Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

AMS Headers on sale for W210

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mike430sport 
#1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know I found this over at mbworld.org... Seems like a decent deal, Ill be buying a set for my E320 next month if they still have them.:thumbsup:

"AMS is liquidating its W210 E320 V6 header line and dropping it all together to concentrate on new V8 projects. They are being sold below manf cost simply b/c we need more room to concentrate on our new upcoming product lines. Consider it a great opportunity to get the headers for a super low price. Once these headers are gone, no more will be produced for the E320 headers (and these are the only ones available on the market period). Grab them while supplies last (first come first serve basis, no holding or etc).

The Stage 2 performance package (headers & pulley) is also available to W210 E320 owners as a part of this promotion for under $1000."

AMS Headers Installed!!!!! - MBWorld.org Forums

#2 · (Edited)
12 horsepower for $499? No thanks.

#3 ·
22-25 hp gain with the full kit. And its available all the time through the entire power band.. The torque gains are even stronger. I say its worth it if your looking for a little more power and maintaining reliability... Also, from what the guys who have done them say your gas mileage is noticeably improved.

#4 · (Edited)
On the supercharged V8 AMGs, but the normally aspirated V6 its 12 horsepower according to your own post...

On a general side note:

Why didn't the factory put headers and a lighter flywheel on the cars stock? Are the engineers and scientists who get paid a lot of money to design engines just a bunch of retards to omit these items???

I think not.

The exhaust manifolds on the M112 V6 are specially designed units to retain heat in order to allow the catalytic converters to work faster. Keeping the exhaust hot also has the effect of drawing more cool/fresh air into the engine when valve overlap occurs in the camshaft profile. This is called scavenging.

Headers can very rarely flow MORE gasses on a nearly stock engine compared to the stock manifolds, however they CAN be tuned to resonate at different RPMs to provide somewhat of a supercharging effect at...and only at, that specific RPM. IF you get gains at a portion of the RPM spectrum you will more than likely have a LOSS at a different portion...

The M112 V6 has a extremely flat torque curve. I wouldn't do anything to the engine that would bastardize that.

I drove MANY V6 powered cars (some of which with substantially more cubic capacity in the 3.7 to 4.0 liter range) before I choose to buy my Mercedes, and NONE of them had a stronger pull off the line and throughout the rev range than the Mercedes.

Ok done venting. Carry on. :D

#8 ·
Why didn't the factory put headers and a lighter flywheel on the cars stock? Are the engineers and scientists who get paid a lot of money to design engines just a bunch of retards to omit these items???
He's not selling a lightened flywheel. Too bad, because that might actually help. If you had a flywheel, that is.

He has a CNC machined aluminum pulley, probably made in China. It's just a pulley, for sakes. Just about by definition, you cannot get horsepower from a pulley. You might save horsepower by running your belt slower, but I do not believe that is his claim.

The "butt dyno" is very unreliable. If someone believes the sales pitch enough to shell out the money for that pulley (very overpriced), and then spends the time or money to put it on, he'll also convince himself that his car is faster.

#5 ·
It would have been worthwhile if the HP gains were significant. 10-20 hp gain for so much money is a waste IMO. Now if I saw 50-75 hp gain, I might have considered it but the current horsepower (stock) ~221 is MORE then enough. Its a great balance between hp, performance, and mpgs. Stock rocks! By the time you see a significant horsepower, you still have a v6 worth the exact same. Why not sell the v6 and get a v8?

#7 ·
Headers can be a royal pain in the butt. That's why manufacturers don't normally use them.

If, in general, headers can be a royal pain, I would expect that AMS headers may be a galactic pain. After seeing the claims when he was a seller around here, I would have nothing to do with the company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.