Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

srs system

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  MRBSMITH 
#1 ·
on my 1997 e320 srs malfunction warning light remains continuously on, however very seldom it goes off by itself.

I greatly appreciate Your helping.

#2 ·
Did you notice any condition that triggers the light on? I just got a wagon and in my car, SRS light will go on when there is someone in the passenger seat. From the information I read from previous posts, it probably points to passenger seat sensor malfunction or broken wire somewhere from the passenger seat sensor. Just FYI.

#3 ·
The sad situation, it COULD be the seat sensor or it could 27 other fault codes related to the SRS system. Find the problem----get the car scanned.

Please note the C codes can't be read by the handy dandy OBD scanner, you need MB diagnostics or equal to locate the fault.

#4 ·
Actually, the most common fault of the SRS is failure of the seat sensor, the 2nd most common is a short in the leads to the sensor.

You can SDS all you want, but if you want to work on the problem, best to get under the seat and check the leads first.

Then, for the seat sensor failure the (3) most common fixes are:

1) Remove the SRS bulb from the cluster, which does not solve the problem, but eliminates that warning light. The LED indicator on the tranny console will still show.

2) There is a eBay $80 or so "emulator" which plugs in to eliminate/emulate the seat seansor.

3) The real fix is replacing the seat sensor, you can do a search on that. Buy the sensor and find a competant shop for the seat work.

Keep the faith !

#6 ·
Look for the SRS diy

Most comon is the sensor, we did a diy to replace it, but at the back end of the diy you will find a discussion on fixing the wire that always breaks under the seat.
Look there and try it your self.

Dealer scans unless free are of no use, stay here and away from dealers unless you want dance like prom night. Dealers are for parts only.....

B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.