FUEL ADDITIVES: Good or Bad Idea? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 2000 E430 (base), 77 450SL, 89 420SEL, 97 E420
FUEL ADDITIVES: Good or Bad Idea?

I've tried to search the stickies, and have not seen anything that is about the benefits or lack of when using Techron (I'm told the best) fuel additive in a non-diesel car. My mechanic has mixed feelings, but says that if you do use it, you must continue the routine about 3 times a year. Anybody had any experience with Techron or any other fuel additive? Or if you know of a sticky, this would be just as good as long as it covers the proposed question.
Weegee14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 1996 210.020
This is the first that I have ever heard of a car becoming addicted to Techron or other additives.

If you buy "top-tier" gasoline, it will already contain all the additives that you need. That's how I feel about it (plus a whole lot of other people - I certainly didn't come up with this idea first).

I only use additives for specific purposes, such as stabilizers for the lawn mower, and occasionally some isopropanol-based additives for gas vehicles that sit a lot in the winter.
Matt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Thanks Matt L, I hate addictions too. You mentioned "isopropanol-based additives" for gas vehicles that sit a lot in winter. My car probably falls into this category which is partly what prompted my initial question. Can you recommend a brand for this type of additive, or is this a secret family recipe?
Old 01-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

I used to use HEET when I lived in MN. Further south a bit, I never need the stuff these days. But it does absorb water from the fuel.

I didn't add it to every tank. Only when something was giving me trouble. Fuel starvation when it is very cold can be caused by water freezing in the fuel, and HEET (or equivalent) does help. It will also get you by with an almost bad fuel filter for a few days. Fuel filters plug more frequently in the winter due to waxes and such precipitating from the fuel.

Don't use isopropyl rubbing alcohol - it contains too much water. However, you're probably OK putting straight grain alcohol (like Everclear) into the tank, if you're in a real pinch and the only store close is a liquor store.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Thanks for the tip on HEET. Just read a comparison on the Q.M.I. site and HEET is one of several products they tested against their own. Interesting reading but one must consider the source.
Cheers from a frozen and MN. like state.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: '02 E320 4matic Wagon
Techron has been around a long time. Started using it in the late 80s and it has become the standard in injector cleaners. I would trust it. Never heard that you have to continue to use it, I think that is BS.

HEET comes in 2 flavors. Isopropyl and Methyl alcohol. The bottle colors are different (orange vs yellow I think). I use the methyl based one in cars that will be sitting outdoors in the cold. I read an article years back that the isopropyl ones did not work as well, but cant recall where that was from.

I also use STABIL for any vehicle or gas that sits. I add it to my lawn mower containers before filling up each time and all my classic cars I use it in with each fill up. It will prevent the ethyl alcohol in the fuel now a days from destroying rubber lines and gaskets. One year I had all my 2 cycle lawn equipment fail at the same time (before I used stabil). The rubber diaphragms for the accelerator pumps in the carbs were all destroyed.
wagonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

WagonZ, Just as a point of clarification, do you use the methyl based HEET and the STABIL together, or do they do essentially the same thing? Also, do you do this as a prep for cold weather or on gas that has been standing/unused for a long period of time?
Also, thanks for the info on Techron.
T
Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 1997 S320
no need to use "heet" since all gasoline nowdays has some % of ethanol, especially winter blend. a bottle of techron once a year is probably a good thing.
tirona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Good point, Triona. My experiences with HEET are from before ethanol was added to pretty much all gasoline.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: '02 E320 4matic Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weegee14 View Post
WagonZ, Just as a point of clarification, do you use the methyl based HEET and the STABIL together, or do they do essentially the same thing? Also, do you do this as a prep for cold weather or on gas that has been standing/unused for a long period of time?
Also, thanks for the info on Techron.
T
No. I have one vehicle that sits outdoors, but does not sit for more then 2 weeks or so. This one I use the HEET. Main reason is sometimes the tank is not 100% full and I dont want condensation to collect and cause issues.

For the other vehicles that get driven less often and sit all winter I only use STABIL as their tanks are full just about all the time.
wagonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class