Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: E320 1997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
E320 1997 with Transmission issues

Hi there!

I´m new in this forum and would highly appreciate your help.

I´ve owned my 1997 E320 for the last 5 years and have never experienced any serious problem until now. During the past two weeks I have been experiencing some kind of "jerking" or hard shifting every time the transmission upshifts or downshifts. This is done 80% of the time (sometime it shifts OK without any jerking or impact feeling in the transmission). The mechanic that I user (Mercedes Benz dedicated shop) change transmission and differential fluids about 6 months ago and he already checked the fluid level and is clean and with correct level (no leaks at all). He also checked for any transmission error codes but he did not find anything and according to his computer,the transmission solenoids are operating OK.
The car performs perfectly during regular driving without any gear shifting but any time it upshifts or downshifts you can feel a small to moderate "jerk".
Could anyone let me know any ideas of what could the problem be?

I´d appreciate your ideas.

Thank you very much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1999 E300 TD
Sounds like you have done your best. The difficulty is that your description and what you feel while the car is shifting is very subjective and extremely difficult to start a diagnostic path.

If presented with this situation, I would have loads of questions and would test drive the vehicle to help me narrow down a suspect. That is just not possible.

In any event and with the absence of all that, All I have to offer is to lengthen the shift pattern. How do we do that? We do that by driving and then depressing the kickdown switch which is located in the foot well behind the accelerator. This action will send a message to the transmission control module that will make upshifts and downshifts take place at higher engine speeds------ie, lengthen the shift pattern. Ding How!!
a message to the
#3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:24 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Dear Plutoe:

A few hours ago I performed a procedure to reset the "Transmission behavior" that I found in this forum. This consist in depressing the accelerator pedal while having the ignition switch in the on position (engine off). This seems to have reset the Transmission and ease the problem but it still persist when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear.

I´ll try the procedure you mention, but could you clarify if by depressing the switch you mean accelerating the car until it shifts downward to the next lower gear?
Would appreciate more details about this procedure.

Thank you very much for your input.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: Current - 2002 S430, 1997 E420; 1998 ML320. Deceased - 1974 240D, 1992 400E
Location: An island off the coast of Florida **Use startekinfo.com for official Mercedes technical guidance**
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
A description of the adaptive steps is in the stickies: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...omp-reset.html
#5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
A description of the adaptive steps is in the stickies: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...omp-reset.html
Dear Atmsmshr:

I already performed this procedure and the car improved the shifting between 1st and 2nd gear but the rest of the gears still feel a moderate jerk different than before but the issue still remain.
Thanks for the link.

Klrgator
#6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1997 E320/232k, 1990 Volvo 740GL/262k
What about any springs in the tranny? That is one more thing to consider.. My W210 has a case of the jerks also - checked the valve body and the spring is fine (dang) - so will drive it for now, planning on a rebuild one day..

Working on a Benz is almost like working on other cars.. However, please keep the dirty tools away from the car and don't forget to wear gloves.

If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

!! Over-engineer your safety - especially when working under the car
#7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 04:57 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggster View Post
What about any springs in the tranny? That is one more thing to consider.. My W210 has a case of the jerks also - checked the valve body and the spring is fine (dang) - so will drive it for now, planning on a rebuild one day..
Greggster:

Thanks for the advice. How do you check the springs in the tranny? I assume you may need to open it. Where are these located?

As I mentioned before, the jerking occurs when upshifting or downshifting. This is the same feeling you have in a manual transmission when you release the clutch to fast.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 04:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: Current - 2002 S430, 1997 E420; 1998 ML320. Deceased - 1974 240D, 1992 400E
Location: An island off the coast of Florida **Use startekinfo.com for official Mercedes technical guidance**
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Always start with the easy checks (like adaptive reset) and work your way up the chain of harder and more expensive. Well, this one leaps up the chain pretty quickly.

To check the springs means you have to drop the tranny pan, and lower the valve body. The springs are on the side of the valve body. When doing this, it is a good time to change the filter and electrical connector. What the heck, if you are this far, might evaluate if you want to spend another $190 and replace the conductor plate which sits on top of the valve body and will be fully exposed on this job. (cheap insurance if not already done) May also want to have a spare soleniod valve laying around.

If you are a good mechanic, can keep the job surgically clean, know your way around a torque wrench, and can balance 40 lbs on your elbow, replacing the springs is not impossible.

See link http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...er-needed.html
#9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Always start with the easy checks (like adaptive reset) and work your way up the chain of harder and more expensive. Well, this one leaps up the chain pretty quickly.

To check the springs means you have to drop the tranny pan, and lower the valve body. The springs are on the side of the valve body. When doing this, it is a good time to change the filter and electrical connector. What the heck, if you are this far, might evaluate if you want to spend another $190 and replace the conductor plate which sits on top of the valve body and will be fully exposed on this job. (cheap insurance if not already done) May also want to have a spare soleniod valve laying around.

If you are a good mechanic, can keep the job surgically clean, know your way around a torque wrench, and can balance 40 lbs on your elbow, replacing the springs is not impossible.

See link http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...er-needed.html
Dear Atmsmshr:

I already performed the adaptive reset and this helped only a little bit. Since I´m not an experienced mechanic I took the car to be diagnosed by the dealer last weekend and told me that the tranny is having high pressure inside and that may be some parts are already worn. Since they do not repair single parts, they just offered to change the tranny, torque converter and computer for a little over 8K! This is crazy!
I may take it to a private MB dedicated shop and see what they can find out.

Thank you for the ideas.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1999 E300 TD
You need to go back to the dealer and get a copy of the report that indicated whatever!!!!!

What do they mean high pressure-----you want a copy of the Star diagnostic report that was generated while they were looking for electronic faults.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class