 9
ABS/BAS/ESP Lights Coming On

Hello,
I've ran into a problem with my 2000 E320, whenever I start the car the ABS/BAS/ESP errors are all off, but as soon as I apply the brakes they all suddenly come on. Can anyone offer some insight into this? If it makes a difference, very occasionally these lights will not come on at all for my entire drive (I would say about 98% of the time the lights come on, but as I said, very rarely I will drive all day and they won't show up).

I've done a little research and I've heard that the ABS being the only problem can also trigger these other errors, don't know if there is any truth to this.
AdamStir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sith Lord
 
elbeik's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 500E 95 SL320 14 GLK350
Location: Beirut / Jeddah
Posts: 10,626
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via Skype™ to elbeik
Answer more likely to be residing in the W210 section.
elbeik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
KMani1's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2001 C320 W203 Black on Black. 1997 E320 W210 Silver (RIP). 1995 E320 W124 Pearl Black.
Location: 92555
Posts: 591
It's in the stickies, here the link.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...lly-fixed.html
__________________
RIP.
KMani1
KMani1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite
 
Check Codes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Location: John 15:18-19
Posts: 27,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamStir View Post
Hello,
I've ran into a problem with my 2000 E320, whenever I start the car the ABS/BAS/ESP errors are all off, but as soon as I apply the brakes they all suddenly come on. Can anyone offer some insight into this? If it makes a difference, very occasionally these lights will not come on at all for my entire drive (I would say about 98% of the time the lights come on, but as I said, very rarely I will drive all day and they won't show up).

I've done a little research and I've heard that the ABS being the only problem can also trigger these other errors, don't know if there is any truth to this.
I'm curious what research you did. This is a classic issue with MB cars of this generation, not just the W210. Replace the brake light switch, source it from the dealer to assure quality (the aftermarket ones seem to be quite troublesome and it's not very expensive, around $25) and you should be good to go.

You do want to fix it though. When those lights are on, the systems they represent are disabled, which makes it more likely that you may skid in an emergency situation.

Good luck.
__________________
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. (Winston Churchill)
Check Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2000 E320 Sedan
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check Codes View Post
I'm curious what research you did. This is a classic issue with MB cars of this generation, not just the W210. Replace the brake light switch, source it from the dealer to assure quality (the aftermarket ones seem to be quite troublesome and it's not very expensive, around $25) and you should be good to go.

You do want to fix it though. When those lights are on, the systems they represent are disabled, which makes it more likely that you may skid in an emergency situation.

Good luck.
I've just heard it from people now and again when I've talked about this issue. I've had the problem for some time so I've asked around a bit. How sure are you that this is absolutely what is causing it? I certainly agree as the issue is FOR SURE centering around the brakes. I can idle for ages and the lights do not come on until the brakes are pressed. Thanks for the help.
AdamStir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
Location: NW Arkansas, La Jolla CA, Hong Kong
Posts: 5,963
As a $20 dealer part and 20 minutes for the install using the stickies for instruction - why the hesitation ?
fabbrisd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite
 
Check Codes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Location: John 15:18-19
Posts: 27,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamStir View Post
I've just heard it from people now and again when I've talked about this issue. I've had the problem for some time so I've asked around a bit. How sure are you that this is absolutely what is causing it? I certainly agree as the issue is FOR SURE centering around the brakes. I can idle for ages and the lights do not come on until the brakes are pressed. Thanks for the help.
Absolutely. In fact, if I'm wrong, I'll refund the money you paid me for my advice.

****

Okay, let's be serious.

Of course I can't promise you that, and no one here can, at least if they are honest and not a know-it-all turd.

But here is what I do know.

1. 95% of the time, what you have described is the brake light switch. To be clear, it has nothing to do with the brakes themselves (your suspicion), just the switch that trips when you step on the brake pedal.

2. You've lived with this got a while, which means you've been driving the safety equivalent of a 1985 Chevy Celebrity. In the event of an accident that could leave the door open for additional liability on your part.

3. If #2 concerns you, and well it should, this should be your highest priority.

4. A new brake light switch will cost you $22-30 at the dealer (depending on their greed) and 30-60 minutes of your time (depending on your ability) with ordinary tools.

5. Your only other alternative is to continue to ignore it or go pay perhaps several hundred dollars for a system diagnostic...and probably end up with a new brake light switch.

6. You came here seeking advice -- free advice -- from people who at least have some history and knowledge with these cars. If your intent was to simply challenge those who offered advice...well, that usually has a rather chilling effect.

7. If I owned your car, the first thing I'd have done as soon as I had time after those lights popped on would have been to open the trunk and get the brake light switch and replace it. (Yes, they are unreliable enough that I carry one, just waiting for that shoe to drop.)

Ummmm...Good luck.
Check Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran
 
Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: '03 Z4, '02 E55, '11 ML350
Location: Covington, WA
Posts: 708
Check,

You were more than gracious with your answer to this guy.

I can't think of a more common, easily diagnosed, inexpensive to repair problem than the old brake light switch issue.

A good example of what a simple search would have pulled up.

Adam, try the fix. It's really very simple.

Cheers !!

Mike K.
Mike K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: w211 (E280), 2008
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 47
I had exactly the same problem, most probably it's the break switch. For me it was a faulty speed sensor and a Chinese rear tire component that didn't have a proper sensor
baddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 2012 E350 :-) 2002 E320 (sold)
Posts: 427
Same problem with my 2002 E320. new switch for about $30 at the dealer and DIY and problem gone.
ALLIKANBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
ABS and ETS lights coming on and off lodfill W202 C-Class 3 07-02-2011 06:30 PM
Hazard lights intermittently coming on? derin100 W168 A-Class 0 10-11-2009 08:48 AM
Dash lights coming on 240DieselPower W123 E,CE,D,CD,TD,TE Class 5 07-20-2007 10:02 PM
ABS & ASR lights coming on intermittantly. help? Dave_SL60_AMG R129 SL Class 4 03-26-2006 12:18 PM
Has anyone else had any problems with any warning lights coming on? Ernest - Orange Coun R170 SLK Class 2 02-25-2001 05:06 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:12 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.