Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W210 ('00) E430 Transmission Rear Seal

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  G-AMG 
#1 ·
So we have a small leak on our '00 E430's rear transmission seal. Bought the seal, took the drive shaft off and found out the nut holding the yoke on the end of the trans is some funky size or the like. May have to hit a Snap-On truck when I see one next. Anyone know the right size socket for that nut and torques specs? Any tips would be appreciated.

I guess I need to get a service manual to make sure we do it right. Didn't find any how to's on this job.

Also anyone know about a part number for the transmission dip stick so I can replace the dummy cap? Need to make sure it's topped off when we get the new seal back in. Dealer wants 2.5 hrs to do the seal job when it took us less than a hour to get to the nut and then put it back together and regroup for our next attempt once I have better details on what it takes.

Thanks

#2 ·
If I have a chance I'll load up the WIS later and see if there are specs about the nut. Is it a spline? MB is fond of those stupid things. I know the torque will be there. I would not be surprised if you call MB service the SA would be willing to ask one of the techs and tell you. That said, Sears is touting their new "universal" sockets, which are supposed to work with hex, spline, e-torx, etc. I bought a set when they were on sale, but haven't even opened them.

As to your other question, there is no dipstick. There is a longish tool that is used to set the level, then it is removed and the cap and a new locking pin are fitted. You can make one, or you can buy one from ebay or by pm'ing ohlord.

Good luck.

#3 ·
The WIS describes it as a "twelve point collar nut" so it could be a spline nut.

The torque is 200NM. :D

I'll try to convert the WIS pages to something I can post for you tomorrow, otherwise I'll pm you for your email address and send you an xps file (can't post that here) and you can use an xps viewer to see it. If you're running Win7 you should have one already.

#4 ·
Here's a link to a site selling the socket for the nut. I can't tell if it's special or not, when I went back through the WIS I saw the part number for it and google turned this up.
126 589 0209 00: SOCKET WRENCH for Mercedes

Attached is the PDF. Hope it all helps.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
The 126 589 02 09 00 does not look all that "special".

According to the Special tool database ( Session abgelaufen then click on "Details"), it looks like a 30mm 12 point socket. It just happens to be 3/4" drive.

Hmmm, that didn't work... it won't copy the exact page.

Anyway, if you click the link above, then click on the top "Open Search" , type in the tool number, then click on the "Search" button. Then "Details".

#6 ·
Thanks for the details, G.

3/4" drive.

Given the torque I guess that makes sense. I used a 3/4" drive once in my life when I changed the struts in the front of my old Z-28. I think the nuts were around 1-1/2" and I don't recall the torque. I do recall that the 3/4" ratchet was one of the heaviest tools I ever picked up. Which was handy, because the weight of it helped loosen the bolts. :D

The side benefit is that it's the same tool for the differential pinion nut, and used on other years and models (not just this generation) so he can rent it out for people that need to replace the leaking pinion seal. ;)

#8 ·
True, but I was thinking more of the torque wrench. Most of us "commoners" use either a clicker or a beam-type (pretty rare nowadays) and particularly for the clicker type, they are more accurate under the fat part of the bell curve that covers their range. Of course at 200Nm I can't imagine a little variance being that big a deal.

#9 ·
Most of us "commoners" use either a clicker or a beam-type (pretty rare nowadays) and particularly for the clicker type, they are more accurate under the fat part of the bell curve that covers their range. Of course at 200Nm I can't imagine a little variance being that big a deal.
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to infuse any Regal Tool Snobery... I was just thinking out loud in terms of MAXIMUM Capability of a 1/2" drive system. I happened to remember the one limit on the ratchet as 600 Nm.

I have a Torque wrench, which is 1/2" drive, click-type, and it goes up to 400Nm so I know the 1/2" is at least safe in that range...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.