Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Replace Transfluid at 118K ?

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Check Codes 
#1 ·
I have E320 and it has 118K miles. I don't think the Transmission fluid has ever been replaced? One mechanic told me not to change it now. Dealer says change it (sees $$) and cost is given app. $350. Shall I get it replaced or not?

#2 ·
1. What color is the locking tab on the dipstick cap? Or is a locking tab present? If the tab is missing or is red, someone has been in it before, perhaps to change the fluid, perhaps not.

2. Even if it has never been changed before, so long as you are not experiencing any problems, were it my car I would change it. I'd use 236.10 fluid and only change what you drain from the pan.

3. $350 is too much. Find a good indie, or an indie transmission shop that specializes in Teutonic engineering.

Good luck.

#3 ·
+1

And keep in mind 118k miles on the highway = 20k miles in town driving, so it becomes an on condition judgement.
If it looks like chocolate syrup I would change it out a little at a time, like Greg said just what you can drain. Then change again in 5000 mi. What you want to avoid is a shock cleaning that leads to clogged passages and new problems.
Now if it is clean (clear red) you should be able to do the full trans service ( drain torque converter on 99 and earlier new filter and new fluid).

#4 ·
The dealer is going to do a pan pull/filter change, which replaces 50% - unfotunately that will replace 50% of the "old" (5-speed) fluid with 50% of the "new" (7/9 speed) fluid, which personally I don't recommend.

If it was me I would order in the 5 speed fluid and filter etc, and find a shop to do the job for you at a better labor price.

Yes - I would get the job done, you are still on the good side.

Keep the beat !

#5 ·
$300 is too high. My local dealership was running a transmission power flush service special for 189.95. At first I was skeptical - I have high mileage and no way of knowing if the fluid was ever changed before (2nd owner), no known trans issues but people have stated that power flushing is a no-no. I took the advise of the service adviser who stated that their power flush is no more taxing to the tranny than normal operation and agreed that I would get all fluid out as opposed to the drain & fill method. End result - no issues, no worries...got her up to 92 mph on the way to work today with no problems at all. Drives like a dream. BTW I have 18 bottles of MB Trans Fluid sitting in the garage because I was originally going to DIY the job. Let me know if you're interested & I'll cut you a good deal...

#6 ·
Pulling the pan will not change 50%. More like 30-40. I did drain the pan 3 times on couple of cars and never collected full 3 liters.
Ask questions, as lot of mechanics don't even bother with pan dropping, just pull the plug and refill 2 liters. Not bad for $300+
That said, bot W210 I did the fluid change had about 200k on them. One fluid look original.

#12 ·
What was the change? Was it softer shifting? When I changed the fluid on 11 years old car with over 200k on it, the fluid at the bottom of the pan was pretty thick with some goo residue. After the change the shifting on cold become softer, but otherwise not a big difference.
I would dispute if thickness was the result of mileage, age, or both?

#17 ·
Under nromal use, at 118K miles your fluid should be just short of burn, and fluid replacement now will give you added assurance your tranny will go out to higher mileage.

That said, the ONLY fluid I would recommend is the original 5-speed fluid, which is available more affordably as the OE maker Fuchs fluid:

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

You can choose a pan-fill/filter 55% exchange, or the full exchange method outlined in the stickies.

Also a good time to change out and update the transmission connector plug with the MB brand plug for like $18 at the dealer, not a China knockoff connector.

Keep the faith !

#18 ·
I did my partial filter/fluid change this weekeend. I captured all fluid from pan/filter then measured it by pouring it back into containers, I got about 2.6 quarts by only draining the pan/removing the filter (I have a late 99 so I do not believe I have the tourque converter drain). I had a black cap so I assume the fluid had been changed in the past (139K showing now). The fluid was dark but the pan was very clean, I bought the measuring dipstick from Ebay and put 3 quarts back into the trans. I plan to drive it for 6months or so and drain pan by the plug and refill possibly several times and see if this dilutes the darker fluid. I did this as preventative maintanance, the trans. shifts well. I also changed out the shifter bushing which cured my annoying shifter rattle (woohoo!). The fluid/filter change went very smoothly, I drove the car up on ramps and remover the plastic cover then drain plug/pan/filter. I probably could have gotten more to drain by leaving the pan off for a longer period of time, but I felt pretty good about what I saw so I change the filter and gasket and closed it up then refilled. Save some money if you can and do it yourself.

Mike

#20 ·
CHANGE it, color of the cap???

I didn't catch the color of the pin on the dip stick plug???
Black is original as has been said, and means CHANGE it now, this trans loves clean MB fluid and will go several hundred thousand miles, 850,000 reported wirh frequent fluid service and CHANGE.
If you are mechanical,use the diy's above and drop the pan and change the filter, as I guess you did. NOW, under the hood, put a hose on the top cooler line, put 5 ltr in the trans, start for 3-5 secs, repeat until the fluid coming out is C-L-E-A-N , use the dip stick to sdjust the level SPOT ON, not over or under full.

After this CHANGE of fluid, regular fluid service will keep you going strong.

rumor in Germany is that this trany, now used in almost all mb's will do 1,000,000 miles WITH CLEAN FLUID.

Thanks Greg

B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.