Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Is this offer unreasonable???

689 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  yeldogt 
#1 ·
I've been looking at a 2003 E320 4matic wagon.It has 205,000 miles and is really clean and in nice shape. It has some rust over the rear wheel wells. Runs well, but has the passenger seat air bag thing going on. Also, when coming to a stop and downshifting to first there is a slight clunk in the driveline. Not bad, but it is there. Reading on this site I see this problem diagnosed as anything from a fluid change to a transfer case rebuild. I know this is high miles, but this is for my wife to drive around town about 5 or 6000miles a year. I'm capable of doing most minor repairs. I've offered $3500, figuring $500 -$1000 for rust repair, $300-$600 for the air bag sensor, seat grid. And anywhere from a few hundred to $3000 for the driveline clunk.This was soundly refused...???? Am I being unrealistic??

#4 ·
is this offer unreasonable?

Thanks, I know most would shy away from a car with so many miles, but somebody needs to buy them. I want to keep my cost down and I need the all wheel drive for winters.The problem is KBB lists this vehicle still at $8000 plus. And when it seems like jeeps in worse shape go for more money, I'd be glad to pay a reasonable price. I'm glad to know that my offer was not unrealistic. I'm looking at others all the time though. Thanks again...

#6 · (Edited)
keep looking?

I would keep looking. I think you can do better.
My suggestion is, if you really want to keep the budget that low, look for an older car in years, with lower miles. Age is usually the primary factor on price.
Look for something like a late year W124, and you would be better off, i think.
Not necssarily a 4Matic. Maybe you can find one with traction control if you are patient.
Also -- If you are in a snow-belt area, W210s are more prone to rust than W124 or some other models.
Or look for something other than a Benz, if you can stand the thought of it. Plenty of other cars with front wheel drive or AWD that are fine in snow, and a lot more reliable and cheaper to maintain than an aging Benz....
Subarus are excellent, e.g., but might not be common in your area, cannot tell where you are.
Then again, if you really like this wagon and want to pursue it, you need more information. Get a thorough PPI and an assessment of what it really needs. Sounds to me like you are guessing a lot more than you should be.
Oh, and one more thought -- there really should be plenty of 2002 W210s with much lower milesage than that. So again, i would look longer and trry to find one with lower miles, better condition. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.