Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Looking to buy '99 E300TD

880 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  rain///man 
#1 ·
Hello.

Like the title says, I'm looking to buy a 300TD. Any advise on the car is much appreciated, maintenance, issues, things to watch out for ... etc.

Car has 87K miles and seller wants 13K for it.

Thanks!!

#2 ·
That is

well beyond top top dollar for a 99D.
You could use the several thousand dollar saved and purchase a low mile later year E55 and still be ahead.
Shop around I am sure you can do much better.
As always Inspect,inspect,inspect:thumbsup:
Don't be planning on burning Bio,without converting several items.
Enjoy:thumbsup:

#3 ·
It is way, way more than I paid for my 8 years old (at the time) E300DT. But I got double the mileage as well.
Great cars with even greater engines, but you already know that? The only things that age at about 10 years old mark are fuel tubings and delivery valves orings.
The first are semi-easy DIY and well covered in this section. The second is more complicated and can cost you 4 figures at the shop. Check the records if the orings were done and check the injection pump area for leaks.

#4 ·
You will love the car. Relatively trouble free.They are very easy to work on and you don't have all the wining gasser spark issues.

The things I would ask are----when if ever were the glow plugs changed; when if ever have the low pressure fuel lines been changed and lastly; any service records for the transmission.

Additionally you can take the VIN to a dealer and he will be able to search the service/recall record for the vehicle.

Regarding pricing, used cars are more valuable today, but I would still want to know how the national companies "value the car"-----Good luck!!

#5 ·
This is very dear...
Look at the rust, the front sping perch rot and fell off.
make sure you got 2 keys. 200 quid for a replacement.
the glow plugs are important as say plutoe as they might get stuck in the head if they have been there since the car was build.
trouble free, I don't think so... But they are usually easy to work on ;)

#6 ·
Sounds like the seller knows what he has, but asking price is only a starting point and he will probably negotiate. If it has always been an Arizona car rust should not be an issue. I think if it is in pristine condition it's worth a serious look. Don't forget a pre-purchase inspection by a dealer or competent Indy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.