Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Installing Alpine Sub and Amp in 1997 E420 W210

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  beef1337 
#1 ·
Anybody have any experience in doing this? Any help/instructions would be much appreciated, thanks.

#2 ·
First, I don't know how to add a sub to an OEM HU with Bose amps and speakers.

This is what I did.
This is why. The PAC OEM-2 in the first webpage has line outs that can be used for a sub.

If you have an aftermarket head unit, this may get easier.

If it's an aftermarket HU, is the current remainder of the system Bose, or have the Bose amps and speakers been removed?

If you're using a Bose system with an aftermarket HU, what's the interface between the HU and the Bose amps? If it's a PAC OEM-2, use the line outs. If it's not a PAC-OEM2, you may want to consider buying one. Mine cost $15.

If the amps and speakers are not part of a Bose system, how would this differ from adding a sub in any other car?

#3 ·
Sorry if I wasn't specific enough. I have an Alpine HU (Alpine CDE-9874) amp (Alpine PDX-5) and 2 12" subs (Alpine SWX-1243D). All 3 are currently still in my e32 1990 BMW 750iL that i had professionally installed, the tranny went, now i wanna pop em in my 1997 E420 W210 while leaving in all of the bose stock component speakers in. I guess my main problem is I don't know squat about car audio. I'm still working on getting those out of my bimmer, just hoping I would be able to do the rest of the work myself. thanks.

#4 ·
This should be pretty easy AND inexpensive. :D

If I were in your position, I would buy a PAC OEM-2 (part number 127OEM2), a wiring harness adapter, and a relay. The total cost for all items would be around $35.

The Alpine HU would be connected to the input side of the PAC OEM-2. The output side of the OEM-2 would be connected to the wiring harness adapter. The wiring harness adapter would plug into the factory wiring harness. That allows your factory Bose amps to have a balanced differential signal.

For the Alpine amps and subs, use the PAC OEM-2 line outs as input for the Alpine amp. The PAC OEM-2 has remote turn on wire (blue/white) that can be used to trigger a relay to power the amp.

#5 · (Edited)
there's your answer!..... and welcome....

.... you shoulda waited and registered on 4/20 dude :D then it'd be a hat trick :) is that why you drivin' a 420???

just messin man - you're gonna get great advise and direction here - lots of info.

you know, if you don't want to mess with the wiring, you can walk into a best buy and for $50-$75, they will wire you up using your hardware - just make sure they follow MarcusF's printed out directions - and ask if you can watch, not that way, c'mon... just so you learn and make sure they don't mess up.

I'm keeping the bose amps/speakers too, until they blow - ye ole bose has better components than many of today's new product! - but the rest of the D2B hardware is getting yanked.

#6 ·
I just posted my question to another thread in this forum but perhaps someone hear has the answer to where do I connect in the harness plug which appears to be for a Bose amplifier differential signal. Just installing a Kenwood KDC X395 in my son's car. His amp and speakers worked great til the head unit died.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.