Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

creaking/loose sound from dashboard

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tirona 
#1 ·
just like the title says, my dashboard is making creaking noises when going over bumps or potholes, especially now that the roads are terrible because of the snow and also snow tires don't help either. it started a little over a year ago and has got worse over the past few months, it sounds like the dashboard is coming loose. my front suspension is in good shape, ball joints 2 years old, couple months old swaybar links and bushings and lca bushings. the noise is not terribly bad, but i don't want to get used to it and would like to take care of it it. is there any screws in the dashboard that come loose that i need to tighten? where should i look? thanx in advance

#2 ·
A lot of the dashboard parts are just friction fit. Unfortunately friction fit is more likely to creak because of .... well, friction. :crybaby2: If you look at my DIY for replacing the vent lights, you'll see what I mean. Best would be to try and detect exactly which part of the dashboard, e.g. left, right, center, top bottom. If for example center, I would remove and refit the center pieces, starting with the gearshift surround and working up to the piece surrounding the radio and aircon controls, replacing any dead bulbs at the same time.

#3 ·
thanx kobus, i will take a look at your diy. i really don't want to take things apart but i'm gonna have to. it seems that most of the creaking sound is coming from driver side, mainly behind the instrument cluster. thing is i have never taken anything apart from dashboard. the only thing is the glove box when i have replaced the cabin filters, but noise doesn't seem to come from there.

#5 ·
i put piece of plastic between windshield and dashboard on driver side and middle, and that seems to have fixed 90% of the creaking. anyone has had similar problem? i don't want thing of plastic sticking out, anyone knows what would work better to cushion the area between dashboard and windshield in order to prevent creaking sound?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.