Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Head Gasket, Cracked Head or Engine Block????

9K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  xlimodriver 
#1 ·
Where do I start looking?

Engine overheated last week when the fan belt tensioner broke off. Got everything back together but now have exhaust bubbling up into coolant overflow tank. No sign of leak in engine compartment.
Looks like a major undertaking just to replace the head gasket.

#2 ·
exhaust bubbling up or not enough coolant?

If you fully evacuate the coolant, you should need about 10.5L to refill the cooling system

#3 ·
test

aluminum heads check for warping,not just as simple as r/r hg.
get a compression test set, pump in air,listen with steth.Most good indie shops have the gear and can locate where the damage was done.If you love the car and it had high miles find a low mile engine and swap it in.
sorry to hear of your loss:mad:

#4 ·
Pull a plug from each cylinder and inspect them, then do a compression check while you have them all out. Exhaust in the coolant is more likely to be a head issue, but that will at least tell you if it's more than one cylinder affected.

Cracked block usually yields oil in the coolant.

It's always a major undertaking to replace a head gasket. Luckily there are a LOT of the 104 heads out there if you indeed cracked it. At least you only have one head to pull, right?

If you can do the labor, even if you end up needing a head, it's not a horribly expensive deal. Pull it off and if there is no apparent damage take it to a machine shop familiar with MB to have it inspected. If it's within limits and not cracked, have them do a valve job on it (since you're already there) and then put it back. I'd probably be tempted to replace the timing chain while you're in there, too.

If you can't do the labor, call and find out pricing for a used engine. Labor to have a mechanic tear into the top end and then do all the machining, etc. will probably cost you more than having one swap out a used engine for you.

#5 ·
Thank's for the response guys, but it's time to move on. I've owned it for over 12 years, the longest i've ever kept one in the past 50 years.
The mechanic at the limo company in Toronto has been after me for the past few years wanting to buy my E320 and he's offered me $2000 for it as/is.
I've had my eye on this '85 123 wagon and for another $500 it's mine. It's got just a few thousand kms. more than the 260,000 on the '96 and runs like a top with a way less rust.

#7 ·
That sounds like a good option, too...and lots less work for you! :thumbsup::D

Good luck with it, the 123 wagons are pretty hard to find nowadays. Chad is a big fan of them, he's active here and at BenzObsession. Speaking of rust, he's been helping a friend get one back in shape, there is a running thread here if you're interested: Are you OBSESSED about your Benz? | Keeping Another 123 on the Road

#8 ·
Please forgive if this comes across as "bashing", but I guess I feel compelled to point out one thing for the "younger viewers in the audience" so they don't let themselves go down the path of destruction...

Why in the heck would you (a PROFESSIONAL driver) keep driving a car AFTER you knew the fan-belt was broken???

(per your other post- "..Had to drive about 5-6 kms before I got cell phone reception..")

#9 ·
I think that would all depend on where you were. There are lots of places in the country that you won't last very long if you rely on the kindness of strangers. Measured against your life or other dire consequences, the cost of an engine or car is minuscule. Of course you have to be sure you can get where you can summon assistance before the engine seizes. ;)

#13 ·
Done the deal today, picked up the W123.
As soon as I clay bar the raccoon and bird crap off, i'll post pictures in the W123 section.

Came with a ton of paperwork including a few 25 year old German showroom brochures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.