Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Effects of Removing Catalytic Converter

Vehicle: w210 m104 e280 '97
driven distance : 120,000 km

Please advice me
The car suffers from bad response and low performance specially when A/C is on. I'm thinking that Catalytic converter is the problem.
what is the effects of removing catalytic converter from the car ?

please inform if any changes will happen to the engine Temperature after catalytic removal.

Thanks

Last edited by Namgad; 07-05-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 04:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4matic Sport Designo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
well its gonna be loud, its gonna sound pretty bad, it may smell a bit like unburned gasoline and yeah that covers it.

You may see a few degree decrease from proper working cats. If your cats are clogged, you will get better performance and lower temps.

Why not just put in some aftermarket cats like those found in the stickys?
#3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 2000 S210 E320CDI Avantgarde
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
...because he's in the Middle east?

For the avoidance of doubt, when answering posts I am referring to the W210 Mercedes...not the Renault12ts.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:36 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: W210 E280 M104.945 , 1997
(Thread Starter)
Many Thanks for response.

Is it possible to repair Cat or replace internal materials and what is the cost ?

Another issue : Auxailiary fan of cooling system not working at full power when a/c is on.

Full power = 10 mA as appeared on digital display of climate control system when the fan in the test mode.

while in high engine temperature 105 c (max) , the fan has only current of 3.6mA

-Under harsh environment and warm weather the fan should run at high speed to cool the engine.

Please explain the difference in fan power between test mode and normal mode ?

Regards

Last edited by Namgad; 07-06-2010 at 03:43 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:00 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: E200k 2002
If cat gets clogged, the exhaust fumes cannot escape properly leaving a slight back pressure en route. What this means is that there will be heat generated which will degrade not only your 02 sensor that is close to it, you will reduce life span of all parts before cat box and your engine will not be breathing nicely. The cat should be removed and even if you replace with just standard silencer the noise will not be increased that much. Initially it will sound loud, but after 1 month it will soften and no one would be able to tell that you changed it. The performance will be improved by about 10% and petrol consump will reduce by about 7% after removing old cat. If possible get dealer to override 02 sensor so that you dont get the annoying check engine light which may happen if you remove cat and dont put a new one. I overrode mine cos i could not pay $1500 for new cat. I put in $30 box instead. You cant fix old cats.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 1997 S320
i would eliminate other causes first like dirty air filter, clogged fuel filter, dirty maf sensor, bad plugs etc. before replacing the cat. a bad cat should give you an error code. to test the auxillary fans hold both "AUTO" buttons on digital climate control for 10 seconds, that should start them at full power, if they don't stay on then motor is bad. to shutt them off hold again both "AUTO" buttons for 10 seconds.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

take mallet and tap cat and listen for sediment. Do this with all boxes while you at it. More sediment, more useless. Also use thermometer and measure heat before cat and then about 30cm after. Bad cat box will give high temp diff between inflow and outflow. Bad cat may not always show up as error on computer. The 02 sensor dont really work that well at the best of times so i would not count on it as a reliable error result
#8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 05:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
So, you all are saying the internal crap cannot be knocked through with a hammer and a bar?
I used to do that on old Chevy's , and am not suggesting it, but if it saves "Big $$$'s " I certainly am not opposed to it, especially if it gives increased mileage/performance as xman suggests (which to me is more advantage to this world than having the cat restriction...less fuel burned, less pollutants). Here we emission test, so it's not an option unless the car is a 95 or older.

aardvark
#9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 08:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Om operating tempuratures in Dubai, please note its hard to find the correct MB coolant, and most shops use hose water, some even use "phony" distilled water which is hose water in gallon plastic jugs, and Dubai hose water even with correct coolant causes corrosion problems. That's why corrosion causes so many thermostat replacements and radiator replacements are commonplace in Dubai.

On the aux fans, even correct aux fan operation will not overcome a partially corroded Dubai radiator core.

If your cats were bad, you would feel it all the time, not just at higher engine temps.

If it was me, I would pull the thermostat as visual check for corrosion in the system, if it looks corroded then assume you have a partial blockage of the radiator (actually a new thermostat and new radiator is "not so bad" price in Dubai), flush the cooling system, replace with correct MB coolant or Vavoline Xerez G-05 and your own store bought sealed distilled water, and add either Redline Water Wetter or Royal Purple Purple Ice coolant additive.

Aux fans primarily are to add air flow over the aircon condensor to help push that heat thru the radiator better, but nothing overcomes a Dubai partially clogged radiator really.
#10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

aardvark i think some cats have baffle plates which dont allow for that. Also the inlet and outlets are not in line and are offset a bit. On large exhausts i see your point. In this case one would need to remove the cat and then only attempt to work on it. When i did mine, the exhaust (not cat just std) cost about $10, but the labour was the other $20.
People are not aware that dirty exhausts account for as much as 30% power loss in cars. Also, the challenge of the cat design is to reduce emission with as little reduction in power as possible. It is a compromise so even a clean cat reduces output power a bit.
fabbrisd1, is it not possible to get any glycol based coolant in Dubai? Sounds like an investment opportunity to me. I would not worry about getting MB type, as long as there is glycol and some rust inhibitors its ok. There are large manufacturing plants in middle east. These machines also need coolants and i am sure if you went to industrial supplier of heavy machinery you would come right.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class