#1 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:45 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question FUEL LEAKING FROM CANISTER SHUTOFF VALVE

01 E320 WAGON, 2 issues maybe related, maybe not. Apparently liquid fuel instead of vapor going into the charcoal canister and then leaking out of the shutoff valve, especially bad in hot weather. I live in the AZ desert so that is alot of the time.
Mechanic stumped, replaced the pressure sensor and shutoff valve. Not fixed, in fact worse. Also car running terrible, hesitating and hiccuping especialy in hot weather( alot)! If I take off the fuel cap it does not leak.

Canister is flooded but now mechanic wants to replace the fuel tank?? expensive too...

PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN.
thanks!
eswaters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
Perhaps the tank breather is blocked? This is why when you open the cap it doesn't leak?
Also check the tank strainer, might have an issue there too?
Olivier
#3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320(178K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(156K Miles)
I assume that you do NOT trickle fill the tank, but stop filling when the pump shuts off??

Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Honest politicians are like UFOs. Most people believe that there must be some out there somewhere, but nobody has yet been able to prove their existence.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
Did you get a CEL, and what codes have you been getting, same codes each time ?

1) Replace the fuel filler cap with a new MB OE, sometimes those gaskets/cap go and are not really rebuldable.

2) If your mechanic replaced the canister and shutoff, and did not replace the Bosch fuel filter - and do NOT use a non-name fuel filter - then he mised a critical step when he should have drained that line to the filter and replaced the filter itself - and possibly wasted your investment.

3) Do not NOT overfill the tank, run a few tanks no less than 1/2 and no more than 7/8.

Keep the beat !
#5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:48 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks!

The only codes were for the pressure sensor and the shutoff valve.

The mechanic did not change the canister or the fuel filter. Only the sender/sensor and the shutoff.

I don't even think he looked at the canister(????) until I took it back second time.

The thing that has us stymied, is how/why is liquid fuel going to the canister instead of vapor.

When it's hot, the gas just trickles out of the shutoff valve, unless the cap is off.

Yesterday disconnected the purge valve because it was sending liquid fuel from the canister into the manifold instead of vapor since the canister is flooded with gas all the time. This was casing the engine to hesitate and stall and hiccup because it is not meant to burn liquid from the purge valve.

CRAZY!! Anymore advice/opinion greatly appreciated. ALSO I don't over fill it.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:50 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
ONE MORE THING < when I go to fill the tank gas pours out of shutoff valve as well. I fill it a little, stop let out the pressure, then fill a little more.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
To try to solve this affordably is the objective. Honestly, a fresh Bosch fuel filter would be the next step (like $40) and for grins a fresh OE gas cap.

Could be the fuel filter is shot, and bleeding back from there to the cannister

Putting the full cannister aside for a second, please see this forum post below on the like $40 fuel filter (oh, and a couple of $ to replace the funky MB hose clamps with the standard screw type), so you hear this from someone other than me:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gene...off-valve.html

On the benefits of a fresh OE gas cap, I choose a fresh cap for like $25 over the $5 gasket:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...n-control.html

I would try these next (2) steps, like $65 or so, then see what happens.. unless there is something I am misinterpreting from your posts.

Keep the faith !

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class