Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Just bought 1998 E320 with a noisy rear.

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Musikmann 
#1 ·
1998 E320 with 95k miles. Really Clean. as the speed goes over 30 mph a low Drone / Humm starts in the rear and continuse to get a little louder as I go faster. Firm Acceleration to Coasting, doesn't make a difference. Straight or On Ramps, doesn't make a difference. Braking or Coasting doesn't make a difference. The tires are Continental Pro Contact, with about 90% Tread remaining, Sound is coming from the Left Rear.

Question is this, is thier a weak spot in this Drive Line. Wheel Bearings, Axles, the Differential.

Thanks in Advance.

Tom

#2 ·
If it were my car, the first thing i would do is pull the fill plug in the differential just to make sure there's oil in there, just because that's easy and free. Pretty unlikely, but would be expensive if the differential went dry. Guess it would show an oil leak if it had run that low. This is assuming that it just "sounds" like it's coming from the left. If you're sure about that, then forget about my comment.

#3 ·
mdanielson,

Couple of thoughts:

+1 on checking the diff for fluid.

Wheel bearing - check by weaving/loading/unloading to see if the sound varies.

Motor mounts tuckered out? Read up on the symptoms.

Tires - someone else needs to chime in.

Any vibrations?

Noise present at speed and in neutral?

Skippy

#4 ·
NO PPI?

And if so they should have caught it.
Check rear inner tire wear, they may look good and still be worn thin on the inner edge and creating the sound.
Then do all of the above and get it inspected by a pro indie mb shop like it should have been before the horse left the barn with the door closed firmly behind it.;)
"INSPECT,INSPECT,INSPECT"

#8 ·
If it's only the left rear, I would doubt tires. But just swap back to front to totally eliminate the possibility. My car had some cheap Chinese tires on when I got it, and it sounded exactly like a bad diff. Problem fixed when tires were replaced.

But most likely bearing on left rear wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.